Deep spiritual songs without being religious

Hey, anybody that can help me out, it would be awesome. See, im the "DJ" at my youth group for church. And we are gonna plan a night to come listen to music that isnt christian, but has somewhat of a hidden, deep meaning, showing that you can have God work through you without singing about Jesus. Any kind of song would be awesome, a couple cuss words would be tolerated, just not deathmetal, lol.

Edited by Guest

Flood by Jars of Clay

Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel

Gloria by U2

Tai Shan by Rush

Mercy Beat by The The

Snowbound by Genesis

All of the bands/artists that I listed above tend to write sprititual songs. Jars of Clay is actually a Christian band with some crossover, I don't like all their music but "Flood" is a great song. The The is a similar group but I like them a lot better than Jars of Clay. You might describe them as a pop group who's songs could all crossover into the Christian category Jars of Clay fits into. Excellent keyboard and piano work as well. Hopefully you've already heard of the other four groups that I listed. There are many other songs that I could have listed by each. Check out the Songfacts lyrics for some of their other songs you might want to use. Some of Rush's songs have a 'darker' type sound or title that might not go over so well at a youth group gathering, "Witch Hunt" off Moving Pictures isn't about witches but it still might not be the best song for what you seem to be looking for. U2 also has some songs that are more political than spiritual, like "New Year's Day". Genesis has some songs that are just silly, "Illegal Alien" for example. You should be safe for the most part with Peter Gabriel but again, check out the lyrics to make sure. I don't think "Shock the Monkey" has anything to do with spirituality.

Deep meaningful songs, huh? Well I know a few.

Man In The Box-Alice In Chains (just a little bit of "cussing" no f word though, so everything should be fine)

Imagine-John Lennon (obvious why I chose it, just a great song, very philosophical)

Time-Pink Floyd(my favorite by them)

A Day In The Life-The Beatles (lots of meaning in this one)

Come Together-The Beatles(you could spend hours trying to interpret this one, its fun, me and my friends do it all the time)

I Am The Walrus-The Beatles(same reason as Come Together)

God-John Lennon

Heart Shaped Box-Nirvana

I have more, I'll post 'em later though.

Well, for classical music you can use Beethovens "Ode to Joy". This is one of my favorites. Unfortunately it is not sung in English so unless you have a way of presenting the English translation is such a way to make an impact the point is going to be lost.

If its going to be a small group you can rent Herbert Von Karajan's DVD and turn on the subtitles. ? Anyway, here is the translation to the closing of the composition:

"...Be embraced, all ye millions!

With a kiss for all the world!

Brothers, beyond the stars

Surely dwells a loving Father.

Do you kneel before Him, oh millions?

Do you sense the Creator's presence?

Seek Him beyond the stars!

He must dwell beyond the stars. "

LINK TO MORE INFO

I'll try to come up with better suggestions later. :)

I'll try to come up with better suggestions later. :)

OK, that didn't take long... :)

How about Alan Jacksons, "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning"? It's Country so consider yourself 'warned'! :)

""...I'm just a singer of simple songs;

I'm not a real political man

I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran

But I know Jesus and I talk to God

And I remember this from when I was young

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us And the greatest is Love."

A few songs popped in my head that have a comfortable place being played at church.

Let It Be - The Beatles

Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

One Toke Over the Line - Brewer and Shipley

The Lord's Prayer - Sister Janet Mead

White Bird - It's a Beautiful Day

oohh, muziktyme, I love 'The Lord's Prayer' by Sister Janet. She does a great rendition.

I could suggest 'My Sweet Lord' by George Harrison, or would that be too obvious?

I went to a catholic high school and I remember that they played 'Bittersweet Symphony' in mass once. But we never got to do anything cool like you psychocatholic!

I also would think about:

Turn! Turn! Turn! (There Is A Season) by The Byrds

Keep The Faith by Bon Jovi

Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Heart shaped box, anti abortion song.

This one is a long shot, seeing that many people think this guy is satanistic (he's not) but

Crazy Train, by Ozzy. This song is all about people needing to come together and settle their differences. The only problem is he says "ive listened to preachers. Ive listened to fools." he says them seperately but it sounds like he says "Ive listened to preachers listened to fools". The preachers at your church my feel insulted if Ozzy calls them fools.

Any kind of song would be awesome, a couple cuss words would be tolerated, just not deathmetal, lol.

I find it kind of strange that any church would allow some cuss words in the music they will play for the church's youth group. I doubt Jesus will come to that party.

I find it kind of strange that any church would allow some cuss words in the music they will play for the church's youth group. I doubt Jesus will come to that party.

Some cuss words are used for emphasis. Are we gonna say, its wrong to have it in music at church, when ppl say it everyday. I understand, cussing isnt the best thing in the world, but each word has meaning. If the music has D**N or Hell or something of that stature, i dont think that Jesus will be offended. If he is offended by that, then he is offended by most of the world.

I know this should not turn into a religious argument so I will say only one thing and you can interpret it any way you wish. I am of a Christian background and I can say that if there was any doubt of something that should or shouldn't be done I would ask myself "what would Jesus do?" and then follow my heart.

I could suggest 'My Sweet Lord' by George Harrison, or would that be too obvious?

I went to a catholic high school and I remember that they played 'Bittersweet Symphony' in mass once. But we never got to do anything cool like you psychocatholic!

I also would think about:

Turn! Turn! Turn! (There Is A Season) by The Byrds

Keep The Faith by Bon Jovi

Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

It wouldnt be too obvious, i mean, id enjoy all these songs even if i didnt play it at Youth. You guys have helped me ALOT! My Youth Minister sends his Thanks!

Oh, and by the way, if you wanna talk cool....We took the words from the mass song....City of God and put it to the tune of Freebird and played it in church. It fits PERFECTLY! Words match up, and the tune is perfect for it.

:rockon:

Imagine by John Lennon....after all, it's a prayer. Maybe too obvious.

If ya wanna get the little buggers swayin with a little dip in the hip and some glide in the stride try Are You Ready by Pacific Gas and Electric.

How 'bout Joan Siberry and kd lang's "Calling All Angels"?

John Prine has some mysteriously spiritual songs that ought to fit:

. Please Don't Bury Me

. Angel From Montgomery (Bonnie Raitt covered this)

. Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore

Prine's lyrics are poetic, completely corny, amusing and serious -- all at the same time. And there's one more:

. Jesus the Missing Years (I know that one even has 'Jesus" in the title, but, trust me, don't let that or 'Angel' or 'Heaven' make you dismiss these songs without checking them out. They are not blatantly religioso by any stretch -- more just good clean fun with a couple cuss words.