Beatles - Hey Jude

Mike

Hey Jude - Songfacts

43262e2631d78.jpg

Paul and Julian had a wonderful friendship and closeness as Julian grew up, and Julian recalled that there went lots of pictures of he and Paul, more so than there were on him with his father, John.

"Hey Jude" is one of the most successful song The Beatles ever released. It was recorded in two days at the Trident Studios, London, on July 31 and August 1, 1968, using a 36-piece orchestra, and by the end of that year had sold more than five million copies.

At the time of its release, Hey Jude was the longest song ever released as a single at seven minutes and eleven seconds.

John Lennon added a four-letter word that is hidden deep in the song around the three-minute mark, and the intro (From the heart of the black country: When I was a robber in Boston place You gathered round me with your fine embrace) , was spoken by John and Paul. Pauls mention of "Boston place," which is a small London street where The Beatles' company Apple had just installed an electronics laboratory. In a more familiar scene, Boston street was that street in which The Beatles ran for the title sequence of their film A Hard Day's Night, John spoke of the "black country," which was the name of the old smoke-stack industrial region in the middle of England. This introduction can be heard on the version included on The Beatles Anthology 3.

This song spent 19 weeks on the charts

longer than any other Beatles song.

I wrote this some time ago on another thread:

I read on the official Beatles book a story about "Hey Jude". When they were to release the single, Paul had the brilliant idea to put posters on the windows of the Apple Boutique they owned by then in London. The posters just had a big "Hey, Jude!" written on it. Some hours after he did, some guy asked Paul why he was puting that on the shop´s window, asking "Why, are you an antisemitic? Why do you hang posters saying "Jude", like in the Third Reich with the shops of the Jews?" Then McCartney understood "Jude" was the mean word for Jews in Germany and that it really looked like if it was some bad trip to the past...and he took away all the promo immediately.