How busted are you??

PSYCHOcatholic

I probably have around 200-300 songs downloaded on my computer. My real passion is used CDs. At my favorite store the standard price is $8.99 and you get a card that they will stamp so every tenth CD is free. I've bought literally 100's of these. I get rid of the cases and store them in those notebooks with their liner notes. Until downloading music was available, I would buy any CD even if I just liked one song.

My favorite thing about downloading music is that I can now get that one song without having to purchase the whole CD. It's also a great way to get some of those 'one hit wonder' songs that you might not be able to find even at a used CD store. The first downloaded song that comes up on my list is "88 lines about 44 women" by the Nails. It comes up first because it's title starts with a number and I sort the folder by song name. For years I looked for this song in stores and never could find it. The first night I used the old Napster, it was the first song that I downloaded.

It's also how I found out that "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan wasn't a Violent Femmes song from a CD I could not find. That was a frustrating search also. I thought that it was some 'solar' theme the group was trying to develop along with "Blister in the Sun". Napster cleared up that confusion up as well.

I also have about 2800 songs, about 2000 from kazaa and the rest from my cd library. But everything is predominantly pre 1980, mostly 50's and 60's.

Cindy, I too had a symbolic first download on the old Napster. Years and years of looking for a song from 2 out of print albums (4 Deuces - W.P.L.J. ) took 10 seconds to download. After that I was hooked.

Way back when, upgrading from cassettes, my symbolic first buy cd was Electric Ladyland / Hendrix.

I started by downloading stuff that I couldn't walk into a CD store and purchase. This was I got hold of full albums such as "Back In '72" by Bob Seger, which would have cost me well over A$100 to purchase on vinyl second hand and isn't available on CD.

This was before I discovered legal download sites such as songfight.org.

But I have created a great deal of material myself from CDs and vinyl. I also have the complete Songfight archive on about 10 CDs too. Neglecting the songfight stuff, I'd have around 1500 MP3s on 10 mp3 cds.

• 3 months later...

9.05 GB

2,550 Files (this may include non music files though, such as album art)

Most of my music on the computer is direct off the CD though, WAV files are approximately twice as large as mp3's, out of my entire record collection, I really don't have that many albums put on there. Collecting music has always been a passion of mine. I avoid using Kazaa, Winmx, etc as there's too much of a security risk involved, but I will do it occasionally to get a taste of a certain artist, that I'm not too familiar with. I'm also guilty of providing many tracks (including 192 bit .wav) over these peer to peer file sharing networks for others to download.

• 2 years later...

Downloading from Youtube is legal? :P I have some 200 songs that way. I have lots of music, I didn´t count it, maybe 2000 songs or more. I used to burn cds with them and then delete them so I could save memory and wouldn´t have to turn the computer on every time I want music... now I don´t, cause my cd burner died a year ago.

yes, or at least downloading from youtube isn't illegal... :)

it's a funny thing, the actual DOWNLOADING isn't illegal (just like recording from the radio isn't) - the UPLOADING is though, and unfortunatly in a P2P programm (Limewire etc.) you do both simultanously, at least in theorie...

:P