Why is Emo Music so Popular?

EagleEye0

Emo Phillips is still around, but -- Believe It or Not -- he looks like this nowadays.

makeover.jpg

I once had a large gay following, but I ducked into an alleyway and lost him.

I was in a bar the other night, hopping from barstool to barstool, trying to get lucky, but there wasn't any gum under any of them.

You know what I hate? Indian givers...no, I take that back.

People come up to me and say, "Emo, do people really come up to you?"

Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.

How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

My classmates would copulate with anything that moved, but I never saw any reason to limit myself.

Sorry I hijacked the thread for the sake of these classic one-liners, but there's no wonder why this Emo is a hit.

You can resume the music discusion when you stop laughing.

Emo isn't so much a genre as an attitude, it's mostly made by pop-rock artists who pretend to be depressed because it's trendy. Usually they are depressed about their girlfriend who dumped them. They wear black clothes because "it shows the world their emotions." And "emo" is short for "emotional." Most emo groups happen to play fluff-punk or fluff-punk with a little bit of indie.

Emo

When I hear "emo", I think of older bands like Sunny Day Real Estate and Fugazi, not really those power-pop or punk-pop bands. But you're right, it is derived from the word "emotional" and is all about attitude. I guess bands that don't have that attitude would be classified under power/punk-pop, so IMO emo is a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Emo confuses me, a guy i know got all wierd when i asked him what it was after he was listing what music he likes, he pretty much just looked at me and then walked away- such a drama queen.

I looked it up on the internet coz i was curious and it is Emotional Punk rock, i only recognised a few 'emo'bands on the site and they're not exactly my favourites so i'm guessing I'm not a big emo fan.

This isn't the best answer to the question since i really wouldn't know why emo is popular, i didn't even know it was popular.

"Why is Emo popular?" This is a question that I have been pondering for a very long time, and I've come up with this. Depression is trendy.

hahaha, I was about to say the same thing! All the cool kids are depressed these days. "But moooooooooom, if you don't buy me the emo clothes, nobody will think I'm sad! How can I be happy if nobody thinks I'm sad?"

• 2 months later...

I think Emo Phillips is the only Emo I like. It used to just be about the music genre but then it turned into a sterotype of people who listen to the music too. A few girls were watching 'Emo' videos in computer class and it was just showing pictures and then it shows all these kids tring to be 'cool' and depressed. Then it shows The Rocky Picture Horror Show and then says Transvistite. I was so pissed that , that movie was mentioned in that video I unplugged the moniter and computer from power and threw the cords ahlf way across the room. Seriously. I was extremely pissed with that emo crap already. Then I looked at one girl in my class' site. And it said this is for the 'hard core emo fan' and all it was was pics of guys kissing guys. I did a wikipedia about it and I usggest you to do the same. I still don't see why it had The Rocky Horror Picture show in there but I am still pisses about it and what the word means now. If it was just about the music that is one thing but this crap has went too far. Call your depression, guys kissing, guys wearing odd make up (Not cool like Kiss or Twiseted Sister :P) and pathetic attemps of making yourself look 'cool' something else. Also once the comptuer came back to plug in her moniter and computer because she didn't know how to :P she watched the video from where it left off and at the end it said I like tacos. Now they are bringing Mexican food into it. Also the unplugging was also because I was sick of this emo crap and not just having that movie in there.

Add:

"But moooooooooom, if you don't buy me the emo clothes, nobody will think I'm sad! How can I be happy if nobody thinks I'm sad?"

It was snappy, funny, true and mentioned a mom. I believe that is a burn.

Edited by Guest