The Best Female Vocal Stylist

purplepuddle

In the past 50 years, which female artist would make the top three (3)?

Example: Janis Joplin, Linda Ronstadt, Ann Wilson, Mama Cass, Etta James, Brenda Lee, Aretha...

O.K. Category: ROCK

Remember depending on the era, most of these women were considered rock. Most mainstream music was however based on Rhythm & Blues.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, when you say 'stylist', that automatically tosses out Etheridge and Joplin. Screechers, not singers. Nothing stylish about it.

Dinah Washington is my love as far as someone who could use her voice any way she chose. Inflection, pitch, resonance. She had it all. Vulnerable angst one moment, daring playfulness the next. She had complete command of her voice, and knew how to use it in the context of the song, how to give lyrics a living, breathing personality.

Too often these days, women showcase their powerful voices ( and yes, there are some great voices out there), but they have no clue how to contol it, to use it as an instrument, as part of the song. Today it's just "Here's my great voice and my great range, and oh yea, there's some music in the background but I'm the star so look at me and me only" Bah.

A prime example of this is that nit-wit Mariah Carey. She has to hit the highest note she can, and the lowest note she can, on every stinking song. And every note in between. Beat us over the head with it every time. It gets tiresome. "Look at my incredible range" So? You want to impress me? Blend into your song. Be secure enough to enhance the song, not comandeer it.

A good example of a great singer today, who understands her voice, and knows how to use it, is Tracy Chapman. Her songs are made better because she knows how to sing.

That's the difference. Just because you can sing doesn't mean you know how.

Edited by Guest

I like Sandy Denny from Fairport Convention, and a lot of other women folk singers from that era: Joan Baez; that Native American girl who sang the song "Codine" and "Universal Soldier" ... what was her name?; and to a lesser degree Joni Mitchell. It's a shame only a few young, attractive female singers today have achieved an acceptable level of repect within the music community solely through the emotional impact of their songs and without having to rely on sex appeal.

Hi Mate. Just sent you a private message. Hello to edna and all my other friends too. I haven't been getting in here as much as I'd like to lately. :(

Has jr put Celine Dion yet??? :)

Katie and Shawna, don't forget Christine McVie !

Even though "Rhiannon" by Stevie is my favorite Mac song, "Little Lies" and "You Make Lovin' Fun" by Christine are way up there too. ;)

I also enjoy Eva Cassidy, although her voice doesn't have the sharp clarity of Dinah Washington's. She is more along the lines of a Diana Ross type vocalist, I think. Wonderfully soft and lilting.

Etta James has more b^lls when she sings, I think. She has a...dangerous quality when she sings.

Just my opinion.

Like HDT, I prefer altos to sopranos. (Julie Andrews is a notable exception. God, what a glorious voice!) Some of my favourite female singers are Anne Murray (pop music), Mary Chapin Carpenter (folk/pop/country), Jane Olivor (pop), Bonnie Raitt(blues/R&B/rock), Natalie Cole(blues/pop), Linda Ronstadt (rock/pop/golden oldies) and Sandy Denny (folk/pop). I love Denny's versions of Crazy Man Michael and Fotheringay.