List 15

invisible_r

as elvy suggested i start the new list with some reccomendations, here goes

the doors- "the doors"

The doors are one of my favorite bands, and i've chosen this album because it contains some of their greatest hits i.e. "break on through", "light my fire" and "the end". With the exception of "the end", it is perhaps their less weird album, as the songs are slighlty more "accesible" than their other albums, with the feeling being less dark. The songs are still amazing, with the lyrics being very meaningful, plus i love te keyboards (probably the initial attraction to the doors for me)

Franz Ferdinand

Franz Ferdinand are wicked. I bought their album laste year after hearing so much about them, and got hooked. Ok, so the lyrics are not meaningful and depressing, like most of the music i like, but it doesn't matter because they are great great fun! "take me out", their greatest hit is probably my favorite, as i love the change is melody in the middle of the song, which makes it more rocky, but also great fun to dance to. other great songs include "michael", "dark of the matinee" (the reference to terry wogan is quite funny), and "darts of pleasure" which is also very sexy! All in all, a great album

Edited by Guest

I'll vote for The Doors, good choice Rachel, that's my fave Doors album too :thumbsup:

trex.jpg

Electric Warrior by T-Rex

This is the album that kick started the glam rock craze!

From allmusic:

Electric Warrior stands the test of time so well — despite its intended disposability — is that it revels so freely in its own absurdity and willful lack of substance. Not taking himself at all seriously, Bolan is free to pursue whatever silly wordplay, cosmic fantasies, or non sequitur imagery he feels like; his abandonment of any pretense to art becomes, ironically, a statement in itself. Bolan's lack of pomposity, back-to-basics songwriting, and elaborate theatrics went on to influence everything from hard rock to punk to new wave. But in the end, it's that sense of playfulness, combined with a raft of irresistible hooks, that keeps Electric Warrior such an infectious, invigorating listen today.

the doors- "the doors"

No doubt, The Doors debut album is an incredible album.

I first owned it on 4-TRACK, that's right before 8-TRACK was 4-TRACK. I had a car player in my room and it was hooked-up to an old NAPA battery charger to supply it with 12VDC. I had speakers wired up to it and hand twisted together with masking tape wrapped around the bare-bound copper wire.

I'd flip on the power switch, a familiar hum from the transformer inside the charger would begin to pulse with life, I'd carefully rotate the volume knob on the chrome plated Munson top-load 4-TRACK deck and I gently pulled back the lever that drew up the drive wheel from beneath the surface of the player deck and into the body of the tape cartridge pinching the tape against the capstan and squealing the tape into motion. Then as the speakers crackled to life, I'd hear a drumstick beating on the edge of a drum head and a cymbal and then riff joined in, then a another and at a pace as if a race had just began. It was the opening to Break on through to the other side.

Oh what a great sound, then Soul Kitchen, The Crystal Ship, 20th Century Fox, Alabama song / whiskey bar, Light My fire, and on and on, closing with my favorite The End!

What a great album... excuse me... I'm going to go listen to this now, if you can not do this also...you should envy me only long enough to get your own copy of this. If you only own TWO DOORS CD's This one and LA Woman. Oh, and if you want a real treat, listen to this on vinyl, you will have and out-of-body experience!

Wait... you also have to own Soft Parade.

Oh, and your really ought to pick up Waiting for the sun while you are at it.

Ok, now I can go listen.

Edited by Guest
...like a lays potato-chip....

that was very sweet pinkfloyd! anyway i think you should own them all, i bought the box set , which also comes in a really cool case and all the cds look like the original vinyls, so from my point of view, that was great investment! plus it wasn't expensive at all considering it has 7 (or 8, can't remember) cds in it!

43280ce996737.jpg

Here is another debut album that has been a staple in my colletion nearly since it's release.

One of the seventies top debut albums, possibly the best. The bluesy basic rock is so awesome, I can sit back and listen to these fabulous, timeless 8 songs over and over and over again.

You really cannot put in to words, at least words thatw ould do this album justice, listen to the samples and you'll see what I mean.

I really think the definition of classic rhythm and blues should list this as the number one meaning. Rock steady!

-Mike

Mike, can you recommend me a few tracks of that album??

Absolutely... the first eight are the best... no, ...wait the last eight. Nope, I'll stick with the first eight.

I'd say it's the second best debut album after Boston.

Try sampling the tracks at amazon Link

Edited by Guest
to actually leave a serious reply

I'm not going to go with one of my usual recommendations this time:

B000002VEB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Whitney" ~ Whitney Houston

This album was released in 1987, which made me about 4 years old at the time, it is one of the key albums in my childhood, and I only recently rediscovered the cassette while looking in a box in Mums loft. This was the first album by a female singer to debut at number one in America and Britain, and listening to the album for the first time, you would have a hard job picking out the singles...most tracks are equally strong, and a good mix between ballads and catchy pop tunes. This album secured Whitney's place as the era's top female artist.

TRACK LISTING

1. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)

2. Just The Lonely Talking Again

3. Love Will Save The Day

4. Didn't We Almost Have It All

5. So Emotional

6. Where Are You

7. Love Is A Contact Sport

8. You're Still My Man

9. For The Love Of You

10. Where Do Broken Hearts Go

11. I Know Him So Well

I'll vote for The Doors, good choice Rachel, that's my fave Doors album too :thumbsup:

trex.jpg

Electric Warrior by T-Rex

This is the album that kick started the glam rock craze!

From allmusic:

I second that motion!

I suggest "In A Glass House" by Gentle Giant. Gentle Giant is a progressive rock band, which sounds like a more concise, more electronic version of Yes. They are much less accessible, than Yes, and instead of trying to blow your mind, Gentle Giant focuses on making beautiful and interesting music. The first song on the album, "The Runaway" is a prime example of a great Gentle Giant song. It's intricately layered, and goes through many changes. Another highlight is the incredibly catchy "Way of Life" which at times is almost like a dnace song, but at times majestic, at times medievel, at times it even has an aquatic feel to it. One of the most interesting songs is "Inmates Lullaby." It is done with only percussion and vocals. The best way to describe the timpani's playing in the background is a quiet explosion. The part with timpani's sounds playful, powerful (like a gentle giant!). The part with the xylophones sounds eerie, yet creepily cheery. It is these kinds of subtle emotions that Gentle Giant uses in In A Glass House that make it an essential listen for any fan of proggressive rock, or just plain good musicianship.

Nobody needs further evidence that, musically-speaking, I live in the past

but I need to recommend this "Old Faithful" of Funky Soul Saxophone Power.

shotgun.jpg

Shotgun ~ Junior Walker & The All-Stars

I can't call this a timeless album because it exudes a 1960s R&B kick, that successfully escaped the constraints imposed on other contemporary artists by Motown’s reliance on an essentially standardized product.

from various sources:

"In early 1965, the band scored their first big hit with a dance tune that Walker had written called Shotgun, which marked Junior's vocal debut. In fact, the only reason he sang the song was that the vocalist he'd hired didn't show up for the session, and he was somewhat flabbergasted by the label's decision to leave his vocal intact. It went to number four on the pop chart, and signaled the arrival of Junior Walker and the All Stars.

Many of the group's hits in the mid-60's were instrumentals and/or party songs. Do The Boomerang, (I'm A) Road Runner ... and others were played on radio stations across America from 1965 onward. The group toured and played ... to filled venues, and at times were reminiscent to some of the jump bands of the 40's."

Junior Walker died a decade ago. His style is imitated, but can never be duplicated.

Here is some more information on "In A Glass House." If you haven't noticed allready, I REALLY!!! want this album to get picked! Moreso, I want all you prog fans to listen to it. Fans of Yes, Genesis, King Crimson...listen to this! It is by no means accessible, but if you enjoy terrific musicianship, you'll love this album!!!

Another album I think should be picked is "The Inner Mounting Flame" by the Mahavishnu Orchestra

B0000247OZ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It is one of the best and most well known albums of the "fusion" genre (which is a genre that fuses rock n roll and jazz). All the musicians in this instrumental band are terrific, but two particularly stand out. Billy Cobham is an amazing drummer, one of the best in rock, and one of the best in jazz. And John McGlaughlin is one of the best guitarists you'll ever hear. His guitar tone is great, and he has incredible technique, and there is a lot of emotion in his playing. This album is very chaotic, yet is never out of control. It is one of the most exciting albums I have ever heard. You simply can not play this album loud enough. Any fan of guitar, rock, drums, or jazz MUST listen to this.

• 2 weeks later...

Especially for Mama Peachy, a Music of Choice list dominated by self-titled albums (rather than greatest hits) :grin:

Shotgun - Jr. Walker & The Allstars

The Doors

Electric Warrior - Mark Bolan & T Rex

Franz Ferdinand

The Kilborn Alley Blues Band

Stay tuned. MoC updates are coming soon!