maximo park

invisible_r

i don't know much about them , except that they were nominated for mercury prize of british album of the year. i heard a couple of songs and they seem quite cool :) i'm seeing them in october as they are supporting the kaiser chiefs

maximo park

Amazon.co.uk Review

This, the debut album from rakish Northern English post-punks Maximo Park, is certainly not the sort of album you expect to find on acclaimed techno label Warp Records – but a sitting spent with A Certain Trigger should neatly demonstrate why they couldn't say no. A hyper-tuneful indie-rock outfit in the vein of XTC, Gang of Four, and particularly modern peers The Futureheads, Maximo turn out the sort of breathless, keyboard-drenched art-pop numbers that neither forsake their Englishness – frontman Paul Smith sings in his native accent, a broad Newcastle accent – nor bow excessively to the past. The immediate hit is "Apply Some Pressure", an instantly catchy mini-masterpiece of tension and relief that appears to be stitched out of the hooks from about five other songs – but hot on its heels come the likes of "Graffiti" and "Going Missing", which, while slow-burning, prove no less addictive in the long haul. And for all the smart assery on display, Maximo Park prove agreeably adept at pulling off the odd tender moment: see the sweet, chiming "The Coast Is Always Changing" – a tale of love, loss and long-distant train journeys. --Louis Pattison

yes, these guys are solid up and comers. their sound is in the same vein as Franz ferdinand, The killers (minus the keys), the hives, etc. Maximo Park definately bring another perspective to the scene.

noteworthy tracks:

Apply Some Pressure

Graffiti

The Coast is Always Changing

The Night I Lost my Head

• 1 month later...

hso I saw them live yesterday in the nme tour like bluezman said, and they were really really good! I haven't written much about them in my review of the gig, because I focused more on the kaiser chiefs, but basically, i really liked their sound, they used keyboards alot, which i really love, and their songs were quite solid. the lead singer is very energetic, and i think they were so happy to be playing brixton academy, they gave their best self ! so I am buying the album today

• 1 year later...

they are an english band fron newcastle, nominated for the mercury prize two years ago (I think) for their debut album "a certain trigger", which had hits like "Graffiti" and "apply some pressure". I saw them supporting the kaiser chiefs two years ago, they were pretty good so I bought the album, which is also pretty good. The song you posted is from the new album which I haven't bought, although I like the singles "girls with guitars" and "our velocity"