Gilligans Island

Mike

There has been so much talk about GI lately with the passing of Maynard...oops I mean Gilligan... ooops I mean Bob.

The show was very funny, it made you laugh, it made a child feel smart (similar to Beverly Hillbillies) the slap-stick comedy and sight-gags were hilarious. The writing was superb. And the cast was up to task to carry off this incredible farce.

People try to analyze the show... that's so stupid in itself, it's a comedy! It was purposely extremely ridiculous. It was designed to relieve stress from a hard days work, or a tedious day at school. To get people out of "reality" and allow them to relax, when you laugh.. you relax.

The network execs tried to kill it, like the Bev Hillbillies because these shows were sooooooooooo stupid, but the viewers liked them, more than Gunsmoke, but an executives wife liked Gunsmoke, so the rumor has it... when a cut had to be made... GI got the ax even though Gunsmoke had lower rating (Nielsen).

I hope our society never forgets how to have a little innocent fun, for the sake of our civilization, I hope we can still be a little goofy and enjoy it. I hope everything doesn't have to be so rigidly serious and make logical sense, cuz that means childhood is forgotten and lost!

You know what's great about this show, is there is no real time to it, so it can never be dated, you know?

A few years ago, my kids were 6, maybe 7, and when school let out, we decided to let them stay up an extra hour, until 9:30pm.

Well, the very first morning after they stayed up, they told me, "Dad, you have to watch this cool new show! It's called Gilligan's Island"

LOL. It was on Nick at Nite, but they never saw it, because they had to go to bed early. I'll tell you, they watched it every single night, and I watched it with them. It's wholesome, inane fun. LOL.

The opening scenes and some island scenics were filmed in Hawai'i. "A three hour tour" from Kewalo Basin boat harbor, where charter tour boat companies operate, would land you on Moloka'i. The channel between O'ahu and Moloka'i can be very rough on small boats, and some have disappeared without a trace. (If they're blown South, it's 2K miles to Tahiti; North, it's well over 2K miles to Alaska/Canada/Washington/Oregon.) West Moloka'i is the dry, sandy desert side, while East Moloka'i is the wet/jungle-like side, and most folk live in the middle at Kauanakakai. If the castaways landed on the North coast, there's Kalaupapa, the Leper/Hansen's Disease colony. This "real Gilligan's island" has everything but head hunters, though the locals are leery of obnoxious visitors and carpetbaggers.