Napster: Cd's going the way of carbon paper

RonJonSurfer

Public Will Soon Download All Their Music

The downloading service Napster says CD sales will soon be no more.

Music downloading service Napster U.K. has predicted it is only "a matter of time" before the public stops buying CDs in favor of downloading tunes. The company asked its 750,000 members if they still purchase CDs - 150,000 replied to say they do not.

Napster U.K.'s Leanne Sharman says, "I think it's only a matter of time until consumers are wanting digital platforms as their number one method for music consumption. We believe we're in a transitional period. And we believe we will see an increased demand for online personalised music services because it's all about how much time do people have these days? People want music one click away - one click away from all the music you could ever want, which is what Napster offers."

Sharman adds that record companies should not worry because the overall demand for music has increased and fans are buying their music in many different ways.

I agree with Uncle Joe. I bet it is a small percentage of the total population that owns the proper technology for downloading large volumes of music. I think CD's will be around for years. When they become obsolete, imagine the bargains we will pick up. CD players will be part of our culture for a long time. Vinyl and 8 tracK went away. but cassettes can still be bought, albeit not easily. The record companies know this and will support all distribution methods of music.

I find it more likely that Napster will be "History" before the humble music CD. There I was, at the local indie music/comic book/paraphernalia store, doing an "Indiana Jones" in their $5 CD racks, when I unearthed some items of interest. If it weren't for people getting bored with their CDs and dropping them off at Jelly's, one would have to troll eBay for obscure items. (For the record, the three Etta James and the one Duke Ellington music CD were added to the basket for a significant other.) So i now have another Boney James CD and sizzling flamenco guitar work by Charo! :beatnik:

eventually, human beings will become obsolete.

:laughing: :laughing:

I agree with UncleJoe and RonJon, it´s hard to make cds disappear, there´s a whole industry by now. Vinyls lost the race after the cassete tapes were in the market for at least twenty years, and they still exist and are being made (I mean, cassettes) People just cannot change all their stocks and supports every twenty years and mp3 is just like a walkman, it doesn´t offer any more information than music.

Downloading music might be another way of making money but what will institutions like ASCAP and all their similars worldwide do?