Radiohead

jman14141414

Hey, I love Radiohead. They are one of a few awesome modern rock and roll outfits; the others being RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Acceptance, and Rage Against The Machine. If you are new to Radiohead, you ought to consider buying their magnum opus, OK COmputer released in 1997. This album rivals Pink Floyd's Ummagumma regarding consistency. Thom Yorke's vocals remain unmatched by his comtempories (i.e. Billy Corgan and John Frusciante). If yuo thoroughly enjoy OK Computer, I strongly reccoment to rewind a couple yaers and purchase THE BENDS. This album, in my opinion, is a small notch lower than OK COMPUTER, OK Computer, yet Amazon.com reviewers gave this album an overall rating of five starts while OK COMPUTER meritted 4 stars. or somethigng like that. If that intrigued you more than OK COMPUTER you arrived at a crossroads. You can travel further down the line and check out Pablo Honey and Amnesia or check out KId A (2000)and Hail to the Theif (2003). You wont regret listening to Radiohead.

Yeah he's pretty on target ('cept it's Anthony Keidis who does vocals for RHCP, Frusciante is the guitarist just FYI)

I'd say go with The Bends tho, it's MILES easier to get into than OK Computer (tho OK Computer is the better album, the Bends is just more accesible)

I agree with you scott, the bends is a perhaps more accessible, although ok computer was my first radiohead album.

anyway, jman, if you need someone to tell you why radiohead are so good then perhaps they are just not the band for you, have you concidered that?i can imagine that they are not to everyone's taste. plus, even I don't want to listen to them 24/7, there is a time and a "mood" for radiohead

083562southpark.gif

Oh!!!!So excited! Finally a thread devoted to one of my top three bands of all time. If you are a Pink Floyd fan (I sure am) one the things you like about them is that listening to one of their albums is an experience. You don't put it on random and you don't fast forward thru any songs. Radiohead's albums are the same. And like PF they use samples of sounds and really experiment with different types of media. You won't find any sappy love songs from this band. Their lyrics can be dark. But hey, if you want light and happy you should buy some bubble gum pop. OK Computer was the first album I had by them. I was in highschool and the time and had just made my transition from the top 40 radio station to the local alt rock station. Don't you just love it when you buy a CD because you heard one the band's songs and you kinda liked. So you get it home, get all the plastic off, go thru the liner notes and listen to the whole thing. Every song justs keeps getting better and better. I love it when that happens. I might have strayed a bit from what I had thought to say. If you really give them a listen make sure to find the lyrics because they can change the whole meaning of the songs for you (and honestly, sometimes they just further confuse you).

Ahhh... :beatnik:

I am saying a little prayer right now that this thread does not die a swift and unnoticed death on these boards. :puppyeyes:

lol, the same is true for me, there is a bit of a gap between the time i heard, and loved, "creep, and buying "ok computer"!

unfortunately the more recent stuff has not been as amazing for me as the previous. i won't say i don't like any of the new albums, but it's just not the same...

have you seen them live? i've seen them twice, once in greece (i actually lost the ticket and went to buy a new one although it was quite expensive!) and once here in london. they only played "creep" in the second gig

I should be so lucky...I have a friend who saw them live...so jealous. I actually dig the new stuff a lot. Each album has its own sound. I actually had the weird experience of really listening to Pablo Honey and The Bends this summer. Since I started with OK Computer I just keep buying the new ones. My friend let me burn his this summer and I was suprised at how different they sound. I really like both albums, but you really can really see the evolution. I just wish that Thom York didn't look like Clay Aiken from Amer. Idol. I wish he had a Robert Plant sexy rock god thing.

Edited by Guest
I put Troy instead of Clay...ha ha

I won't repeat anything Rach, Scott or Aisha has said because I have the same thing to say. I'm a big Radiohead fan, since the day I heard Creep.

If you really want to get into the music but are not sure you like the band, watch their music video's.

Fade out (Street spirit), no surprises, fake plastic trees, just, creep, my iron lung...

Each one a masterpiece to their music and the band as a whole. Just superb.

So poignant, touching, confused, electrified, terrifying, dark, cynical.

I've also been a huge fan since "Pablo Honey", and I can't think of too many groups (except for The Beatles) who showed such artistic growth from one album to the next. "Pablo Honey" was cool, though a little derivative of the whole grunge thing. But "The Bends" just blew me away, and "OK Computer" was from another planet. Even the newer stuff has great moments, though they get a little self-indulgent at times. You can't, however, fault them for that - they're making music for themselves, and if you like it great. If not, there are a million other bands out there.

Anyhoo, if you can find the live "Like Spinning Plates" you're in for a treat. Also, there's a live version of "No Surprises", with only an acoustic guitar and vocals and alternate lyrics, that is absolutely heartbreaking.

Edited by Guest

What album have you been listening to? It's true that some of their stuff can be a little dull, but you just have to get into it (and it's a lot easier to listen to their stuff as a whole.... and really stoned :P )

I've listened to Ok Computer, half of Hail To The Theif and parts of Kid A and Amnesiac.

Ok Computer is decent, I like Let Down, Paranoid Andriod and Karma Police.

anyway, jman, if you need someone to tell you why radiohead are so good then perhaps they are just not the band for you, have you concidered that?

Yes I have many times, but basically everyone keeps telling me that they're the "new pink floyd" and that they're the best band of the 90's etc, so I thought there has to be something I'm missing...

I'd say go with The Bends tho, it's MILES easier to get into than OK Computer (tho OK Computer is the better album, the Bends is just more accesible)

Ok I'll give that one a try.

yes, it is, but you have to be in the right mood, i hadn't thought of radiohead this much in a while. i think it's because i used to listen to radiohead alot when i was lonely and depressed and whenever i do i remember those times.

anyway, my fave to get down with is "fake plastic trees"

"if i could be who you wanted all the time..."