Spyware - It's everywhere!!

Mike

I've noticed there's a lot of websites that somehow set themselves to my homepage without even going there. (using internet explorer) Does anybody know a way to block one or two websites, to where they can never come up?
From Jayson9903 in another thread.

Sounds like Spyware!

Follow this link - Adware download

They say 9/10 computers have spyware on them. I've been told pest patrol is one of the best tools to prevent it from loading on your PC but the afforementioned Adware is free to download.

Most spyware is harmless tracking "cookies" but some can be used to "hijack" your computer and steal info from it. Even use you hard drive to sponsor web content!! ::

FYI.

If you downloaded a program from the Web to get rid of spyware, because an alert window popped up claiming to have "detected" it, then you are likely the victim of that downloaded program doing to you exactly what it promises to protect you from.

We run a program on our PC 24/7 that provides firewall protection. Nothing has gotten past it in the 2 years we've had it installed. The program maintains a log of what someone tried to send out, how they tried to get in, and it lists senders' IP addresses (likely not their own if they are hacks).

We have some other program running too, and now I can actually count how many pop up ads we get in one month. We currently get 15 or less pop up ads vs. the hundreds we used to get in just one week.

Ad-Aware works amazingly! I only have to do it once a week. And this somewhat new anti-virus software gets all the hidden ad ware and spy ware, and its free, it works just as good, if not better than norton. its called AVG. And as for Kazaa---DONT USE IT! Get Kazaa Lite, or K++, use your present original Kazaa or IRC to download it, you cant find it online. It uses no spyware and no adware. the original kazaa or morpheus will give you soo much spyware, adware or trojans, making it alot easier for virus' to destroy your computer!! The only tip i can give you is watch where you surf and watch what you download, get ad aware! :thumbsup:

Do any of you get pop ups that look like this:

messagepopup.gif

If so, to disable it follow the instructions on this site: LINKY POO

Sorry Jason, Messenger Service on Win 98 and ME can not be disabled. That's what you call bad karma coming back to get you for all that pirated software you have! :: ! Cindy, and Catherine, you're next! ;)

PS Jayson, did you ever try going into MSCONFIG to reduce items on start up to free your system resources?

Do any of you get pop ups that look like this:

messagepopup.gif

If so, to disable it follow the instructions on this site: LINKY POO

Sorry Jason, Messenger Service on Win 98 and ME can not be disabled. That's what you call bad karma coming back to get you for all that pirated software you have! :: ! Cindy, and Catherine, you're next! ;)

PS Jayson, did you ever try going into MSCONFIG to reduce items on start up to free your system resources?

You may also download this program, which is what I use?

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

I did go in there and take some off, I've got 11 things that show up when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, is that about right?

My computer is running faster now, but it's still showing about 60% free. I think I could put another gig of memory in there and it would still be around 60%. ::

I did go in there and take some off, I've got 11 things that show up when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, is that about right?

My computer is running faster now, but it's still showing about 60% free. I think I could put another gig of memory in there and it would still be around 60%. ::

Have you checked your system resources immediately after rebooting or starting up, and then compared it to your % after being online and opening up pictures etc?

When you did the ctrl alt delete thing, was this right after start up?

Ya know, I found this site: [ LINK ]. And it confirms that Win 98 and ME are pretty much the same. With that in mind, (I am a former WIN 98 user) here is where your problem lies... System resources are consumed by applications, and system resources are not returned to the system after ending-the only way to get them back is to reboot the system-or switch to WIN 2K, or XP!

Try it out, and see if I am right... compare your system resources at start up, with system resources before you turn the computer off.

If at start up you are still at 60% then there are still some things you need to take out under msconfig.

Last but not least, when you did a reinstall on your computer did you do a clean reinstall... meaning going into FDISK??

It's going to be a LONG HAUL to get to that first 5,000 post mark, but you'll get there! :)

You may also download this program, which is what I use?

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

GRC is a credible site! How did you find out about it?

I found out about it from my computer guru best friend. Since then, I have been suggesting people take the Shields UP test-also on the GRC site-to find out where there computer ranks on security.

I dont have a problem with pop ups or messenger pop ups. I just thought I would pass this along to people that have the problem.

Cheers! ::