• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are a bunch, in case the quote box ever comes back. Hopefully they're all new.

"Rock and roll smells phoney and false. It is sung, played and written for the most part by cretinous goons."

-Frank Sinatra

"Let's face it- rock and roll is bigger than all of us."

-Alan Freed

"My mama said 'You and Elvis are pretty good, but you're no Chuck Berry.'"

-Jerry Lee Lewis

"I was born with music inside me. That's the only explanation I know of."

-Ray Charles

"The music is the main thing and it's just as easy to write acceptable words."

-Bill Haley

"The have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one King."

Bruce Springsteen on Elvis Presley

"Back in those days, all us skinny white British kids were trying to look cool and sound black. And there was Hendrix, the ultimate in black cool. Everything he did was natural and perfect."

-Ronnie Wood

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."

-Decca Recording Company rejecting The Beatles, 1962

"The Who smashed through every door in the uncharted hallway of rock and roll without leaving much more than some debris for the rest of us to lay claim to."

-Eddie Vedder

"Hey, surfing's getting really big. You guys ought to write a song about it."

-Dennis Wilson to Brian Wilson and Mike Love, 1961

"If Woody Guthrie set the bar for American songwriters, Bob Dylan jumped right over it."

-John Mellencamp

"James has more funk in his little finger than most people have in their life."

-Saxophone player Pee Wee Ellis on James Brown

"If you got the feeling, you can sing soul. You just sing from the heart."

-Otis Redding

"Sometimes, I feel I am really blessed to be blind because I probably would not last a minute if I were able to see things."

-Stevie Wonder

"Ours is the folk music of the technological age."

-Jimmy Page

"From '72 to '76 I was the ultimate rock star. I couldn't have been more a rock star. Anything that had to do with being a rock and roll singer was what I was going for."

-David Bowie

"A concert is not a live rendition of our album. It's a theatrical event."

-Freddie Mercury

"What I do now is all my dad's fault, because he bought me a guitar as a boy, for no apparent reason."

-Rod Stewart

"We're the only band that kept the guys, and kept the excitement, and kept the belief, you know. We never sidetracked. We never went the way of The Clash, and never wanted to get into the discotheques that bad."

-Joey Ramone

"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music."

-Sid Vicious

"If you wanted to torture me, you'd tie me down and force me to watch our first five videos."

-Jon Bon Jovi

"I got to think of myself as music. It's really hard to go to sleep at night, I'm always hearing music.

-Prince

"Pop music often tells you everything is OK, while rock music tells you that it's not OK, but you can change it."

-Bono

"Americans want grungy people, stabbing themselves in the head on stage. They get a bright bunch like us, with deodorant on, the don't get it."

-Liam Gallagher

"Rock and roll is a joke, people who take it seriously are the butt of the joke."

-Michael Stipe

"Punk has always been about doing things your own way. What it represents for me is ultimate freedom and a sense of individuality."

-Billie Joe Armstrong

"It's a fine line between writing something with genuine emotional impact and turning into little idiots feeling sorry for ourselves and playing stadium rock."

-Thom Yorke

There, Peaches, that should give you something to do for a while. :susel:

• 4 weeks later...

"I really think that everybody goes through life looking for love in all the wrong places ? in human beings. Unconditional love is impossible to get from a human being, but it's not impossible to get from music."

Joss Stone

Like a lazy flowing river

Surrounding castles in the sky

And the crowd is growing bigger

List'nin' for the happy sounds

And I got to let them fly...

Listen To The Music ~ The Doobie Brothers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...