Suggestions for Current Quote Box

Carl

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I added your quotes, Farin. "The Message" doesn't have any Songfacts and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five don't have Artistfacts.

Here is the updated list of songs and/or artists missing information:

I Shall Not Walk Alone ~ Ben Harper

Fort Worth Blues ~ Guy Clark

The Metal ~ Tenacious D

Long Distance Winner ~ Stevie Nicks

'Til I Gain Control Again ~ Rodney Crowell

Never Thought ~ Roger Clyne

Sleep Like a Baby ~ Roger Clyne

Bloody Mary Morning ~ Willie Nelson

Still is Still Moving to Me ~ Willie Nelson

West Texas Moon ~ Roger Clyne

Slice of Heaven ~ Dave Dobbyns

The Worst Hangover Ever ~ The Offspring

Maggot Brain ~ Funkadelic

Man in Black ~ Johnny Cash

Blue Spanish Sky ~ Chris Isaak

Jeepster - T-Rex

More Than This ~ Roxy Music

Loco to Stay Sane ~ Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers

Don't Let Me Get Me ~ Pink

Life's an Elevator ~ T-Rex

Gone Fishing ~ Chris Rea

Telegram Sam ~ T-Rex

Bad Liver and a Broken Heart ~ Tom Waits

I Can't Stop Dancing ~ Archie Bell & the Drells

Hold On ~ Triumph

Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes ~ Jimmy Buffett

Fantasy ~ Earth, Wind & Fire

One Particular Harbor ~ Jimmy Buffett

From Out of Nowhere ~ Faith No More

Mexican Radio ~ Wall of Voodoo

Better Beautiful Than Perfect ~ Roger Clyne

Rotterdam ~ The Beautiful South

She's Only Happy In the Sun ~ Ben Harper

Tattva ~ Kula Shaker

The Message ~ Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

some artistfacts:

Tenacious D is an American rock band duo composed of musician/actors Kyle Gass (a.k.a. "KG", "Kage","Rage Kage") and Jack Black (a.k.a. "JB", "Jables")

The band first gained popularity in 1999 when they starred in the eponymously titled Tenacious D TV series, in which JB and Kage established themselves as the "Greatest Band on Earth."

Tenacious D released Tenacious D (#38 UK), in 2001. For their first album, they enlisted the help of Dave Grohl on drums, keyboardist Page McConnell of Phish, guitarist Warren Fitzgerald of the Vandals, and bassist Steve McDonald. The Dust Brothers produced the album. The majority of the songs on the album are based on their short-lived HBO television series.

^

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

This is turning into the Peaches and Farin love thread! I adore you, honey!

:afro: :afro: :afro:

v

Edited by Guest
Farin added another fact while I was professing my love for him, so I had to add more props to indicate that I appreciate his taking the time to help me. What do you care why I edited my post anyway? It's my post and I'll do as I choose with it, damn it.

some Songfacts for "the Message":

The song's lyrics were some of the first in the genre of rap to talk about the struggles and the frustrations of living in the ghetto.

The song was written by Sugar Hill session musician Ed "Duke Bootee" Fletcher and Furious Five MC Melle Mel. Flash and the other members of The Furious Five, although credited on the record, were uninterested in recording the song and are not found on the finished record.

Rolling Stone ranked "The Message" #51 in its List of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In 2002, it was one of 50 recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry.

Bloody Mary Morning ~ Willie Nelson

From Phases and Stages, Willie’s second concept album which was recorded in Muscle Shoals, AL. It was inspired by his divorce from second wife, Shirley Collie. Fittingly, the album tells the story of a breakup: side 1 is the woman’s perspective and side 2 is the man’s. Bloody Mary Morning is the album’s biggest hit.

Still Is Still Moving to Me ~ Willie Nelson

According to Willie, the definitive Willie Nelson song:

“…because to me it's a positive song, up-tempo, gets the crowd up and jumpin' around, gets me up. I wrote it, so there must be something in it that speaks to me. I'm not sharp enough to figure out what it is though.â€

Also the title of a PBS documentary in the American Masters series that follows Nelson while on tour.

Just a few Artistfacts:

Born April 30, 1933 in Abbott, Texas. Discovered late in life from an elderly relative that he was actually born just before midnight on the 29th and the doctor didn’t record his time of birth accurately. Now, Willie celebrates both days.

He and his sister Bobbie were raised by their paternal grandparents, who proved to be very influential in developing their love for music. Their grandparents taught them guitar and piano, respectively, with the help of mail-order music lessons.

Wrote his first poem around age four. Began playing guitar (a Sears and Roebuck Stella) at age six and shortly thereafter began putting melodies together with his poems. By age 9 was playing in a band with his sister.

From VH1.com ~ Wall Of Voodoo

Best known for their alternative radio classic "Mexican Radio," Wall of Voodoo formed in Los Angeles in 1977, originally as a soundtrack company. Led by singer/songwriter

Stan Ridgway and rounded out by guitarist Marc Moreland, bassist/keyboardist Bruce Moreland, keyboardist Chas Gray, and drummer Joe Nanni, the group issued their self-titled debut EP in 1980. With the additions of bassist Bruce Moreland and his brother Marc on guitar (replacing Noland), the band's sound crystallized on 1981's full-length Dark Continent, which couched Ridgway's highly stylized and cinematic narratives -- heavily influenced by Westerns and film noir, and sung in the vocalist's distinctively droll, narcoleptic manner -- in atonal, electronically-based settings.

In 1982, following the exit of Bruce Moreland, Wall of Voodoo released their most successful effort, Call of the West, which featured "Mexican Radio," their biggest hit. After an appearance at the 1983 US Festival, Ridgway left the group for a solo career; the remaining members enlisted singer Andy Prieboy, and resurfaced in 1985 with the LP Seven Days in Sammystown. Happy Planet followed two years later, while 1988's live effort The Ugly Americans in Australia* (the asterisk denoting that a few tracks were recorded in Bullhead City, Arizona) effectively closed out the Wall of Voodoo story. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Ben Harper - Artistfacst from allmusic.com

...singer/songwriter Ben Harper had cult status during the course of the '90s but gained wider attention toward the end of the decade. Harper combined elements of classic singer/songwriters, blues revivalists, Jimi Hendrix, and '90s jam bands like Blues Traveler, Hootie & the Blowfish, and Phish, which meant that he was embraced by critics and college kids alike. Though he never had a hit album, his body of work sold consistently and he toured constantly, building a solid, dedicated fan base.

A native of California, Harper grew up listening to blues, folk, soul, R&B, and reggae. As a child, he started playing guitar, and began to perform regularly as a preteen. During his adolescence, he turned toward acoustic slide guitar, which would eventually become his signature instrument. After steady gigging in the Los Angeles area, Harper scored a deal with Virgin Records in 1992. He released his debut album, Welcome to the Cruel World, two years later to positive reviews.

Released in 1995, the politically heavy Fight for Your Mind made for a strong sophomore effort, an obvious growth in musical experimentation and individual declamation. Harper's third album, 1997's The Will to Live, pushed his blues-oriented alternative folk into the middle mainstream, becoming a mainstay at college radio and making inroads at adult alternative radio. Recorded over two years of touring in support of Fight for Your Mind, The Will to Live introduced the Innocent Criminals, Harper's supporting band. The Innocent Criminals — bassist Juan Nelson, drummer Dean Butterworth, and percussionist David Leach — solidified Harper's musical rhythms and emotional diversity.

Aside from working on his own material, Harper has built a strong rapport with other artists, playing guest spots on records by Beth Orton, John Lee Hooker, and Gov't Mule. He played the 1997 and 1999 Tibetan Freedom Concerts, and opened for R.E.M., Radiohead, Metallica, Pearl Jam, and the Fugees. Harper's career gained momentum during 1998-1999. His most successful album to date, 1999's Burn to Shine blended Harper's fondness of '20s jazz compositions and urban beatboxing, resulting in a clever and passionate collection of songs. "Steal My Kisses" and "Suzie Blue" were radio favorites, landing him two headlining world tours and an opening spot on the Dave Matthews Band's summer trek of 2000. In spring 2001, Harper issued Live from Mars, a double disc of live electric and acoustic material spanning the previous year's tour and including covers of material by Led Zeppelin, the Verve, and Marvin Gaye.

When it came to recording his fifth studio effort, Harper went back to his drawing board. He'd circled the world countless times and, naturally, he brashly sang about it on the worldbeat-inspired Diamonds on the Inside, which appeared in March 2003. After a European tour with the Blind Boys of Alabama in 2004, the two acts entered the studio together and laid down ten tracks in two different sessions at Capitol Records' basement studios. The resulting collaborative album (issued under the names of both Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama), There WiIl Be a Light, was released in September of 2004. The CD/DVD set Live at the Apollo followed in fall 2005. The double album Both Sides of the Gun appeared in March 2006 and reached number seven on the Billboard album charts.

Some facts for Chris Isaak from wikipedia:

Christopher Joseph Isaak (born June 26, 1956 in Stockton, California).

First album "Silvertone" released in 1984.

His best-known song is "Wicked Game", released on the 1989 album Heart Shaped World. An instrumental version of the song was later featured in the David Lynch film Wild at Heart (and also years later in the 2000 film The Family Man). Lee Chesnut, an Atlanta radio station music director who was obsessed with David Lynch films, began playing the full version and it quickly became a nation-wide top ten hit. The music video for the song was directed by Herb Ritts and was a big MTV and VH1 hit; shot in black and white, it starred Isaak and model Helena Christensen rolling on the beach, embracing and whispering in each others' ears.

In 1999, Isaak's "Baby Did A Bad, Bad Thing" was featured in Stanley Kubrick's final film, Eyes Wide Shut, starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.

Isaak also composed a theme song for US late-night television variety/talk show, The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn.

In 2001, Chris Isaak starred in his own television show, The Chris Isaak Show. It aired from March 2001 to March 2004 in the United States on the cable television network Showtime. This adult comedy show featured Chris Isaak and his band playing themselves with the episode plots based on fictional accounts of the backstage world of Chris Isaak - the rock star next door.

In 2004, his track "Life Will Go On" was featured on the Chasing Liberty soundtrack, which starred Mandy Moore and Matthew Goode.

Isaak has also appeared in numerous films, mostly playing minor cameo roles, though he starred with Keanu Reeves and Bridget Fonda in the 1993 Bernardo Bertolucci-directed Little Buddha, and also played a major role in David Lynch's Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992). Other motion pictures include Married to the Mob (1988), The Silence of the Lambs (1991), That Thing You Do! (1996), and A Dirty Shame (2004). He also guest-starred on the Super Bowl Sunday (1996) edition of the television sitcom Friends and on the HBO miniseries, From the Earth to the Moon .

Isaak is also an amateur boxer, avid surfer and a former Golden Gloves champion

Ben Harper - Artistfacst from allmusic.com

Plus he's hot :googly: Can that be an official Songfact? :P

From imdb:

Has a son with actress Laura Dern, named Ellery Walker [born 21 August 2001]

Announced engagement to Laura Dern in August 2004.

In fall of 2004 he participated in the Vote for Change concert tour organized to encourage the defeat of George W. Bush in the U.S. presidential election.

Daughter, Jaya, with Laura Dern, born in Los Angeles on 28 November 2004.

Has two children with his ex-wife, son Charles James (C.J.) and daughter Harris.

He is African-American (black father) & Caucasian (white mother)

Two brothers: Joel and Peter Harper.

Son-in-law of Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd.

I thought he and Laura Dern had married...will check it out though..