The "Three" to do it?

you've hit two, but how about the third? Good on you for the two, but the third is so recent you'd not believe how hot it is.

Actually, as skewed as this forum seems to be to a particular format of music, I do'nt believe any of the regulars can even come close! Give it a try, and see if you can figure this one out?

Muzik, I believe you might have the answer? Riddle me this: Like a well built machine with a red line that really "Kicks" it out, this band might be on the edge of something great in a different genre almost never mentioned here except for the hatred column.

you've hit two, but how about the third? Good on you for the two, but the third is so recent you'd not believe how hot it is.

Actually, as skewed as this forum seems to be to a particular format of music, I do'nt believe any of the regulars can even come close! Give it a try, and see if you can figure this one out?

Muzik, I believe you might have the answer? Riddle me this: Like a well built machine with a red line that really "Kicks" it out, this band might be on the edge of something great in a different genre almost never mentioned here except for the hatred column.

Is it USHER?

I recently read that he has three hits in the top ten. Whether or not one #1 hit was displaced by a second #1 hit (as your original question asked) I do not know.

Will someone please just post the answer so I can stop looking at this thread.

I might know the answer to the identity of the mysterious third artist who has done this.

It was George Michael with

"Faith" replacing

"I want your sex"

(sarcastic)

Right?

My real guess would be Elton John who at the time of the release of "Island Girl" accounted for 2% of all music sales in the entire world. Elvis and the Beatles never even got their market share up that high.

A very thought provoking thread Geeter. I'm to assume that the three choices are rock-n-roll as there are many country artists that have done what you claim, Alabama being one that comes to mind.

Also, I may have to do some research but I believe Bobby Vinton knocked his own number one hit out, which also the Beatles did to him. ::

My mind is trying to think of "recent" but as of now it draws a blank.

Please don't divulge the answer just yet but maybe PM those who would wish the answer at this time.

Respectively.

BluesBoy, very good attempts with the BeeGees, and Michael Jackson. Actually, I first thought Michael Jackson should be in there somewhere, and as he has broken a number of records this was one in which he fell short. The BeeGees was also a good one; a much understated groop because of their disco sell-out (not in my mind, but spoken of in public).

Musik, I assume that you are right about the Country artists, and recall some very energetic times during Alabama's hayday. Perhaps this is even wrong to include one genre, and not include another (in my thinking). I'll research this some more, perhaps I'm guilty of doing the same thing of genre exclusion as others have been; (being perfectly honest about the whole thing).

I'll have to get back to everyone on this one, and actually, it brings up the question of diversity among all genre of music. How do we know that old Ludwig did'nt do it himself in his time. It can get that anal! Not to say this is, and Muzik brings a good point to the table in all fairness.

Aaaaack. I just got it. Outkast replaced "Hey Ya" with "I Like The Way You Move." I'm 70% sure. (Can you be any less than 100% sure? I always thought if you were sure of something, there had to be no chance you were wrong. There has to be a better way to express the probability of surety.)

bluesboy, you have got to be kidding me with the "Spice Girls"? Madonna is a very sound guess, however not the third. I promise to get the answer out, and also to explore the Country scene for exclusion from that branch of music. Muzik pointed it out, and there may be something to it?

I'd rather hold out until more have written, or given a chance to provide their answers, and when I can post the answer and address the Country music curve ball the Muzik has thrown me. A very real and honest curve ball, but I admit to exclude a genre hear would be inacurate. I don't wish to be innacurate, and hope some patience would generate some very interesting viewing here.

Aaaaack. I just got it. Outkast replaced "Hey Ya" with "I Like The Way You Move." I'm 70% sure. (Can you be any less than 100% sure? I always thought if you were sure of something, there had to be no chance you were wrong. There has to be a better way to express the probability of surety.)

So it wasn't George Michael??? ::

Cindy, you actually hit it with Outkast. Not sure of the spelling though.

So we have the Beatles, Elvis, and OutKast!

Still working on the Country side of things, and hope everyone viewing this post can be patient, as there is much research to be done with so little time to do it.

Hopefully if someone has a line on Country music sites you can let us all in on it, and help me to research. As I wish to be totally accurate, I also have my limitations and admit them freely. Hopefully by doing so you also can detect my sincerity!

The Beatles were quite obvious as they had a week in 1964 where they held the top 5 spots on the music charts. I would bet that they may be the only group to knock themselves out of first on two separate occasions with two different songs (back to back to back). I will get back to you on that.

With regards to the Beegees.....I find it hard to believe that they did not knock themselves out of first when Stayin' Alive and Night Fever both charted very high for them at the same time. Again, I will get back to you on that. I do have a resource book at home....Billboards Top Ten charts from 1955 through 1984 and I will review this.

Got home this morning....ran to my Billboard book and found something amazing about the BeeGees and the Saturday Night Fever songs. Between Stayin' Alive (charted #1 on Feb 4, 1978) and Night Fever (charted #1 on Mar 18, 1978) was just one other song.....their brother Andy Gibb placed top of the charts on March 11, 1978 with Love Is Thicker Than Water. The Gibb brothers did own first place between 2/4/78 and 5/13/78 when Yvonne Elliman hit number one with If I Can't Have You, another song from Saturday Night Fever.

Thought I would throw a question in here....How Deep Is Your Love was also on top on 12/27/77 and stayed there for three weeks. Which song came in between How Deep Is Your Love and Stayin' Alive to prevent the BeeGees from charting consecutively? It also stayed there for 3 weeks.

ot -

I remember the Beatles first Ed Sullivan show(early '64), sitting on the edge of the bed, taking pictures of the tv with the family's kodak instamatic camera as they're performing the first song. (I was 12 and my little brother 10), participating in the Beatles frenzy that led to those back -to- back- to back singles... :bow:

Using Columbia House to add to my early record collection :P

little did I know the pictures wouldn't come out