I've lost my number, can I have yours?

Earth-Angel

** The Magic Numbers **

home_illust.gif

The sound of The Magic Numbers revolves around the brilliant songwriting and guitar playing talents of singer Romeo. Born and raised in Trinidad (where his mother had her own opera show on TV) the family moved to New York when he was teenager and later moved again to Ealing in London.

There he met drummer Sean and started making music. Consequently, these days the two are to be found sitting in the sound-proofed front room of the family's terraced house, without natural light or air, surrounded by instruments, prolifically penning as yet unheard classics.

To complete the core band line-up they added Romeo's equally talented sister Michele on bass and vocals, while Sean's sister Angela takes care of percussion, melodica and third vocals.

Drawing inspiration from many sources, singer songwriters (Cohen, Dylan), 60's harmony groups (Mamas & Papas, Lovin Spoonful), epic rock or such mavericks as David Axelrod. The band craft a sound which like Flaming Lips or Beck, is coming from everywhere but is uniquely theirs.

Their single "Love me like you" is incredibly catchy and reminds me alot of the older bands discussed here on the forums. I first heard them on online radio, but have been hearing this song being played everywhere lately! :thumbsup:

www.themagicnumers.net

The venue: London Infinity Club

The date: 9th September 2004

Glorious.

As the sun disappears and the last day of summer falls into a windy, blustering evening, those lucky enough to have made it to the Infinity Club are being warmed, touched and galvanised into such feelings of joy, that the imminent change of season simply does not apply here. Why? Because The Magic Numbers are thirty seconds into their first song.

The sound is beautiful. Three-part harmonies that will melt you within seconds, guitar playing that is as technically outstanding as it is emotionally super-charged, and songs that will leave you utterly floored. There is a simplicity to songs such as forthcoming single 'Hymn For Her' that is a lesson in great songwriting, a gorgeous rising melody from the mesmerising Romeo Stodart swoons alongside Angela and Michelle's harmonies - the result is a vocal that is as sweet, angelic and heartfelt as they come. The roar from the sardined audience that arrives at the start of this song's finale, is loud, passionate and frenzied. For a band that has just played a lullaby, it is an amazing reaction. Yet The Magic Numbers don't just caress us with twinkling ballads, they can also bound, bounce and bop. The brilliant 'Love Is Just A Game', has the crowd smiling, singing and grooving, as does the band's canon of skiffling, good-time numbers that are as perfectly crafted as the rest of tonight's set.

We want them to play all night. Alas, the gig comes to an end, but leaves us with the sort of buzz that reminds everyone why music is the greatest thing ever. And that is really rather special.

Buy the album here!

themagicnumbers1.jpg