Foreign Films

PSYCHOcatholic

A college friend of mine who lives in Abilene, TX doesn't like foreign films (or TV) because he has to pay attention to the action AND read subtitles.

That´s very common... I always watched movies with subtitles, even if it was japanese (which I don´t speak nor understand)... but not all of my friends would do the same, which frustrates me a lot.

How are you supposed to learn a anguage if you´re not familiar with lines, expressions, etc... from that foreign country?

OK, I admitt we´re not interested in learn a language. But I guess you lose a big dose of the movie´s meaning if you don´t listen to the original sound.

I love subtitles... actually, I´ve worked for years writing them down...

In Spain they dub even the songs! :doh: But you have some theatres where you have the original version and the subtitles. Sometimes (after 2 AM) they show a movie on TV with subtitles.

I try to catch the mistakes too!!! :) I have an incredible list of them... Those who write them sometimes have to hear the dialogues as they don´t have a script to read (believe me, I´ve been working there for maybe twenty years) so they translate things which have absolutelly nothing to do with the original...

"Some other guy now" was translated as "I gotta go" (in Spanish, but that´s what they thought the line was...) Or "She´s got a Texan accent like I got ..." was translated as "she was in a car accident" ...

And I could go like this for a hundred pages... :P

yeah i thought so, i think it's terrible that some people never get to hear the real voice of actors!

anyway, you and i are both used to it as most films are foreign , right? it's quite rare that i get to watch a film where i don't speak the language (for example japanese)

Edited by Guest

True... I like French movies so no problem... But sometimes I see an old Ingmar Bergman movie, or Kurosawa... not anymore now, but I´ve seen most of the classics and, of course, with subtitles...

It was amazing for me when I came to Spain for the first time and I went to a cinema to watch "The Graduate"... I was really impressed to find Dustin Hoffman could speak Spanish with better accent than me...

I just watched a wonderful little foreign film called Dear Frankie. I didn't even need subtitles. It was a Scottish film. (Mairi, you people call that English?). ;)

Anyway, wonderful heart tugging story. Brilliantly acted (including the kid). Nice ending.

On a scale of 1 to 5 I give a 3 3/4. Both of my thumbs up!

Here's the Netflix synopsis and cast:

Faced with the prospect of raising her son, Frankie (Jack McElhone), with a good-for-nothing man, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer) spirits him away to Scotland and pretends the boy's father is aboard the HMS Accra. After years of pretending, including sending Frankie fake letters detailing his dad's adventures, the jig is up when Frankie learns the ship is docked by their home. Now, Lizzie must find a man to pose as Frankie's father … fast!

Starring: Emily Mortimer(Mommy), Jack McElhone(Frankie)

Director: Shona Auerbach

Edited by Guest
Forgot to include Netflix info.