Barbeque Sauce

Kevin

Bottled barbeque sauces are just about against the law down here. These people take their barbeque very seriously. As a matter of fact, I live 15 minutes from the world famous (I may be exaggerating just a tad) Big Pig Jig , which has been featured on the aforementioned Food Network.

Mmmmm, I believe I'll have ribs tonight. Care to join me, Sammy? ::

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbeque is defined as pork meat (fresh or frozen and uncured) prepared only on a wood and/or charcoal fire, basted or not as the cook sees fit, with any non-poisonous substances and sauces as the cook believes necessary.

I thought that would go without saying... ::

Were there "incidents" in the past? :shades:

You know, a few years ago I stumbled onto a huge topic on a message board about how to cook steaks. Everyone suggested this and that marinade, but the predominant overpowering suggestion is that you dont need ANY marinade, bbq sauce, or rub to cook a good steak. All you need is a good piece of meat, Kosher salt and pepper.

Prior to learning this, I was always a fan of bbq sauce, and cooking my meat well done. Well, the first time I cooked a steak with only Kosher salt and pepper, I produced the best steak that I ever tasted!! And I ate it without any BBQ sauce.

SO, if there is anything I can contribute to readers, it is this...

1) Start with a good selection of meat... T BONE or Porterhouse.

2) Leave at room temp for 30 minutes.

3) Cover steak with fresh ground pepper on each side. Then cover each side with Kosher salt.

4) Grill on the highest heat possible for 5-7 minutes on each side. [Charcoal grills will take longer to cook.]

Anyway, I have LOVED this BASIC approach to cooking meat!

In recent months I have bought Webers Big Book of Grilling. It is a nice chunky book! I love the fact that in the steak section it gives homage to the basic recipe of Kosher salt and pepper.

I havent tried any thing else from the book, but I do have a nice South Western chicken recipe, that I will post later.

Cheers..

-Brian

well as i said, i don't think there is such a thing as kosher and non-kosher salt

ok my mistake "kosher salt" (technically "kashering salt") is a form of salt which has irregularly-shaped crystals, making it particularly suitable for preparing meat in accordance with Kashrut law because the increased surface area of the crystals absorbs blood more effectively"

Meat is tasteless unless it is rare to medium (how I like my steak) and only then will the salt & pepper rule work. Well done steak has no flavour with just salt & pepper ::

Hang on, well done steak has no flavour period!

A nice rub is lemongrass ground up with cumin seeds and some Chinese 5 spice with a bit of coarse rock salt. Rub well into the meat, going with the grain.

Another great one is rosemary sticks added to the fire and smoked into the meat

Mmmmm yummy!

This is straight from Webers Big Book of Grilling:

"Kosher Salt: We only use kosher salt in this book for a couple of reasons. First, It's particularly well suited for grilling because of its size. Unlike fine grained table salt, kosher salt consists of big flakes that sit on the surface of the food. As the flame draws juices to the surface of the food, they melt these coarser flakes, resulting in great surface flavor. We also like the complex flavor of kosher salt, which comes from the other minerals in it. Because Kosher salt is less concentrated, if you need to substitute table salt, reduce the quantity by about one third."

Also, on the 'Kosher' subject, there was a really old thread on SF about hot dogs. Back then Muziktyme turned everyone onto to Hebrew National Hotdogs which are Kosher. Well, over the years I have been astonishing peoples taste buds at BBQ's with these hot dogs. Last year, at the first Christmas Party we had-for the therapeutic riding center I volunteer at-I brought in a small stock pile of these hot dogs. No one knew what kind of hot dogs they were, but the director of Blue Heaven said that people were constantly commenting about how good the hot dogs were!

So if you ever have a BBQ go for Kosher hot dogs! There are several brands of them here in the states.

PS Contrary to what it says on the label, you DONT have to be Jewish to eat them!! :laughing:

Would rock or sea-salt (rose salt , from India ) be the same , as it is often coarse and requires a grinder ( or can be tossed on whole ) to dispense ?

I believe it is the same Kevin. It's big, coarse, irregular shaped crystals and they need to be rubbed in good rather than tossed on. They are better because they are abrasive when rubbing so they act as a tenderiser, and they pack a whallop of flavour too!

Another thing you might like to try (for those who like 'em hot n spicy! FIREdevil.gif ) is a bowl of cooking oil with sliced chili's and garlic cloves that have been soaking for a few days - the longer, the better - and using this to brush on as the meat is cooking. It's flaming hot hot hot, but very nice if you're going to slice up the steak (rare) real thin and add to a salad or eat in thin slices with some couscous or potato/noodle salad.

The same can be done sans chili's or with milder Jalapeno peppers instead :thumbsup: