Old TV.

PSYCHOcatholic

I wonder how many kids caught hell for coloring on the tube without benefit of the approved overlay)

Raising my hand. But I helped Winky to cross the bridge so that should count for something.

Zooks, my dad worked at Sears so we always had the latest TV's to hit the market (from the giant console with the 8" screen to the first color TV).

Ahhh, privlege.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Jane, I loved that show! Venus Flytrap was the man. I can still sing the entire theme song. I'm doing it right now...

Baby, if you've ever wondered

Wondered whatever became of me

I'm living on the air in Cincinatti

Cincinatti WKRP...

I was probably in my early teens when it was on TV. I had long hair and wore glasses. Everyone called me Bailey. That used to bother me, because I wanted to look like Loni Anderson. I have since changed my mind. Loni was a plastic skank.

WKRP trivia:

WKRP had two musical themes, one opening the show and one closing it.

The opening theme was composed by Tom Wells, with lyrics by series creator Hugh Wilson, and performed by Steve Carlisle.

The closing theme was a hard rock number composed and performed by Jim Ellis, an Atlanta musician who was recording some of the incidental music for the show. The lyrics are incomprehensible, and people have constantly argued over what they are. In fact, the song has no lyrics, just nonsense words and gibberish.

The story behind the closing theme, according to accounts from people who attended the recording sessions, was that Ellis didn't yet have lyrics for the closing theme, so he sang nonsense words to give an idea of what the it would sound like. Instead of adding real lyrics to the song, creator Hugh Wilson decided it would be funny to do a song with lyrics that were deliberate gibberish, as a satire on the incomprehensibility of many rock lyrics. Also, since CBS always had an announcer talking over the closing credits, Wilson knew that no one would actually hear the closing theme lyrics anyway.

Ok I had this bizarre thought, which I have a lot of, anyway....think how this would have been on WKRP...Andy and Jennifer hooking up, come on they both always had good hair and worried about their looks, and Bailey in a triangle with Johnny and Venus, and then Herb and Les getting close!! How wild that would have been!! My mind, it just thinks of this stuff and I can't stop it! :grin: :laughing:

Does anyone remember the TV show Owen Marshall? The actor form the show Arthur Hill passed away yesterday. I use to watch that show, it also starred Lee Majors and David Soul, who I both had crushes on, but I will not get into that, I have been told to control my minds thoughts! :) It was an interesting show for the times. Been a long time since I have seen an episode, use to be on for a time in re-runs but then went off the air.

After years of idling, the big-screen, live-action version of "Speed Racer" is ready to zoom, this time with the creators of "The Matrix" at the wheel.

Brothers Larry and Andy Wachowski are writing and will direct the Warner Bros. movie, their first directorial outing since completing the "Matrix" trilogy in 2003.

Based on the classic 1960s series created by anime pioneer Tatsuo Yoshida that later was retooled for North American audiences, the big-screen "Speed" will follow the adventures of the young race car driver Speed in his quest for glory in his thundering gadget-laden vehicle, Mach 5. The movie will feature other characters from the show, including Speed's family and his mysterious archrival, Racer X.

The film's producer, Joel Silver, has been trying to get the feature version off the ground since the early 1990s; in 2004, Vince Vaughn even pitched a take that cast him as Racer X. When Silver worked on the spring terrorist thriller "V for Vendetta," which the Wachowskis wrote, he approached them about tackling the project. The duo were reluctant to do it unless they could figure out a way to bring something new to the table.

"They are approaching these racing scenes in a way you've never seen before," said Silver, adding that the brothers are designing the movie's look as they write. Silver also said that unlike the more adult-oriented material of the Wachowskis' past -- "Vendetta," the "Matrix" movies and "Bound" were all rated R -- "Speed" will be family-friendly.

"They wanted to do something that could appeal to everybody," said Silver, who produced the "Matrix" films.

The plan is for the Wachowskis to shoot in summer 2007 for a summer 2008 release.

speed.jpg

I was in love with Speed Racer!! What a great cartoon...and I know you are singing along.

Speed Racer

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer - he’s a demon on wheels

He’s a demon and he’s gonna be chasin’ after someone.

He’s gainin’ on you so you better look alive.

He’s busy revvin’ up a powerful Mach 5.

And when the odds are against him

And there’s dangerous work to do

You bet your life Speed Racer will see it through.

Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer, Go!

He’s off and flyin’ as he guns the car around the track

He’s jammin’ down the pedal like he’s never comin’ back

Adventure’s waitin’ just ahead.

Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer, Go!

A few thoughts on WKRP:

Maybe the funniest TV moment ever ocurred when Mr. Carlson ordered a Thanksgiving stunt where he dropped turkeys from the sky. Les Nessman reports on the carnage: "Oh the humanity." Cut to the Big Guy in his office: "I honestly thought turkeys could fly."

WKRP was very true to real radio, at least until the big corporations got to it. I was a part of 2 incidents that were similar in theme to the turkey drop - one involving a promotion where mall patrons were asked to drop coins on a banner from 3 stories up, another where I did a Thanksgiving promotion called "You give us the bird, we give you a turkey." I'm still not sure how we got out of that parking lot. Anyone who worked in radio recognized those characters, especially Bucky the engineer.

Bailey was definitely hotter than Jennifer, but that was a common theme on TV and a good life lesson - look for substance, not flash. The best example is Ginger vs. Mary Ann, but it was also true on Too Close For Comfort where the brunette was better looking than the blond who was supposed to be hot. Three's Company did a much better job casting this.

I registered lesnessman.com a while ago in hopes of one day gathering former and current radio folk to tell their stories. I'm not sure how it would translate to the web, but in a room with a cover band and a few beers, these are about the funniest stories ever.