Old TV.

PSYCHOcatholic

Ah, thank you S2V! The artificial heart. I knew it was something important.

You seem to have much the same memories as I. Red Skelton was a man I truly admired, along with loving the show. A sweet, gentle man. He was born in Vincennes Indiana, close to the town my family is from.

Walt Disney and The Wonderful World of Disney is another show (and man)I greatly loved. I would plop down on the floor, and there would be Tinkerbell flying around the castle, putting her own little exclamation point at the top of the castle turret. Then Walt himself would appear, in his office, telling us what we were going to see that night, always perched on the corner of his desk. I dearly loved Davy Crockett, and Pollyanna and her glad game!

Thanks for the memories S2V (and you know who said that!) ::

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, thank you S2V! The artificial heart. I knew it was something important.

You seem to have much the same memories as I. Red Skelton was a man I truly admired, along with loving the show. A sweet, gentle man. He was born in Vincennes Indiana, close to the town my family is from.

Walt Disney and The Wonderful World of Disney is another show (and man)I greatly loved. I would plop down on the floor, and there would be Tinkerbell flying around the castle, putting her own little exclamation point at the top of the castle turret. Then Walt himself would appear, in his office, telling us what we were going to see that night, always perched on the corner of his desk. I dearly loved Davy Crockett, and Pollyanna and her glad game!

You must then remember the premier of All In The Family. I do. I was with my grandparents at the time. How shocking in the days of such innocence!

Thanks for the memories S2V (and you know who said that!) ::

Am I the only person who watched Soupy Sales as a kid? The Jerry Mahoney Show? Kukla Fran and Ollie(that one can stay gone, I thought it was dorky when I was 6)? Captain Kangaroo? I loved them!!

My favorite on the Soupy Sales show was

White Fang

soupyclyde.jpg

" His name was Soupy Sales and his pets were White Fang, Black Tooth, Pookie and Hippie. I felt like part of the family, even though I was the only one who didn't periodically smash him in the face with a shaving cream pie.

The jokes were not new. Some had doubtlessly been heckled at the Parthenon. And, just to make certain surprise was kept to a minimum, Soupy repeated material over and over and over and over. Still, it only added to the appeal that I could sit there and (usually) figure out where a joke was going before the inevitable punch line, followed by the inviolate pie-in-the-puss, always accompanied by a rifle shot sound effect. For kids — for adults, even — there is a Joy of the Expected and a special pride to be one step ahead of those folks on the teevee.

Lunch With Soupy Sales consisted of Soupy, his four pets and an endless array of people who came to the door to annoy him, exploit him and, invariably, pie him. All of the people at the door and all four pets were performed by a gentleman named Clyde Adler who was the perfect straight man for the Sales madness. As I learned from newspaper articles of the time, Adler was not a professional comedian; he was, by trade, a film editor at the Detroit TV station where Soupy had invented his winning format. Conscripted to help Soupy there, he had taken an open-ended Sabbatical from the editing biz to migrate West with the comic. Clyde played White Fang (a white dog paw, reaching just barely into camera range) and Black Tooth (a black paw), then raced around to the back of the set to play Pookie or Hippie (the puppets) or some guy-at-the-door. Except for the rarest of accidents, no part of him but his voice and forearms ever appeared on the show.

"Raah-oh-raah-oh-raah," White Fang would intone in his gruff voice, intelligible only to Soupy. Soupy would have to translate for us...

"What's that you say, White Fang? Paramount keeps calling you about shorts?"

White Fang would answer, "Raah," which even I could tell meant, "Yeah."

Soupy: "Did you leave your shorts at the Paramount Theater again?" And here would come the pie... "

:)

_ _ _ _ _

Raah-oh-raah-oh-raah ~ White Fang

resource ...

Now...they have The Friars Club Roasts still around here and there on Comedy Central and whatnot...

But i like the old ones with good clean humor and the actors really giving it to each other. The really good ones ive seen for today is the Jeff Foxworthy Roast...and Denis Leary...and i think someone roasted Robert DeNiro...but it wasnt the friars club.

The Six Million Dollar Man.

"Steve Austin....astronaut. A man barely alive. We can rebuild him, make him better than he was. We have the technology. Better....stronger....faster"

Cool.

The Incredible Hulk.

"Mr. McGee, don't make me angry....you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

While we're on the subject of Bill Bixby, The Courtship of Eddie's Father. A great intro song.

And yes, Laurie, I remember Kimba the White Lion. It came on after school, somewhere between Ultraman, The Banana Splits, Spiderman, and Captain Scarlet.

Boy, they sure don't make tv how they used to, that's for sure.

And yes, Laurie, I remember Kimba the White Lion. It came on after school, somewhere between Ultraman, The Banana Splits, Spiderman, and Captain Scarlet.

Gee, Jr, I'm beginning to feel quite invisible to you. First you don't mention me at all in the response to where all the SFers live, and now you're replying to Laurie about Kimba. I'm who asked about Kimba.. and Laurie doesn't even have a single post on this thread.

What'd I say to get on your bad side? ::

Hawaii got TV quite late in the 1950's, so "Sky Captain" wasn't available by the time Henry Kaiser brought KHVH TV on the air. One series that always got me wondering was "Science Fiction Theater," where the impossible/incredible came to life. Could a blind child see colored light via emotions? What is Y.O.R.D.? Did the test pilot see a UFO or was it his pen floating around the inside of the cockpit? Science Fiction has been outpaced by Science Fact these days, but one can still dream of an amazing compound that could separate solids out of any liquid. (Even if the distinguished explorer/professor was turned into elements and compounds by ants.) :coolio:

I loved Maya too :D

apemaia.jpg

i loved it too when i was little! i doubt it was nickelodeon though, it was a long time ago.

i would like to watch "beverly hills 90210" again, it was my fave show when i was younger and i am curious as to how crap it really was!

also, "21 jump street" (aaa johnny depp...) and i really really want to watch "kids in the hall" again! it was hilarious!!! :)

some shows I remember being on the tv when i was younger and i dont think they show any of them on tv land or nick at nite

Room 222...i vaguely remember this...was it any good, i cant remember too much about it...

Hawaii 50

Streets Of SanFrancisco

Baretta

Rhoda/Mary Tyler Moore/Phyllis

Mary Hartman ...never really understood that show

Soap :thumbsup: loved this one

oh then there were the shows my Dad had to watch like....Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Death Valley, shows like that...cant remember the others

• 4 months later...

Found this and had to post here...we talk about this all the time at work...where is WKRP in reruns and when in the heck is it coming on DVD!!!!! Talk about a classic TV show...I mean who is more cool than Venus, more wacked out than Dr Johnny Fever, more nerdy than Les, more without a clue than Mr Carlson....what a great show!! I need my WKRP fix!!!