Aussie Rock

katie_sane

Being an Aussie, I am very proud of the music that comes out of my little (population wise - around 19 million) country.

AC/DC have done us proud, but what about all that other classic Aussie stuff?? Does anyone outthere like Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Australian Crawl, The Choir Boys, Hoodoo Gurus, Skyhooks, etc etc?? Tell me your faves and add the ones I forgot.

:thumbsup:

Yay!! Someone else on this board is an Aussie Music lover too! This makes me very happy.

Personally I reckon there is more good music being made here than there is overseas. I really wish there was more Even, Something For Kate, 78 Saab, Fyreflies and stuff like that on the radio instead of this Nickleback rubbish we get forced on us.

I personally am loving the Saints first two albums again at the moment. I've also got the supremely cool Hummingbirds Best Of in the car at the moment along with Killing Heidi's latest record "Present", which isn't too bad I've decided.

I've also recently fallen in love with the first Boom Crash Opera LP - brilliant! And I've just picked up a copy of Redgum's "Caught In The Act" LP last week and have been really getting into it again. I haven't heard it since I was about 11.

On FBI in sydney last week there was a Nick Dalton/Plunderers/Godstar retrospective on the radio and there not a dud song in amongst it. Nick writes some awesome songs and he really deserves more credit than he gets. Both the "Sleeper" and "Coastal" LPs are awesome (I have both on vinyl and they rock!)

I'm also really getting into Pollyanna's "Hello Halo" LP again too.

Are we the only two Aussies in this place???

Thanks for your post - I agree with you about the radio airplay of Aussie music. It beats overseas stuff. Killing Heidi are mad, so are Something For Kate. I saw Grinspoon open for Kiss last monday night and they rocked. Machine Gun Fellatio was okay too.

Then there's Jebediah, The Living End, The Jack, Sunk Loto, The Screaming Jets (my fave) and heaps more.

Redgum, I haven't heard any of their stuff for years. I'll have to check it out again. Boom Crash Opera - yeah!! Do Split Enz count as Aussie??

For some reason, Aussie Rock doens't play very well here in The States unless the band fires cannons on stage and has a guitarist that wears a schoolboy uniform. I'm guessing this is poor promotion, because there's nothing wrong with the sound. I thought Midnight Oil and The Hoodoo Gurus were going to break through, but they never really did. Even Kylie Minogue hasn't been a big deal over here.

So for us Americans willing to broaden our horizons, what is a good album to start with?

Okay, we will start with the basics:

To fully appreciate the new, you have to understand the old.

Cold Chisel was huge over here (still is). They had a massive hit with 'Khe Sahn' and if you don't know all the words to it, you aren't an Aussie. Their albums "East" and the greatest hits "Chisel" are really worth a listen.

Other excellent Aussie offerings are "The Real Thing" or "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1" from Midnight Oil, "The Boys Light Up" from Australian Crawl and "Living In The 70's" by Skyhooks.

But I strongly suggest you start with Cold Chisel. They really, really rock.

I'd actually recommend getting hold of the original version of the song "The Real Thing" by Russell Morris, which is a classic all of it's own and The Oils version, while admirable, doesn't really hit the highs of it.

Definitely check out "Stoneage Romeos" by the Hoodoo Gurus - this lp was a US college radio hit in the 1980s and still sounds great today.

Try and get hold of Even's "Less Is More" - I swear you WILL NOT be disappointed.

"I'm Stranded" by the Saints is highly recommended for punk fans, especially those whose outlook doesn't stem much past Blink 182. Also "Radios Appear" by Radio Birdman.

Also "Recurring Dream" by Crowded House, "Echolalia" by Something for Kate and for a consumate intelligent pop LP try "Picture A Hum Can't Hear A Sound" by 78 Saab or "Sweeter Than The Radio" by Ice Cream Hands, or even The Grapes self titled LP.

Also try an Icehouse best of and a Split Enz best of album too.

Also, Katie, Split Enz started in New Zealand but then they moved to Melbourne for the rest of their career post 1978, so it kinda counts.

• 1 month later...

I agree with 'Stoneage Romeos'. What about Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - top act.

Does anybody know the title/Label of a double album of Aussie bands doing Iggy & the Stooges covers? I had this on tape years ago, and would like in on CD if it still exists.

Regards

I was a huge INXS fan back in the 80's and early 90's. Midnight Oil and Crowded House were also favorites. I did have one album by the Hoodoo Gurus called "Magnum Cum Louder". I actually saw them in concert about 10 years ago at a local college. They were opening for Drivin' N Cryin', I believe.

IMFO, the second best band to come out of Australia was Midnight Oil. I love their guitar work on "Blue Sky Mine" and "Truganini" and the whole "Diesel and Dust" album. They always had that Ramones-esque style to them, but with better politically charged lyrics. And that dude had a cool bald head. And "Great Southern Land" was a cool tune. That was Icehouse, I believe, wasn't it? Australia rocks!! And the Farriss Brothers rule!!

I remember about ten years ago, the Hoodoo Gurus had a hit in America, but I can't remember the name. I loved that song. Does anybody remember that one? Tell me the name please. It had a kind of fast, punky, REM-like, guitar in it, and it got some MTV airplay, but I can't remember the name. If I heard the name, I would remember. Anyone??

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Does everyone consider AC/DC Australian?

Malcolm, Angus, Cliff, Brian were born in England and Bon Scott was born in Scotland.

they met in Australia........moved back to england when they acquired Johnson. So you have Phil Rudd as an Australian