Lucky List #13

Elvish

Okay, we're ready to roll for the new list. A lot of great music was nominated last time, so always feel free to resubmit suggestions.

Also, remember to write up a review when you nominate an album. It doesn't have to be anything fancy - just tell us why you like it and why we should give it a listen.

Thanks! ::

I feel like re-submitting my nominee from last time...

"The Marshall Tucker Band" - The Marshall Tucker Band.

As one of the "Big 3", the Marshall Tucker Band completed the formula which equated to "Southern Rock". Lynyrd Skynyrd was primarily hard rock, the Allman Brothers were primarily blues rock, and the Marshall Tucker Band was primarily country rock. Their debut album had everything a country rock band needed to create beautiful music. These qualities are still found today in the country rock bands that play our nations bars, state fairs, and regional stages. Combining the beauties of the electric guitar with the acoustic guitar and adding a pedal steel guitar, some flute activity, a little fiddle, and some piano work, and you have one of the greatest combinations in Southern Rock.

This album also finds the world being introduced to probably the greatest guitarist in Southern Rock history, Toy Caldwell. Toy Caldwell can make an electric guitar sing as well as the guitar legends found in 70's hard rock.

This album features many classic hits from the Marshall Tucker Band like "Take the Highway", "Ramblin'", and the Toy Caldwell masterpiece "Can't You See". The re-release of this album also finds a 12 1/2 minute live recording of "Everyday, I Have the Blues". Toy Caldwell has never sounded quite as good as he does when he's jamming on his guitar for over 12 minutes on this song.

The Marshall Tucker Band has sustained for over 30 years in the music industry, and the way was paved with this debut album. I recommend this album to any Southern or Country Rock fan out there.

I'll reccomend "Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper. It's probably the Alice Cooper band's best album made before Alice Cooper went solo, and it represents what the band was about very well. This album is sometimes shocking, even by today's standards, and is wonderfully overly theatrical. It features one of the most grandiose album openers in rock (Hello Hooray), and a chilling, shocking closer (I Love The Dead), and every song in between is great. Highlights include the upbeat 50's style rock of "Raped and Freezin," the rip roaring rock of "Elected" and the terrific folk in "Generation Landslide." The rest is also fantastic. If someone thinks Alice Cooper doesn't have artistic merit, that person ought to listen to this album in it's entirety.

If Goldfrapp doesn't make it, and you feel like a fresh nominee...how about this one!

Melody A.M. ~ Röyksopp

B00006JKKK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Easily one of my favourite albums of the 00's! Mature, minimalist electronic beats, stunning 70's dance influences and samples like "So Easy" that uses "Blue On Blue" performed by Bobby Vinton or Gals and Pals.

It's one of the freshest albums to hit the airwaves in terms of light pop electronica. Built out of minute samples and sounds cleverly crafted to fill the spaces, it dances out of your speakers, gets your foot tapping and chills you out completely or gets you up and boogying.

Druggy beats pumping into the stratosphere, mellow and warm, cascading piano's and synths, lounge lizard style. Röyksopp are a duo to keep an eye on and turn your speakers up for!

Standout tracks are So easy, Poor Leno, Eple and Sparks.

Just brilliant!

Listen to samples and read further outstanding reviews on Amazon.com

I re-nominate Boston's debut........it's flawless and timeless.

Other nominees:

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend - great riffs, great drumming, great songwriting. From the infectious title track through the gorgeous "Your Sweet Voice"

Queen - I gotta go with "News of the World" as my favorite - songs like "Sheer Heart Attack" and "We Will Rock You" and the underrated "It's Late" all rock to high heaven. The sultry "Melancholy Blues," the bluesy "Sleeping on the Sidewalk", the solemn "All Dead All Dead" and the very raw "Get Down Make Love" are all a testament to the diversity of Queen's sound. "Spread Your Wings" shows how great a writer John Deacon was too. (Not to knock Queen 2 or Night at the Opera) I think it's their best album as a whole.

Other fav's - Barenaked Ladies - "Gordon"

Lowest of the Low - "Shakespeare My Butt"

The Gandharvas - "A Soap Bubble and Inertia"

(all three being great albums from Canadian Bands)

I know that the Stone Roses were nominated & listed a month or so ago with Second Coming, but man I think their self titled CD as a whole is far superior. "Love Spreads" is great, but there is not a dud on "The Stone Roses"

:rockon:

I figure it's my duty to nominate alt-rock albums, so here comes another.

Daydream Nation- Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth (like my previous nominee, Pavement) is a post-punk band that went on to influence acts such as Pearl Jam and most importantly, Nirvana, they actually ended up touring with Nirvana in the early 90s, anyway they have this amazing textured sound, and they produce it by using their instruments in ways previously thought unknown, and the album 'Daydream Nation' is probably the finest example of their technique (and mmmmm feedback) the album is over 70 minutes long, making every track about 7 minutes, and even tho the tracks are lengthy they're never boring or repetetive, they all seem original and well thought out, even tho it's done in a jam style, the opener 'Teen age riot' is one of Sonic Youth's best songs hands down, but be warned, Daydream Nation can be kind of hard to get into, but after a few listens it will probably become one of your fave albums, I'm also nominating Daydream Nation because, even tho it is a little hard to get into, it is arguably the most accesible Sonic Youth album for first time listeners,

anyway, I'm sure not many of you have heard Sonic Youth, so I highly reccomend that you give 'em a try. :thumbsup:

Renominating Starz - Violation

Starz-Violation.gif

I was first introduced to the band Starz in the late 70's. A friend of mine had this album and I was hooked from first listen.

This is definitely the cream of the crop of their 4 studio released albums. They also have a live album.

I don't believe the band received the promotion that they should have but one listen to this album and you'll agree that it's a lost classic.

I still play it over and over to this day. I just love the guitars in all their songs. They have some great licks on this album.

I had the pleasure of meeting "Richie Ranno", (one of the guitarists in the band) many years ago and he autographed my copy of their live CD "Starz - Live In Action".

Released in 1977, the album "Violation" has many great tracks.

The most popular track that most people will recognize is:

" Cherry Baby " (This is the song that made the US Billboard Top 40 chart. Great song.)

Other great songs from this album are:

" Sing It, Shout It " (This song will have you singing along with the chorus in no time.)

" Cool One " (properly titled, as I think this is the coolest song on the album. It's so catchy and I just love the guitar parts in this song, especially the lead solo)

" All Night Long " (Another cool song. I love the lyrics in this song and the guitar parts again are just so cool.)

This album is definitely worth a listen and I guarantee you'll like it or you're a dork.

I checked the album out on Amazon, but unfortunately they don't have the links for sound clips from this album.

mamaspapas.jpg

Im going to re-nominate my last suggestion, Mamas and Papas..this band has such a great history behind it, and they had such beautiful harmony also..Im not very good with words, so check out RonJonSurfers write up about them in the music discussion classic thread..he did a very nice write up on them... :beatnik:

I'll reccomend "Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper. It's probably the Alice Cooper band's best album made before Alice Cooper went solo, and it represents what the band was about very well. This album is sometimes shocking, even by today's standards, and is wonderfully overly theatrical. It features one of the most grandiose album openers in rock (Hello Hooray), and a chilling, shocking closer (I Love The Dead), and every song in between is great. Highlights include the upbeat 50's style rock of "Raped and Freezin," the rip roaring rock of "Elected" and the terrific folk in "Generation Landslide." The rest is also fantastic. If someone thinks Alice Cooper doesn't have artistic merit, that person ought to listen to this album in it's entirety.

billion.dollar.babies.jpg

I'LL SECOND THIS ONE!! Billion Dollar Babies is a great album. A quintessential classic! So many good tracks :thumbsup:

mamaspapas.jpg

Im going to re-nominate my last suggestion, Mamas and Papas..this band has such a great history behind it, and they had such beautiful harmony also..Im not very good with words, so check out RonJonSurfers write up about them in the music discussion classic thread..he did a very nice write up on them... :beatnik:

I'm with Laurie on this one. The Mamas And Papas don't get nearly the attention and credit they are due. ;)

Yep, Mamas And The Papas are a Legend.

I'll nominate one of the Best British Invasion Bands, the Dave Clark Five . There's an Out Of Print Album titled "Glad All Over Again -35 Greatest Hits" which I was fortunate enough to get a copy of.

Check out what Sellers are asking on eBay for ANY Dave Clark material. He controls his own catalog - a very canny businessman - and the Albums he's deleted are now Collectors' Items. The last one he allowed to be released in 2003 was a 33 track "Best Of", padded with a few B sides - NOT up to the standard of "Glad All Over Again" , but it has all the Band's major US Hits, lacking in some of the U.K. ones though.

:drummer:

I'm going out on a limb here and going to recommend something I mentioned in 'Get The Word Out'. She's not been snapped up by any major record label yet, so I think she deserves some publicity.

Jill Tracy ~ 'Diabolical Streak'

jilltracy.jpg

Reviews

Her music is completely different from anything I've heard lately, full of drama and mystery...intriguing.... :beatnik:

If Endymion reads this, I'm sure he'll back me up on this. I'd like to reccomend "Live In Europe" by Rainbow (AKA Live In Germany). Rainbow was a very hard rocking heavy metal band, fronted by Ronnie James Dio and Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore. Every song is terrific. From the fast, angry beginning (Kill The King) til the final epic (Do You Close Your Eyes) the album rocks. The average song is around 13 minutes, and include extended guitar solos from Ritchie, and some with vocal solos from Ronnie. Reccomended to any fan of 70's metal.

Here are the selections for List 13:

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

The Mamas & the Papas - Greatest Hits

Goldfrapp - Black Cherry

Starz - Violation

The Marshall Tucker Band - The Marshall Tucker Band

Thanks to everyone who participated! :thumbsup: