eminem

escance girl

Hi escance. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I do think he can be funny on occasion. I also love that his daughter seems to mean the world to him. His acting ability impressed me in 8 Mile. Some people have said that it doesn't take any ability to play yourself, but I don't believe that. It will be interesting to see what he's doing in 10 years. Somewhere underneath all that crotch grabbing and general foolishness is a talented guy. I hope he will be allowed to express that.

I'm glad I'm the first person to answer this, because I have the feeling that Eminem and his type of music isn't the most popular around here, and I didn't want your first responses to be negative.

Welcome aboard, sugar! ::

I'll post some Eminem news here:

Report: Eminem Says He's 'Taking a Break' Tue Jul 26, 5:58 PM ET

NEW YORK - Is Eminem headed for retirement — or just taking a break? Earlier this month, reports from his hometown of Detroit quoted sources as saying the 32-year-old rapper would play his last concert at Slane Castle in Dublin, Ireland, on Sept. 17, at the end of "Anger Management" tour.

In a posting on its Web site, MTV quotes Eminem as saying, "I'm not retiring," and also denying that "Encore" is his last album.

Eminem, whose real name is Marshall Mathers III, is quoted as saying: "When I say I'm taking a break, I'm taking a break from my music to go in the studio and produce my other artists and put their albums out."

He is also quoted as saying, "When I know my next move, I'll tell everyone my next move. Not some reporter who writes a story about `This is Eminem's last album.' I never said (`Encore') was my last album."

Phone messages and e-mails left with the rapper's publicist by The Associated Press hadn't been returned Monday.

Eminem has won nine Grammys, including best rap album for "The Slim Shady LP," "The Marshall Mathers LP" and "The Eminem Show." He won an Oscar for the song "Lose Yourself" from the 2002 film "8 Mile," in which he also starred

i love eminem! i don't listen to him regularly but when i do i really enjoy it. i agree with peaches too, his acting ability was very impressive in 8 mile and his clear love and devotion to his daughter is touching, although i question the wisdom of him slagging off the mother of his child in many songs. although i know that many of the music fans on these boards have very little meas on rap stars, he really does have a huge amount of talent. there are musical aspects to his music which aren't obvious to the average listener but with which his music is very carefully constructed - when i studied music my friends and i analysed his music for fun and it's amazing the details and techniques he uses. and he's d*mn funny!

I think Eminem has lost his creative touch. His songs are starting to sound more and more alike and he seems to be losing his popularity and his edge.

Yes, I definitely agree with RocktheNorth here, this is exactly what I think. I have his first couple of albums and the 8 Mile soundtrack. The stuff he has been churning out post 'The Eminem Show' has been sounding more and more alike and he's ripping more and more off others. I am glad he's taking a break because it feels like he's just going though the motions now, like he knows he could record himself singing Baa Baa Black Sheep six different ways, release them all as singles and still sell millions of records.

That aside, he is a great lyricist, one of the better musical artists around currently.

When it comes to Eminem, I'm torn. He has a few songs that I really like, but I'm not fond of the rap genre. I've never had much respect for people who rely so heavily on "sampling" other people's work. I also don't have much respect for artists that rely on shock value to sell records. He is a talented lyricist though.

• 3 weeks later...