Frank Zappa

Aunt_Acid

The Mothers of Invention was one of the best backup bands in the day, even if you couldn't tell from some of the more popular Zappa songs. The best song to listen to them on is Joe's Garage. Take a listen again to it.

I think the draw of them was that they could write a song about almost anything... and weren't afraid to do the wierd and obscue, like Yellow Snow and Let's Make the Water Turn Black.

Don't feel bad, I never got it either. My old roommate was a die-hard Zappa fan, he tried a few times to get me to listen to it, and to me it always just sounded like garbage. Who knows, I suppose there's always going to be someone out there who'll listen to your garbage, but why he's a "genius" I'll never know.

Chris and Batman...I'm a lot older and was around for some of the beginnings of Zappa. You're both right in a way in my opinion. Zappa was big with a lot of acid-heads back then for obvious reasons. But with the "music people in the know" he really is supposed to be a genius. I mostly appreciated him for bringing his friend Don Van Vliet and Beefheart to the forefront, and the tracks they did together are very different.

A lot of Zappa's stuff is really poetry, and if you take the goofy music away, the lyrics can be thoughtful. I also think a lot of his "genius" lied in engineering and producing....doing stuff with a lot of symphony orchestras,and just going off in weird ways.

Yeah, but that's like saying those greeting cards that play music when you open them are genius.. Sure, to the card marketers "in the know" they might seem that way, but most people who receive them just cringe when they hear that tinny junk coming from a birthday card.

Oh, and one other thing.. "You take the goofy music away..."

Isn't that part of the whole point? The music is goofy, it's not genius.. It's just kind of annoying. I don't know about you guys, but I qualify genius in music as someone who blends music and lyrics in a way that you don't want to take either away. If I just wanted lyrics, I'd go to a poetry reading. :P

Here's a clue as to what makes one a genius at music. INNOVATION! To introduce musical/artistic nuance and instrumentation which is followed/copied by subsequent artists. Blending of lyrics, instrumentation and voice do not make genius. Those qualities make for good music, no doubt. The genius is in the creating of something never done before through experimentation and production.

To fully appreciate the talent of Zappa I suggest you research the early days of The Mothers Of Invention and The Fugues (that's pronounced Fugs for you non-New Yawkers) back into the late fifties/early sixties.

Also....One thing you may not know about Bob Dylan. He was a giant among folk singers and was highly regarded and respected in that genre. When he decided to "go electric" it was decried by folk purists as blasphemy. But his blending of folk/electric and rock paved the way for groups like The Byrds, CSN&Y and anyone known as folk/rock artists including individual artists. His storytelling paved the way for modern rock music. Before his innovation rock was either rockabilly or R&B. Not much else.

Whether you find their music pleasing to the ear is not the basis for defining genius. If you're really interested in this subect do some research on the artists in question. The internet is a cornucopia of biographies and discographies.

Find out why the musicians you enjoy have "studied" the likes of Zappa and Dylan (two artists who couldn't be more different).

The next time genius up and bites you in the hiney maybe you'll feel it.

Oh, and one other thing.. "You take the goofy music away..."

Isn't that part of the whole point? The music is goofy, it's not genius.. It's just kind of annoying. :P

No, I was repeating you....It is genius, in my opinion, if not my taste always. It's all in the eye (or ear)of the listener! Read Uncle joe...he much more expressive than I. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, you say anyone can be non-sensicle. You call yourself a Pink Floyd fan man!? Syd Barrett was very much as non-sensicle as Frank Zappa, they are both genius. Hot Rats is pure musical genius, as is Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. It's called serious psychadelia, get in our out Chris no need to be hypocritical :neener: :rockon: