Post-Punk anyone??

scott

Is there anyone else on these boards that likes post-punk? It's basically alt-rock that served as a bridge between the punk era and the 90s alt era (but never received that fame of either of the aforementioned genres)

Some notable artists of the genre include The Pixies, Sonic Youth :bow: :bow:, Pavement :coolio:, and Dinosaur Jr.

Yeah, and it's freakin' awesome, some other notable groups to check out would be Sonic Youth (Goo and Daydream Nation are both incredibly amazing) Dinosaur Jr., Screaming Trees, the Flaming Lips are kind of post-punk it depends on what album you pick up, and Pavement is really goood too (check out the music of choice for the review that I wrote for the deluxe Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain package)

Yeah, it's funny to hear the "post-punk" label applied nowadays, what with 12 million bands calling themselves punk, most of whom weren't even born when Sid Vicious died.

Anyway, Pavement is wonderfully challenging music - has anyone ever figured out what Malkmus was talking about? I just saw the Pixies live a couple of months ago. They were incredibly tight and LOUD. They really honor the Ramones tradition of play a song, bang, play another song, bang, no messing around. I think they played 20 songs in a little over an hour.

I don't think they really fit the genre, but I always had a soft spot for Camper Van Beethoven. They were around during that same period, and they actually just re-formed and put out a new album last year. Maybe a bit too folky to be "post-punk", but a cool band all the same.

• 4 weeks later...