OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they play any Love Songs?

They look like a bunch of Modern Day Cowboys to me.

So how 'bout a sign Little Suzi

Duh.

bazooka ain't too hip...about that new breed band (or their songs).

I know I've heard some stuff by Tesla and I'm pretty sure I liked it.

(I can't say the same about the original Signs -- its smugness bugged me.)

Many artists/groups have had big success with a song and also other artists/groups have similar success when doing their version of that song many years later.

Name this group who did just that and more.

They did a remake of a song 10 years after it was released by the original artist and hit the U.S. Top 10 with their version. (The original artist also hit the U.S. Top 10 with his version as well).

Then, 25 years later, they hit the U.S. Top 20 again when that same version was used in a hit movie.

What was the name of this group and what movie was it used in that sent it back to the U.S. charts again 25 years later?

Hey, Bazooka. Did I use a big enough spoon? =:P

Wow!

That was a good guess, Shawna.

It's not correct, but is so close to the criteria in my question that it gets a very honorable mention.

Here's how close you were: :thumbsup:

"Twist And Shout" was first recorded in 1961 by the Top Notes but it didn't hit the U.S. Top 10 for them.

The Beatles recorded it only 3 years later and charted in the U.S. Top 10 with it. (#2)

The song again re-entered the U.S. charts again 22 years later in 1986 when it was featured in both Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Back To School but the song didn't make it into the U.S. Top 20 chart. (#23 was the highest it charted).

Anyone else have a guess?

Don't leave out the Isley Brothers version!

from wikipedia

In 1962, the Isleys scored their first Top 40 hit with their seminal cover of the Topnotes' Twist & Shout, which peaked at #2 on the R&B charts and #17 on the pop charts. A small band from Liverpool, England heard the Isley's version on the radio and revised it a couple of years later to hit #1 on both the US and UK Pop charts. That band ended up becoming The Beatles and their inspired cover of the Isleys' version was one of the group's first hit recordings.

My brother had the Isleys' single and we listened to it over and over again. It might be hard to believe, but The Beatles seem tame by comparison. I don't think I ever heard the Topnotes.

TS.jpg

That's my mini-documentary. Carry on Quizzin'

I'd be surprised if it's not. :)

1955/ 1965/ 1990. Brad will tell you the rest - good question Mate!

Our Grandchildren are both sick with a vomiting wog. It's Alyssa's Birthday today (Wednesday 5th) and she's not even interested in her presents. At least she had a party with her friends on Sunday that we were here for, but tonight's festivities will have to be postponed. Christopher got sick before her and he's on the improve thank goodness.

I won't get in here much, because their connection is through the phone line, and any inwards phone call drops you out.

See Ya !

:coolio: Congratulations Edna and Diggs for a joint effort. :coolio:

Edna got the movie correct with "Ghost" and Diggs got the song correct with "Unchained Melody".

The group was The Righteous Brothers who hit #4 on the U.S. Hot 100 chart in 1965, ten years after it hit the Top Ten in 1955.

Their 1965 version then re-entered the U.S. charts in 1990 (25 years later) when the song was featured in the movie "Ghost". This time the song hit #13 on the U.S. Hot 100 chart.

Old55 knew the answer too, I see. He had the years exactly, and Laurie got some good guesses in also. :thumbsup:

Some interesting facts about this song:

> The song was originally featured in another movie when it was first released in 1955. The movie was called "Unchained".

> After their 1965 version of the song hit the U.S. charts again in 1990, The Righteous Brothers also recorded a new 1990 version of the song. This newly recorded version also made the U.S. Hot 100 chart in 1990, reaching #19.

Since Edna got half the question correct and Diggs got half the question correct, you two may toss a coin to see who gives the next question or work it out between the two of you.

Well done! :thumbsup: