OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Great Space Coaster

The What ? :P None of our Australian TV networks picked it up, as far as I know. Did they show it in Spain Edna?

Onya Peaches ! (Oz slang for Good on you Peaches). :thumbsup:

Das, it's a nice song, but how about "You Only Live Twice" / Nancy Sinatra ? She's probably one of the most underrated female artists ever. My favorite Bond song is "Live And Let Die"/ Wings. Great song.

I will admit they all pale into insignificance when compared to "Surfer Bird" though. Could they have worked that into a Bond Movie? If so, which one?

;)

The What ? :P None of our Australian TV networks picked it up, as far as I know. Did they show it in Spain Edna?

I don´t think so, Darryl... I rarely had time to watch TV anyways, I did when I was a child in Argentina. But most of the TV shows mentionned in this thread are a mystery for me... and I never saw the Alex Trebbeck show neither (I know about him due to "Short Cuts", Altman)

Maybe I'm the only one who saw it. It ran in the U.S. in the early-mid 80's I used to watch it every morning before school.

They had a newscaster (Gary Gnu) who was a gnu, and at the end of every segment he would say "No gnus is good gnus". Marvin Hamlisch did a regular music segment, and then they would all fly off in the Great Space Coaster.

Surely Slim Goodbody fans would remember it?

John Williams was the writer of all of the music from the "Star Wars" movies.

I made a point of reading about him last night. Very interesting. I see he's collected a swag of awards for film scores - just about every 70s Blockbuster. I always thought the themes of Star Wars and Superman were alike, almost plagiarised, but as he wrote them both....

Self plagiarism like John and Paul. They recycled a few riffs, but I suppose when you write so many songs it's bound to happen. I don't know about Keith and the intro to "Satisfaction" which came to him in a dream, and I'm sure he believes that. It's one of the best songs of all time, but I still think that riff is based on something by one of the old bluesmen. I'll ask my son-in-law at the weekend when we're up in the wilds of Blackwater.

Bluesboy and Sammy, maybe you can help me out IF you read this.

:)

Well, John didn't/doesn't own any of those classic CCR songs. When he came out with "The Old Man Down The Road" in the 80's he was sued by the guy who owned the rights to the older stuff. I believe he said that it ripped off "Run Through The Jungle".

It went to court, and John won after an in-court display with a guitar. Awesome.

I'm pretty sure it's generally credited to some old bluesman. My son-in-law will know. He's right into the "blues". He reels off names of "old dead whingeing guys" - my daughter's words. She doesn't share his taste in music. One of the more modern acts he likes is Fleetwood Mac pre Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. My daughter and I call them "Fleetwood Lack".

:)

Hmm! Unless I'm thinking of the Bobby Parker guitar riff that the Beatles "borrowed" for Day Tripper. I still reckon I've heard something very much like the Satisfaction riff on some old blues song.

Good to see you guys around. We head off in a couple of days - back 2 or 3 weeks after that. Maybe I'll start the Quiz up after my next birthday as "OLD 65". Can't believe I'll be eligible for an age pension! I remember when Bill Haley and Little Richard first came on the scene just like yesterday. And of course that kid Elvis.

;)