OLD 55

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same goes for you Laurie.

Honorable mentions. :thumbsup:

Question clarification:

In the early 80's, an artist recorded a cover of a hit song but it didn't even crack the U.S. Hot 100 chart.

Six years later (still in the 80's), a live version of this song by the same artist hit #1 on the U.S. charts surpassing the chart position held by the original artist/group.

Who is the artist and what was the name of the song?

:coolio: Congratulations, Daslied! :coolio:

That is the correct answer!

Billy idol recorded a cover of that song in 1981 but it only reached #107 on the U.S. charts.

In 1987, his live version of the same song hit #1 on the U.S. charts surapssing Tommy James and the Shondells original, which hit #3 in the U.S.

A line from an Aimee Mann song inspired the writing of this movie, which was written backwards based on said lyric.

Three-parter, I guess. What is the:

1. Song

2. Movie

3. Lyric, for ultra-mega bonus points

1. Song: Deathly

2. Movie: Magnolia

3. Lyric: "Now that I've met you, would you object to never seeing each other again?"

New Question:

In the late 50's, many songs were recorded by different artists and charted at or around the same time.

Which 50's song was a U.S. Top 40 hit for 6 different artists, all within a five month time period?

Three of those artists debuted in the charts on the same day.

Not either of those, John, but honorable mentions to you, especially with the Mack The Knife answer.

"Unchained Melody" was a Top 40 U.S. hit in 1955 for 4 different artists and then again in 1965 when The Righteous Brothers recorded it.

"Mack The Knife" was a Top 40 U.S. hit in 1956 for 5 different artists and then again in 1959 when Bobby Darin recorded it and again in 1960 when Ella Fitzgerald recorded it.

I'm looking for the song that had 6 different artists in the U.S. charts all within the same year.

OK, enough screwing around. I had to get serious this time. :)

"Autumn Leaves" is the song.

The artists are Roger Williams, Steve Allen/George Cates, Mitch Miller, Jackie Gleason, Victor Young and The Ray Charles Singers.

The versions by Steve Allen/George Cates, Mitch Miller and Jackie Gleason all debuted on the charts on November 12, 1955.

Good second guess, eh? :o

Not it, John.

Autumn Leaves was only a Top 40 U.S. hit for 2 of those artists (Roger Williams and also Steve Allen/George Cates.

Not Oh, Happy Day Laurie. Wrong decade.

Question recap:

In the late 50's, many songs were recorded by different artists and charted at or around the same time.

Which 50's song was a U.S. Top 40 hit for 6 different artists, all within a five month time period?

Three of those artists debuted in the charts on the same day.

OK, i was just kidding with the other one.

"Banana Boat (Day-O)".

Instead of three debuts on the same day, I have 2 sets of 2 debuting on the same days. God, I hope this counts, because I can do no more. And I've already cursed Joel Whitburn's name more than once.

Harry Belafonte (1/12/57) - #5

Steve Lawrence (1/12/57) - #18

Fontane Sisters (12/29/56) - #13

Sarah Vaughan (12/29/56) - #19

Tarriers (12/22/56) - #4

Stan Freberg (4/13/57) - #25

:coolio: Congratulations, John :coolio:

The new kid is good! :thumbsup:

Yes, and curse Joel Whitburn.

My source had the same chart positions as you have, John, but the day of chart debut is different on most of them.

My source (Joel Whitburn) showed this:

Banana Boat (Day-O)/Banana Boat Song

#4 12/22/56 Tarriers

#5 01/12/57 Harry Belafonte

#13 01/12/57 Fontaine Sisters

#18 01/19/57 Steve Lawrence

#19 01/12/57 Sarah Vaughan

#25 04/27/57 Stan Freberg

Guess I won't add exact chart debut date info into the questions anymore since it seems to differ.

WTG, John. That was a lot of research you did.

and you too, Laurie. I knew you'd be right there with a lot of searching and some good answers. :thumbsup:

You're up, John.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Brad! That one was starting to drive me crazy, so I'm glad it's over.

I'm going to retaliate with a question that might be too vague, but I'll let everyone sleep on it...

One of the co-writers of a popular 1977 movie theme was a regular guest on a popular, mostly non-animated 1980's children's show.

Hint: the movie is part of a series. Useless hint: if you disregard Beatles' songs, this is the greatest song ever written. :shocked:

I guess this is an unintentional four-parter:

1. Writer

2. Movie

3. Song

4. Guest on what show?