OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duane Allman

Looks like jr beat me to the punch.

But the Duane Allman Anthology album is put together from Duane's performances with the other artists, not vice versa.

from Wikipedia:

In November 1968 Duane (was hired) to play on an album with Wilson Pickett. Duane's work on that album, Hey Jude (1968), got him hired as a full-time session musician at Muscle Shoals and brought him to the attention of a number of other musicians, such as guitar great Clapton, who later said, "I remember hearing Wilson Pickett's 'Hey Jude' and just being astounded by the lead break at the end. ... I had to know who that was immediately - right now."

Duane's performance on "Hey Jude" blew away Atlantic Records producer and executive Jerry Wexler when (Rick) Hall played it over the phone for him. Wexler immediately bought Duane's recording contract from Hall and wanted to use him on sessions with all sorts of Atlantic R&B artists. While at Muscle Shoals, Duane was featured on releases by a number of artists, including ? Aretha Franklin. For his first Aretha sessions, Duane traveled to New York, where in January 1969 he went as an audience member to the Fillmore East to see Johnny Winter and prophetically told fellow MS guitarist Jimmy Johnson that in a year he'd be on that stage; the Allman Brothers Band indeed played the Fillmore that December.

Good morning!!!!:) :) :) :) No one around? No questions unanswered? OK, I´ll come back later... ::

Sammy, congrats about Lowell George :bow: :bow:I thought it was him at a first glance but he wasn´t fat enough so I decided it couldn´t be him. I didn´t know he was a sessionman, I just knew him from Little Feat.

:coolio: WELL DONE EDNA! THAT'S THEM. :coolio:

Would you believe I didn't know what they looked like. I forgot all you young people would probably know. :)

Sorry I don't have time to put on any more Questions now. I've just finished in eBay. They had a "free picture" promotion. Why don't you pop in and have a look (NOT to buy) at what I do there. My trade name is dazstamps

:guitar: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Hope you enjoy the concert Laurie.

Hey it looks like everyone knew what those kids from the 80s looked like except me. Lucky they didn't mug me - I'd never have picked them out of a lineup. ::

UPDATED POINTS

edna, Laurie 18

miamisammy, UncleJoe 13

Shawna 11

jr 6

Brad 5

Kevin 3

bluesboy, HD 2

bazooka, katie, Peaches 1

NEW QUESTION.!

O.K. I knew these guys straight away because they're from a couple of decades earlier. Who else knows them ?

9.jpg

:headphones:

QUESTION 2:

Which VERY well known U.S. 60s Singer married a "Miss World" and wrote a (Top 20) song for her. He really adapted it from an old West Indian folk song and changed it around to include part of her maiden name /former surname (a Dutch name).

I'll run this by you first to see if anyone knows it and give clues later if required. (It's probably on Google somewhere). :)

:coolio: WELL DONE BAZOOKA!!! THAT'S THE GROUP. :coolio:

Go get that Question 2 now. ::

UPDATED POINTS

edna, Laurie 18

miamisammy, UncleJoe 13

Shawna 12

bazooka, Brad, jr 6

Kevin 3

bluesboy, HD 2

katie, Peaches 1

CURRENT QUESTION:

Which VERY well known U.S. 60s Singer married a "Miss World" and wrote a (Top 20) song for her. He really adapted it from an old West Indian folk song and changed it around to include part of her maiden name /former surname (a Dutch name).

I'll run this by you first to see if anyone knows it and give clues later if required. (It's probably on Google somewhere).

:headphones: