Clapton Vs Hendrix

Batman

Well of course I'm gonna say Hendrix. Just listen to Machine Gun. :: :rockon:

Here's a site explaining some of it.

Of all the recordings of Hendrix in concert, "Machine Gun" best displays Jimi's immense talent and his brilliant usage of effects. Striving to convey the terror of war, Hendrix pushed himself and his equipment to the limit as he built a towering and complex sonic sculpture. Notes plucked on Jimi's black Stratocaster travelled through his effects and amplification, emerging only after being transformed into harrowing, extreme sounds that were unlike any others ever created with any musical instrument.

Honestly speaking, both had a great impact for completely different reasons. Jimmy was a ground breaker with his ability to be way ahead of his time. Eric is so much smoother than Jimmy and equally ahead of the other doing the same thing.

Here is an honest question? Who has more talent: Stevie Ray Vahaughn or Jimmy Hendrix? For a clue, should anyone need one, listen to both artists versions of "Little Wing", than judge for yourselves. Not to dis on Jimmy because I love the man's talent, but he ain't it in the long term scheme of things. He revolutionized the Electric, but as bad as we all think we are, there is always someone to come along and humble us.

Stevie Ray Vahaughn or Jimmy Hendrix?

Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan both did great versions of "little wing." Jimi wrote the song, but Stevie did a stunning instrumental cover of it. With Jimi, It's all about improvisation. With Stevie, It's all about technical skill. Joe Satriani did a version that sounded almost exactly like Stevie's. And Steve Vai also did a good cover. But all in all, I cannot choose between Jimi's or Stevie's.

I can't let any guitar type post pass without mentioning Eric Johnson. He never got a lot of airplay but I have all the CDs and have seen him live four times. Like Stevie he was also from Austin, where I went to school, GO HORNS. His music was obviously influenced by SRV and his 'technical' skill is really better than anyone I have ever seen. An article I read in Guitar Player magazine described how he behaves in the studio, recording and rerecording everything until it is just perfect. Supposedly he takes it to extremes. Whatever he does, it works real well. He also has a great singing voice. Due to the lack of airplay and the fact that few people know who he is, he hasn't had the influence of Clapton, Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughn. He's one of the many guitarists who will be at the Crossroads Guitar Festival on June 4-6 hosted by Eric Clapton. Johnson will be playing on Saturday. Thankfully its on a weekend so I can go out of town to see it, being held in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl, three stages, it should be cool. I was going to mention the festival on the "Get the word out" board even though I'm not sure if that's the type of thing that should be posted there.

Clapton vs Hendrix, isn't there enough love to go around. Sounds like the Eddie, Angus debate we used to have in high school. Just turn up the volume and enjoy.

I guess I would have to agree that they are different but BOTH equally phoenomonal. I would like to add that Clapton is STILL making music though. Ever wonder if Hendrix would still be making music if he was alive???? Hmmm...that's a tough one. Because when you think about it....Hendrix was not really around for that long. He just came in and out with a BANG!!! And people still listen to his music! :bow:

Well of course I'm gonna say Hendrix. Just listen to Machine Gun. :: :rockon:

yeah, that is such an awesome song.

I agree, Hendrix definitely, another great example (I know I mention this song A TON) but voodoo child. Machine Gun shows it a little better though.

I'm going to say that they're both undeniably important, but my vote has to go to Clapton, Hendrix was amazing, he could play fast and precisely, of course so could Clapton!!(just listen to some classic Cream) Hendrix could make his axe wail, but you see, Clapton made his sing. And I'm just in to mellower sounding music and I think that Clapton had a bigger effect on the "Mellower" side of things

I think the key word here is "impact". Clapton is undeniably one of the best guitarists to ever pick up the instrument.I don't think however that he made many innovations in playing style - he just plays better than almost anyone. Hendrix though, completely changed the way the guitar was used and played. Rock music changed forever after Jimi. He had a style that can be imitated, but never duplicated, cause it changed every time he played a song. For that reason I think Hendrix has had the greater impact on rock music. :bow:

Hendrix probably had more lasting impact. Clapton would have if he hadn't spent the last 20 years or so trotting out mediocre records. Don't get me wrong - you can't really can't compare the two guitarists - they were both great in their own way and I like them both for that. But in terms of playing style, when you listen to them Hendrix plays so fast and does so many other awesome things with the guitar that Clapton didn't do.

That doesn't mean to say that Clapton sucks - his solo on "Crossroads" from "Wheels of Fire" is awesome. But I really haven't liked any of his records (aside from Slowhand) since Derek & the Dominoes.

The "Clapton-Hendrix-Page-SRV" et. al guitarist debate has been beaten solid into the ground. Generally, I won't make comment because most are passionate about their favorite axe-slinger. But honestly. For true, real axemanship, Dick Dale can tear shreds out of most of those guys. I am willing to bet most of the younger aficionados haven't heard of Dick Dale. Fair enough. He is considered the father of surf guitar. That, at times muted, other times chiming, staccato, clicky, Fender reverb soaked sound. If you download music, check out "Miserlou" or "The Victor". In "The Victor" he blasts straight into the stratosphere playing notes that leave other guitarists wondering how the hell he did that. If you find that you like Dale's style, also check out a 60's era band by the name of "The Chantays". Their song 'Pipeline' has the nastiest slide run I have ever heard. You'll feel it straight down your spine. The sound at the beginning is a Fender Reverb amp being shaken violently, the sound was produced by the reverb coils rocking back and forth. Also notable in this 'guitar' genre are the Surfaris, the Chantays, and The Tornadoes.

Ken.