Blind Melon

Danielj

Okay, big post, I'm gonna exagerrate, flip out and be joyful all at the same time.

Blind Melon in my opinion, could have been the greatest rock and roll band of the century. I have seen very little to no mention of their names in previous posts, and when i searched their name less than 2 and a half pages came up. Anyone who has not heard Blind Melon should stop what their doing right now, anything, and go out and buy one of their albums, any of them. There is a mighty good chance you will fall in love.

Shannon Hoon, i think is one of the greatest writers of the 90's if not the century, he could express so many feelings, his own, such as New Life (Deep inside must defy arrangement

I've been a stumblin' from the startin' blocks 'til now), and more global minded themes such as Mouthful of Cavities (Send a lettewr to a friend of mine, tell him how much I used to love to watch him smile, Say I haven't seen him smile in a little while). His voice can pull you up when you are down, I doubt there is a better song than No Rain for that purpose. His death is almost unbearable for me, I could have seen him perform, I could have perhaps met him and told him that he is perhaps the only musician who has meant so muh to me, his lyrics mean something to me, all of his songs, and his voice just brings it out even more :( I miss you Shannon, Rest In Peace.

The rhythm section of Brad Smith and Glen Graham are a perfect match, as are Christopher Thorn and Rogers Stevens on guitar.

Discuss anything Melon. MELONHEADS UNITE.

I LOVE Blind Melon! They are completely, totally, absolutely underrated. Shannon Hoon's voice was so raw and yet it has this natural melody in it...as if anything he says is music. I've heard quite a few songs and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them is incredible. They should have had Axl Rose doing back up for THEM.

Damn that stupid die-in-your-20s-and-you'll-be-cool trend.

except that kurt cobain couldnt write or play guitar half as good as anyone in blind melon.

You can't compare Nirvana with Blind Melon, it's like trying to compare Pavement to Smashing Pumpkins or Pixies to Sonic Youth. Blind Melon was very slickly produced, focusing on melody and harmonics, whereas Nirvana was all about the grunge, little production work and just flat out angst. (not to mention the fact that Blind Melon's drum work hardly holds a candle to the force that is Dave Grohl.)

I do like Blind Melon tho, don't get me wrong, it's just impossible to try and compare the two.

You can compare anything. They are different. That is the whole point of comparing something. If two things were exactly identical in every possible aspect, then there would be no need to compare them. I'm sick of people saying "they're different you can't compare them.".

But it isn't on the same plane, like it makes much more sense to compare, oh I dunno, Tom Petty's and Bob Dylan's writing styles then to compare Tom Petty's and Pink Floyd's writing styles, sure Pink Floyd is more 'deep' but Tom Petty doesn't play music that is meant to be 'deep', so therefore it's impossible to come to a conclusion as to who's truly better. :beatnik:

I suppose I could have worded my other post better, say "It's hard to say who's better between Nirvana and Blind Melon 'cuz the styles are on two different levels, but it is possible to say who is your favorite" that make more sense?