Heavy metal

philosophy

the old bands are great but has anyone here heard of bands like Killswitdch Engage, Lamb of God, Zao, 8 Foot Sativa? These guys are true metal bands. Has emo taken over the world already? Does anyone not worship 50 cents G-unit? Will i ever shut up?

ok now that ive had my rant i would just like to say that new metal bands are alot different than older bands like Metallica and Black Sabbath

And seriously Deep Purple being hard rock?

The guy I just started seeing listens to a lot of different music including heavy metal. I guess within the genre he loves death metal (which I'll admit sounds scary). He just saw Lamb of God. He says the angrier the better and he said he doesn't even need to understand the words. I can only take it in small doses though.

wheni was 14, my friends had a heavy metal band, they used to cover iron maiden, black sabbath and stuff like that. because i was their friend, i used to go to band practice and always stood in the front when they played live! i'm alright with it but not a fan for sure. although i do like some isolated tracks, like for example, "fear of the dark" by iron maiden, brings back lots of memories :)

Guitar wankery? Isn't that illegal?

Only in 37 states.

And nearly all of today's metal bands sound exactly the same. I love hard, loud music, but today's music scene is replete with talent-challenged musicians who all want to sound exactly the same as the next, because today's angst-filled kids will buy it no matter what it sounds like, as long as it mentions death, destruction and anguish, and they can bang their heads to it. The band members wear tattoos and long beards to make them look like tough bikers, but they would get their asses beat down by some of the tougher high-school girls in the crowd at their concerts. They play super-fast chords but couldn't write a good four-string blues riff if their life depended on it.

I'm sorry. I try to find the good in these "hardcore" and speed metal bands, but there is very little. All the chords sound the same with no melodic changes, no harmonizing, everything is angst-laden. Compared to the great rock bands of the 70's, and even the hair metal bands of the 80's, this sh*t is amateurish....period. If you ask the band members themselves, they'd even tell you that their music can't compare to the hard rock bands of the 60's and 70's.

Rock 'n' roll has definitely gone downhill. It appeared that it might be coming back with such bands as Guns 'N' Roses, Pearl Jam, and the Black Crowes, but sh*t bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Linkin park, Cannibal Corpse, and Dimmu Borgir have definitely reversed that trend.

Later, y'all.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsdown:

The new heavy metal bands seem to think you get heaviness by turning up the gain (distortion, for all you non-guitarists) but all that really does is make a grind. I've listened to Caniball Corpse. That's not heavy. "Father To Son" by Queen, 2 minutes into it, when Freddie sings "but I've heard it all before," that's some heavy guitar right there. I much prefer the sludgy heaviness to the grinding heaviness. Sludgy heaviness is the stuff from the 70's, like some Queen songs, Mountain, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, stuff like that.

"The angrier the better." That's the punk mantra.

"Speed equals greatness." That isn't music; it's masturbation.

"I only know three chords!" Cheech Marin said that in a parody of heavy metal, and there's the tragedy.

Heavy metal, or the best of it, is steeped in the darkest blues, and none of the recent contributions to the genre have a clue.

Iron Maiden

Megadeth

Iced Earth

Nightwish

Meshuggah

Mudvayne

Tool

Cradle Of Filth

Dream Theater

Metallica

Children of Bodom

Static X

Everygrey

In Flames

Anthrax

Blue Oyster Cult

Black Sabbath

Shadows Fall

Fear Factory

Rammstein

Motorhead

Probot

Demons & Wizards

Machine head

Apocolyptica

Cannibal Corpse

Ministry

Static X

Mortiis

Blind Guardian

Lacuna Coil

Judas Priest

Skinny Puppy

Paradise Lost

Primus

Morbid Angel

Prong

Breed 77

That's about all the metal I listen to that's classed as "heavy".

Iron Maiden

Megadeth

Anthrax

Blue Oyster Cult

Motorhead

Judas Priest

Those are the ones I've seen in concert.

Apocolyptica? You know, I've heard some of their stuff, and it seems to me that they can't make up their mind what type of band they are. It's not really a blend of different types of music. They're either playing metal, or something that's almost symphonic. At least what I've heard of them, anyway.

ok ive read all your stuff and i agree with the guitar wankery and i dont agree with sexually assualting instruments as music but if you can play fast AND well then do so.

Suprisingly I have never heard a full song on that long list of metal bands (including Metallica ::) but my views on Heavy Metal are that the bands with some religous attatchment and very little angst are the most clear headed and best bands. Im not dividing this religous thing into Christian and Satanic, Satanic is [bleep] because it is made mainly of angst towards God and the world in general.

The best heavy metal band I have heard is christian -Zao and I will contstantly refer to them and their latest album "The Funeral of God" because i love them.

by the way has anyone here had problems with people who see heavy metal as just hitting drums, screaming and wanking stringed instruments?