Sign in to follow this  
PSYCHOcatholic

Movies you're hearing about!

I'll second Walk the Line and Corpse Bride.

Normally I wouldn't have any interest in a movie about Johnny Cash, but it stars Joaquin Phoenix so I MUST see it.

As for Corpse Bride, I love Johnny Depp and I loved Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas so I'm expecting to love this as well.

I hadn't heard anything about "The Exorcism of Emily Rose," but it has something for everyone, from Believers and Agnostics, to Suspense and (mild)Horror fans. Do Demons exist? Just check if your clock or watch stops at 0300, shadows flit across your windows, and "faces come out of the rain." :jack:

Ill agree with you Otokichi...i think the movie was wonderfully done. If you like the Excorcist, you will like this movie. If you hated the Excorcist, but liked a law movie, say A Time to Kill. You will like this movie. It truly is something for everyone and it keeps you questioning things, especially since its based on a true story. But i will crap my pants if i ever wake up at 0300 and smell smoke in my house!

"A History of Violence" looks good....Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris.....directed by David Cronenberg, looks thought provoking and deep. It probably won't do well since intelligent movies don't do well anymore, but I am interested in it.

My Texas friend wanted to see some movies at the $.50/$1 last chance theater, so I got to see two very different films. "The Island" had been described as part "Gattaca" grafted onto an action-adventure smashup finale. In the first half, the Big Questions pop up as our buff/charmed couple discover their status as spare parts bins in a manufactured dream world. An interesting comment on Slavery, Oligarchs, and Responsibility. Too bad the likes of Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy aren't playing these roles. The next movie boiled down to a choice between "Crash" and "Stealth." Fortunately, this "L.A. Confidential" ran first, so this collection of vignettes made more of an impression than an earthbound "HAL 9000" jet with a full weapons load. Stereotypes can kill, or at least scare the living daylights out of people accustomed to snap judgements. And one must be careful not to judge too quickly, lest it come back to bite you in your complacency when you least expect it. Is that one a gang banger? A solid middle class merchant? As righteous as he thinks he is? At least one no longer "embarasses himself." And another finds out who is a real friend...around Christmas. :thumbsup:

Well, you gotta admit that there are alot of remakes. But, the only remakes are done by good directors who wanna recapture that magic. Some directors just do it to get there foot in the door...and it sucks. But i think Oliver Twist will be a happy flick.

i have to say (and apologies to my darling queen peaches for criticising anything involving mr black) i saw trailers for king kong the other day and the effects look crap! maybe the movie will be better but everything just looked so fake. i prefer the effects in jurassic park to anything that's so clearly animated. but i won't know til i actually see it i guess. and i have faith that the gorgeous genius jack will salvage it!