The Manhattan Transfer

CanAm

Does anyone else out there like the Manhattan Transfer as much as I do? For years I sang in small vocal groups, so I have a real affinity for the type of music performed by the Transfer.

They are equally adept at singing big band, jazz, R&B and pop tunes. I've twice seen them in concert and was amazed that they sound as good live as they do on studio recordings.

If anyone knows of any other small vocal groups comparable to the Manhattan Transfer, I would be grateful to hear about them.

My favourite MT tunes are Baby Come Back To Me, Trickle Trickle, Love For Sale, On A Little Street In Singapore, Boy From New York City and A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square.

I love The Manhattan Transfer and I own everything they've ever recorded. I catch them in concert every year. This year I hope to see their Holiday Concert at the Keswick Theater.

The songs you mentioned are great. I couldn't begin to list favorites because the list would be too long. However, no list would be complete without Java Jive, Heart's Desire and Soul Food To Go, just to name a few.

As for other groups...I've seen many but none as good as MT. From the songs you mention though I think you'd enjoy a great acapela group called Rockapella. They perorm all over the US and they have several CD's out. They do all kinds of music but mostly old doo wop tunes. Another great acapela group is Reunion. Another group I like is an all-girl acapela group called StreetHeart (not to be confused with a headbanger group by the same name).

By the way, the correct title of the song you refer to as Baby Come Back To Me is The Morse Code Of Love. It was originally recorded by The Capris (Of There's A Moon Out Tonight fame) in 1982. Dit dah ditta.....

Of course the group that inspired the MT, Lambert, Hendricks and Ross has much out on CD. Jon Hendricks used to sing quite a bit with MT and is even on some of their albums. Tim Hauser has great respect for him. You can check them out here. LAMBERT, HENDRICKS AND ROSS

They're much more jazzy in style...not so much pop. And, do you remember the Hi Lo's? Similar.

If you get into the acapella sound, check out The Bobs. They're more of a comedy act at times, but they've been very solid musically for about 20 years now. I've seen them live many times.

I did see the Transfers live a LONG time ago, and they were fabulous. Cheryl Bentyne is from the town where I live, and I saw her do a solo gig of all Cole Porter tunes a couple of years ago. Amazing.

Thanks, Uncle Joe, Bluesboy and Lambchop for all the suggestions. The only one I've heard of is Rockapella but I'll be sure to check them all out and get back to you. I'm actually listening to a Manhattan Transfer song right now, The Speak Up Mambo to be exact. Fabuloso!!!

:thumbsup:

If you get into the acapella sound, check out The Bobs. They're more of a comedy act at times, but they've been very solid musically for about 20 years now. I've seen them live many times.

Holy [bleep], I thought I was the only person on here that knew of the Bobs. They are by far the best accapella group I have ever seen perform. Hilarious, creative, and do an amazing live show. Can't wait for them to come to the east coast again!

If you like Manhattan Transfer I suggest buying the soundtrack to "League of Their Own." There are two songs on there by MT "Sunny Side of the Street" and "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie. THere are also some great songs like that from Billy Joel (In A Sentimental Mood), Art Garfunkle (Two Sleep People), and James Taylor (Paper Moon).

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an ad for these guys on tv today and I was thinking Manhattan Transfer, now where have I heard that before? On Songfacts of course!! Seems that they are touring Australia in August. :thumbsup:

Katie, if they play in your city, I heartily urge you to go and see them. They are one of the most amazing live acts I've ever seen. I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed.

:thumbsup: