List #12

Elvish

Jimi Hendrix - BBC Sessions

This double CD plays highlights from all of Jimi's performances on the BBC, starting in 1966, and ending in 1970 (the years may be off). The album shows how Hendrix changed throughout his short career, as they have the songs "Driving South" and "Hey Joe" on the album 3 times, each time a year later in his career. It's interesting to see how wild and crazy the last "Hey Joe" was. It also showcases his blues work very well. Some of the tracks are short interviews which are interesting for big fans of Hendrix.

"The Marshall Tucker Band" - The Marshall Tucker Band.

As one of the "Big 3", the Marshall Tucker Band completed the formula which equated to "Southern Rock". Lynyrd Skynyrd was primarily hard rock, the Allman Brothers were primarily blues rock, and the Marshall Tucker Band was primarily country rock. Their debut album had everything a country rock band needed to create beautiful music. These qualities are still found today in the country rock bands that play our nations bars, state fairs, and regional stages. Combining the beauties of the electric guitar with the acoustic guitar and adding a pedal steel guitar, some flute activity, a little fiddle, and some piano work, and you have one of the greatest combinations in Southern Rock.

This album also finds the world being introduced to probably the greatest guitarist in Southern Rock history, Toy Caldwell. Toy Caldwell can make an electric guitar sing as well as the guitar legends found in 70's hard rock.

This album features many classic hits from the Marshall Tucker Band like "Take the Highway", "Ramblin'", and the Toy Caldwell masterpiece "Can't You See". The re-release of this album also finds a 12 1/2 minute live recording of "Everyday, I Have the Blues". Toy Caldwell has never sounded quite as good as he does when he's jamming on his guitar for over 12 minutes on this song.

The Marshall Tucker Band has sustained for over 30 years in the music industry, and the way was paved with this debut album. I recommend this album to any Southern or Country Rock fan out there.

Buffett's "Meet Me In Margaritaville" is the be-all and end-all for summer party music. It is an excellent introduction to Jimmy's music, and if you aren't careful, you just may find yourself on some Caribbean beach with rum in you and a tattoo of a Mexican cutie and no idea how it got there. The downside to this is that you are afflicted with 'notacareintheworld-itis', an affliction of many a parrot-head.

Ken.

c94999510n8.jpg Spiritualized ~ "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"

AMG review:

Spiritualized's third collection of hypnotic headphone symphonies is their most brilliant and accessible to date. Largely forsaking the drones and minimalistic, repetitive riffs which have characterized his work since the halcyon days of Spacemen 3, Jason Pierce re-focuses here and spins off into myriad new directions; in a sense, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, with its majestic, Spector-like glow, is his classic rock album. "Come Together" and the blistering "Electricity" are his most edgy, straightforward rockers in eons, while the stunning "I Think I'm in Love" settles into a divided-psyche call-and-response R&B groove, and the closing "Cop Shoot Cop" (with guest Dr. John) locks into a voodoo blues trance. Lyrically, Pierce is at his most open and honest: The record is a heartfelt confessional of love and loss, with redemption found only in the form of drugs -- designed, no less, to look like a prescription pharmaceutical package, Ladies and Gentlemen is pointedly explicit in its description of drug use as a means of killing the pain on track after track. Conversely, never before have the literal implications of the name "Spiritualized" been explored in such earnest detail -- the London Community Gospel Choir appears prominently on a number of songs, while another bears the title "No God, Only Religion," pushing the music even further toward the kind of cosmic gospel transcendence it craves. A masterpiece.

Amazon review:

The packaging of the CD implies prescription medication and I guess "Ladies and Gentleman We Are Floating in Space" is a bit like medicine -- bitter and hard to swallow at first, but sure makes you feel good after the initial dosage.

The band and the music are hard to describe. I guess Spiritualized is what you'd get if you threw Radiohead, The Beatles and Sonic Youth in to a blender. They've got a sort of techno, ambient vibe, but the guitars screech and wail, the lyrics ramble on and at times it sounds more like they're smashing their instruments than playing them. They definitely pack a sonic wallop and their seemingly meandering songs come together at the end each and every time leaving you more satisfied with each listen. I think they're one of the truly unique and fresh bands out there and I recommend this album highly.

Most of the cd's I have bought are usually greatest hits, except for a few like "RUMOURS" which I am so glad it got picked!..One of my favorite greatest hits cd is "Mamas and Papas"....When I'm in the mood to hear some great harmony of the 60's I always pop this cd in...amazing harmony and the group has an interesting background history. I like to rock out once in awhile, but when I want to mellow out and listen to some harmony, this would be my choice...every time I do play it, my kids say "Oh No we are in hippie hell".....hehehe I Love It. :beatnik:

This was really difficult! You guys submitted some really awesome stuff this time.

Ok Computer - Radiohead

Crooked Rain Crooked Rain - Pavement

Americano - Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers

King & Queen - Otis Redding, Carla Thomas

Blind Melon - Blind Melon