Greetings from the depths!

Ken

I did my first wreck dive today and as an experience, I can honestly say I've never had anything like it. We dove the wreck of the "Wexford", a package freighter that sank in the Black Friday storm of 1913 taking all 17 aboard with her. The wreck is about 9 miles off the shore of the town of Grand Bend, Ontario, in about 75-80 feet of water. When we got out there I was a bit unnerved by the fact I couldn't really see land and was about to use all of the training I have recently received. We entered the water, made our way to the tether rope, and began the descent. One of the first things I noticed was an odd rhythmic clunking sound. It turns out it was the point of attachment of the other tether at the boat making time with the waves. phouse9zz.jpg

This is the pilothouse, or, rather, what is left of the pilothouse. Every single bit of the wreck is covered with zebra mussels.

anchors0qr.jpg This was the first view of the ship and whatever I thought I would feel, exhileration, awe, excitement, wasn't there. What was there was the same feeling I get when in a graveyard or a funeral home. Quiet respect.

This is another view of the pilot house from the top.

phouse29dc.jpg

The inside is strewn with wreckage but amid all that is the weirdest sense of peace. inside5eh.jpg

This was the last section of the ship we were in before air supplies dictated that we head back up to the surface.

inside30dq.jpg

I wish I would have started this hobby years ago.

Ken.

There are thousands of accessable wrecks in the Great Lakes.

As for water temperature, well, wetsuits are a wonderful invention. I have a 2-piece 7mm (1/4") thick wetsuit. As it is a 2-piece you get 14mm (1/2") of warmth-holding neoprene over the major organs. Toss in a 5mm hood over your head and it cuts heat loss quite a bit. A thermalcline is something you have to see / feel to fully understand. It is where the warmer upper layer of water meets the lower colder layer of water. Like, in some cases, a 25 degree difference. THAT, you can feel right through the 'suit. But you are only in that for a half-hour so it isn't that bad. Your fingers and toes are a bit cold, but what you are seeing is worth the chill.

Ken.

More like king of the underworld ! :laughing:

Noooo. Nice try though. King of the underworld belongs to carcharodon carcharias. The "Ragged Toothed One". He and I have a date one of these days. 962whiteshark4pg.jpg Say hello to my little friend.......

Ken.

As frightening an appearance as the Great White Shark has, they are in danger of becoming extinct. Ocean warming, gill nets, and fishing them for their fins has caused their numbers to fall, drastically. Peter Benchley, author of "Jaws" says he couldn't write the book again in good conscience knowing now what he knows about the behaviour of this magnificent fish. And what science knows about whites is limited. But I'll tell you what I DO know. Before God, fate, or whomever is controlling all of our lives ends my ride here, I am going to swim with one of these guys. I will do so from the safety of a cage, but you mark my words, I WILL reach out and touch the side of him as he goes by. You can bet on that..

Ken.

Go for it, Ken. But there's a good chance that you may only be able to type at one-half the speed when you get back on Songfacts. Good luck, though. And bring me a tooth.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :thumbsup:

Well the folks around south Louisiana

Said Amos was a hell of a man

He could trap the biggest, the meanest alligator

and just use one hand

That's all he got left cause an alligator bit it

Leeft arm gone clean up to the elbow

..an except from "Amos Moses" by Jerry Reed

I just read in the paper today that the hurricane that just passed through righted a sunken ship down in the Keys. I forget the name of it. The article said it is home to over 160 sea creatures, and nowm sitting upright, will be a great place for divers, as when they originally sank it, it turned upside-down, and the keel was sticking up out of the water.

If anyone cares.