Coming of Age

_jr_

I've never given up on music. I still insist on watching MTV and BET. I know I am too old, but dammit, I remember when MTV first began, and I'm not letting any whippersnappers run me off. It's not all to my liking and I would much rather listen to my Duran Duran records than anything that Good Charlotte poops out onto a CD, but I am determined not to let anything pass me by. I would have missed out on such artists as the Foo Fighters and Alicia Keys if I had "given up".

I basically quit listening to the radio in the mid to late 1980's. At that point, most of the bands I liked (who were still recording) were no longer getting any airplay. However, that did not mean that I quit listening to "new" music, it just meant that I quit listening to the mindless pap on commercial radio and began to broaden my musical horizons. I started listening to Celtic music (Clannad, Capercaillie, Loreena McKennit) and other performers like Los Lobos, The Texas Tornadoes, Robert Cray and Mary Chapin Carpenter who were not really "mainstream", for want of a better expression.

For the most part, the majority of contemporary mainstream artists sound the same to me. I am also distressed by the overall lack of musicianship. Technological gimmicks have replaced musical virtuosity. Whether or not one likes "classic rock", no one can honestly say that classic rock artists all sound the same or that most of them were poor musicians.

I plan to expose my children to a variety of music and let them make up their own minds about what they like and don't like. I'm sure that they will listen to music I don't care for, but that's to be expected. Each generation needs to find music that it can call its own.

I think a few years back...between the ages of 12 and 15 when hip-hop started gaining ground and Britney and boyband were all the rage. I figured there was something wrong, when I couldn't sit through any of these songs from beginning to end

Sometime in the 90's I realized I couldn't listen to what was being played as "new"music on the radio. That's when I went back to the stuff I really liked from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and some 80's.I realized I didn't need to be cool and keep up with the kids. I just wanted to hear music I liked. And most of what I liked isn't really mainstream anyway, cause I like the blues, and some really off the wall stuff by Beefheart, besides the classic rock radio stuff.

Not to say I don't like todays music at all. I like anything that is done well, and makes me want to Move!!!