Coming of Age

_jr_

Since this is in the classic music forum, it will probably pertain to mainly the ..ahem....more 'mature in years only' posters. But it's not exlusive to just that crowd, though. Anyone can post their thoughts on the subject.

My question is this....when did it dawn on you that "man, today's music sucks!!"

Now, that is not at all what I am inferring. What I'm getting at, is when did you grow away from what was on the radio, and start leaning more and more on what you already knew you liked?

I read a quote somewhere, and I wish I knew who said it, so I could cite the person, but in essence, they said "When you turn 30, music starts to suck."

In my case, it was probably around 26-27 years old for me. That's when that rap and grunge and stuff showed up. I finally gave up and programmed my radio for the classic rock and easy listening stations.

Anyone else?

Keep in mind, this isn't a thread to thrash today's music, rather to share with us when you began to 'not relate so well' to the music that was coming out.

Oh I totally agree with you jr. I have two teenaged daughters, so I hear quite a bit of todays music. Since both of them have different taste, I hear alot of, well I guess the kids call it "angry music????", I dont know, I guess it's heavy metal. Then the other daughter listens to alot of R&B, hip hop kinda music, which I personally dont care for...It's not the R&B we use to listen to obviously...Oh well jr, as Dylan says "The times, they are a-changing" :)

For me, the definitive moments was when I bought "Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix" and "Early Days and Latter Days: Led Zeppelin's Greatest Hits" in the same week. Then, for the next month, I went on a classic rock binge, listening to the biggest names in classic rock, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Beatles. I'd say in that month, I realized that there is more to music than I had heard on the radio. But I was only 14, so I'm not really sure if that counts as "coming of age"

I'm 15, and the "man this music sucks" attitude has been with me all my life. I spent my early childhood on country music, and occasionally some classical, but haven't liked modern popular music for as long as I can remember, with a few exceptions (went through a BNL craze when I was about 10, still like them). Then when I moved to western Washington I started experimenting in listening to rock, didn't find any modern stuff I liked, so I searched through my dad's collection and found Led Zeppelin 4. I still listen to country, but I love the classic rock stuff now. As you can imagine, that combination of musical tastes gets some odd looks from some of my friends in high school.

Even now and then I hear another autrocity to the music world... my most recent is Hollerback Girl. Before that, the Thong Song, Spice World, and barbie girl.

I live in the classic music world... even though most music was made before I was born. There's something about the old classic three chord rock, power chords, drum solos, and songwritting styles that just blows 99.99% of today's music out of the water.

Even now and then I hear another autrocity to the music world... my most recent is Hollerback Girl. Before that, the Thong Song, Spice World, and barbie girl.

I live in the classic music world... even though most music was made before I was born. There's something about the old classic three chord rock, power chords, drum solos, and songwritting styles that just blows 99.99% of today's music out of the water.

I grew up with that classic sound and I can't shake it...to me, there is nothing better.

I think it was about the time I stopped going to clubs because the music they were playing was hip-hop and rap. I was about 25 and couldn't take that type of music anymore. I also can't stand the real headbanger stuff that started coming out when I was about 30. The only good music is the music I like!! :happybanana: :laughing: :thumbsup: :laughing:

JR...I think your question is a great question. I have always said that I stopped listening to music in 1980, meaning that I just gave up on current stuff. I was 21 years old at the time. It was the time of new wave and punk rock making a more prominent place in rock. Though the new wave had a few good hits (I can think of Devo's Whip It and B-52's Love Shack) as a whole I never endeared myself to it. There were also the hair bands of the early eighties. I am not sure if it is me or did alot of their music sound the same? I will say though that the hair bands had the greatest power ballads I ever heard.

Around 1980 U2 debuted but I did not really care for their music until The Joshua Tree hit the shelves and at that time I decided to give more of a listen to them. Now that I think back, I am not sure if it was the fact I didn't like their music or more than likely just that I turned my back on new music after 1980. Today I am a U2 fan.

I guess when music continued to progress in the 80's I did not think any of it compared to the rock of the mid 60's through the late 70's. Think of it....were there any bands out there in the 80's as good as The Who, Grand Funk, Cream, The Stones, The Beatles or Pink Floyd? I say there wasn't, hence the term classic rock for the era (mid 60's through late 70's)

Last time I really fell in love with a new record was in 1975, Patti Smith, "Horses". Then the last Stones, Seger, Bowie, Lou Reed, etc. But I have been listening to all the new stuff till early 90´s, for profesional reasons, and some things were just "great" while others boring, good, funny, etc... REM, Smashmouth, Smithereens, Nirvana, Pixies, Psychedelic Furs, Echo & the Bunnymen, Cure, Ramones, Duran Duran are some of the ones I liked. But it´s not the same.

i think you are all rejecting loads of good music just because it's new. yes, it is not classic, but that doesn't make it not worth a listen. and perhaps it is the age thing for most of you, but some of you are way too young to be rejecting anything new! i love the doors, and pink floyd and the cure and radiohead, all from different decades!

i think you are all rejecting loads of good music just because it's new. yes, it is not classic, but that doesn't make it not worth a listen. and perhaps it is the age thing for most of you, but some of you are way too young to be rejecting anything new! i love the doors, and pink floyd and the cure and radiohead, all from different decades!

I know there is good music nowadays, people living with me are followers of this music. There are records of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Oasis, Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers in my home as well as from other artists from this decade. I like it when friends or hubby or nephew plays them. It´s just that I´m not deeply touched by them just as I was with other kind of music.

I am young (20 years old) but I took Jr's question to mean commercial radio. Like my local radio station. They never play Radiohead or Metallica or Velvet Revolver or REM (they barely play any U2 even!), let alone any classic rock, true punk or metal. That's why I stopped listening to the radio, cos all the music was dance, pop, R&B and rap. So if I want to listen to some good, new music, it ain't gonna happen listening to the radio! I much, much prefer old music anyways. Give me Alice Cooper or David Bowie any day!!

That aside, I do enjoy some new music, although it is limited. Audioslave are great, the new Foo Fighters album rocks, Greenday are okay for 'fluff punk', The Scissor Sisters, Velvet Revolver, Franz Ferdinand, Outkast and The Darkness are all bands I enjoy listening to. It is just that my personal preferences and tastes lie in 'old' music. ::

I don't know if I've "come of age" yet regarding music.....there's always stuff I don't like on the radio, but coming on this forum, talking to friends and reading about music had helped me expand my horizons and go beyond just what is played on the radio. Right now, I am listening to a classic rock station.

That being said, I've always found something to like on the radio. I like to have fun with music, it doesn't always have to be deep and meaningful. So what if the lyrics are stupid or whatever, sometimes I just want to "shake my thang".