Freddie Mercury

Batman

Are you just funnin with this one? It is widely excepted that Freddie was gay! Who is to judge where he got his death warrant! It is sad that we mourn the loss of such talent, and he kept it to himself for so long.. I wonder how many people would have thought about protection would he have came out publically earlier? I honestly think that he could have been a spokesperson for AIDS, and even if he'd saved one life that would have been worth it!

Rock on Freddie, you live because of your music! Not because of your sexual preference.

Freddie Mercury is one of my idols. A fantastically talented man, Freddie was also flamboyant and careless. He lived life in the fast lane, and his antics eventually caught up with him.

Freddie always threw caution to the wind, in every aspect of his life. It was his lifestyle that caused him to contract HIV then later AIDS.

Freddie lived his life to the full, and had no regrets. He chose to keep his illness from his fans as he did not want to taint their image of him. Many people have been made aware and lives possibly saved in the name of Freddie Mercury courtesy of a massive concert given in his honour to promote awareness of the illness.

Freddie Mercury is one of those true free spirits whose time on earth is always short. But no matter the length of his stay in this world, his legacy will always live on.

We miss you Freddie xx

Are you just funnin with this one? It is widely excepted that Freddie was gay! Who is to judge where he got his death warrant! It is sad that we mourn the loss of such talent, and he kept it to himself for so long.. I wonder how many people would have thought about protection would he have came out publically earlier? I honestly think that he could have been a spokesperson for AIDS, and even if he'd saved one life that would have been worth it!

Rock on Freddie, you live because of your music! Not because of your sexual preference.

yeah, I know hes a really good singer, I wasn't trying to insult him, I just asked a question!

sheesh! You are jumping to conclusions too fast. You asume just because I ask one question im a homophobe. maybe im jumping to conclusions in saying that last sentence but...

I didn't read any disrespect into that reply Batman. To some people, it's real obvious that Rosie O'Donnell and Freddie Mercury and Bert are gay as Christmas, but it's not clear to everyone. I don't think anyone believes you are a homophobe.

Freddie was Bi for the record. That should have no bearing on whether he was any good or not and should not really be a factor when discussing Queens music. Just because he did things his own way in his private life doesn't make his art any less special.

After all, Bowie and the Red Hot Chili Peppers either were or are gay and no-one makes comments as such about them.

I was in second grade when "We will rock you" came out. I only remember this because of gym class. People would stomp on the floor like the intro to the song before our instructor got organized enough to make us do jumping jacks or some other calisthenic. I had no idea they were a gay band. Looking back it should have been obvious just from the band's name but it wasn't until years later that I found it out.

But the Chili Peppers, say it ain't so. When I was younger I wanted to sleep with that guy. Guess that's not going to be happening. It does however explain the semi-clothed state of some of their performances. They were just having some fun backstage and lost track of time.

It doesn't change my opinion of either band. I always liked Queen and I already made my opinion of the Chili Peppers known in the last paragraph. I stopped wanting to sleep with him several years ago. I swore off long-haired men forever. I started to write my reason but realized it was way too personal. Probably should stop typing.

I didn't know the Village People were gay until years later either, again due to being in elementary school when they were popular.

Yeah ... you wanna know somethin' funny? I never even thought of the slang refrence of "Queen" and the bands name and Freddy M before, and I've known about this group since they flew onto the music scene back in the 70's. And I'm NOT naive either!!

Music is great. It's in everything, if you listen. The wind in the trees and the sound of the river rapids. Music is shaped by the minds and the soul and the spirit of the musician, it knows no gender, no color, no sex, and no social status. Music is the grand equalizer that synchronizes and otherwise random universe, it was created by God for God with God and makes God happy -- |in my opinion|. It gives me great joy, my day can NOT begin without it and is empty throughout without it and it means more to me than oxygen because without it there would be no reason for me to breathe! I LOVE MUSIC PEOPLE!!! I always have and I always will!

Peace and good will to you all ~

Goodnight.

Mike

Music is great. It's in everything, if you listen. The wind in the trees and the sound of the river rapids. Music is shaped by the minds and the soul and the spirit of the musician, it knows no gender, no color, no sex, and no social status. Music is the grand equalizer that synchronizes and otherwise random universe, it was created by God for God with God and makes God happy -- |in my opinion|. It gives me great joy, my day can NOT begin without it and is empty throughout without it and it means more to me than oxygen because without it there would be no reason for me to breathe! I LOVE MUSIC PEOPLE!!! I always have and I always will!

Preach it brother! :laughing: Very nicely put there Mike. ::

I take offence at Queen being labelled a 'gay' band because they weren't.

It was Freddie's idea to name the band 'Queen'. Brian, Roger and John all agreed to it because the name itself spelt rebellion and presented a challenge to society. Rock music is all about pushing the boundaries and that is what these four men did. The fact that their lead singer became gay half way into their careers (and the word queen could have taken on a different connotation) had nothing to do with it. They were named Queen a long time before then.

I take offence at Queen being labelled a 'gay' band because they weren't.

It was Freddie's idea to name the band 'Queen'. Brian, Roger and John all agreed to it because the name itself spelt rebellion and presented a challenge to society.

First..what's to take offence at? The band are popular with both gay and straight people. The lead singer was gay, the other three are straight. Big deal.

Second, please explain to me how the name "Queen" spells rebellion and a challenge to society? How? I dont think the monarchy were exactly quaking in their shoes, do you? Or even remotely cared.

Peace and good will to you all ~

Goodnight.

Mike

Kumbaya, brother! :bow:

But the Chili Peppers, say it ain't so. When I was younger I wanted to sleep with that guy. Guess that's not going to be happening. It does however explain the semi-clothed state of some of their performances. They were just having some fun backstage and lost track of time.

I remember reading an article in a magazine a friend of mine had at school one day when I was in year 11, just after the "Blood Sugar" double album became huge. In it they openly admitted to "eating together, playing together, writing together, sleeping together". Once again, it doesn't change my opinion of their music at all, and I don't believe their music should be judged on that basis either.

First..what's to take offence at? The band are popular with both gay and straight people. The lead singer was gay, the other three are straight. Big deal.

Second, please explain to me how the name "Queen" spells rebellion and a challenge to society? How? I dont think the monarchy were exactly quaking in their shoes, do you? Or even remotely cared.

I suppose the challenge would be if people would still listen to the band just because of the name and its homosexual meanings. When I first heard them I didn't know they were gay. Now I find out only Freddie was gay. The music stays the same either way. Wayne wasn't gay but had no problem starting off a weekend night in the 'mirth mobile' with "Bohemian Rhapsody". Shouldn't we all follow Wayne's lead.

I still love the Chili Peppers, just disappointed that there is now no chance of ever having a romantic interlude with Keidis. Did I spell that right?

Now the Village People were all gay, right. Or was it just the cop?

the village people....phew, thats a different story! LOL, the cop was not the only one openly gay.

Ok, and about Freddie Mercury, the man was a genius, i dont care if he was gay, straight, bi, male, female, had aids, cancer, herpes, or what have you, he was an awesome singer, an amazing writer, and could give even the straightest of men chillbumps when Bohemian Rhapsody came on.

ROCK ON IN HEAVEN MERCURY....MAKE THE ANGELS DANCE!

Was Freddie Mercury gay? I always thought he was just flamboyant. According to the Bohemian Rhapsody thread, he is, but then how did he get AIDS?

I am trying hard not to get on my soapbox, because it takes so long to get back down, but I feel I have no choice.

deep breath...

We all understand that you don't have to be gay to get AIDS, don't we? Blood transfusions, sharing needles, mother-to-unborn-child transference...none of those are exclusive to homosexuals.

Peace to all,

Peaches

I am trying hard not to get on my soapbox, because it takes so long to get back down, but I feel I have no choice.

deep breath...

We all understand that you don't have to be gay to get AIDS, don't we? Blood transfusions, sharing needles, mother-to-unborn-child transference...none of those are exclusive to homosexuals.

Peace to all,

Peaches

The Bohemian Rhapsody reference was to Waynes World. I was saying that Wayne wasn't gay and liked Queen so why can't we all be like Wayne.

As far as I know Magic Johnson, and Arthur Ashe weren't gay, yet both still got AIDS. I wasn't saying that being gay was why Freddie got AIDS. Freddie got AIDS from unprotected sex, just like Magic Johnson. Freddie's was just unprotected sex with a man. Arthur got it from a blood transfusion. I'm a tennis player and have always admired Arthur Ashe. One of the reasons he wasn't more open about his illness was because so many people still think it is a gay disease. He died several years ago. If there wasn't such a stigma attached to the disease, Ashe might have been able further the cause of AIDS research through activism much like Magic Johnsons admissions have helped to make people realize that it is not just a 'gay' disease and we should all be concerned with finding a cure.

Terry Bradshaw's admission to suffering from clinical depression has also raised peoples awareness of that disease and its treatability. This I believe was especially helpful for men who suffer from depression. I say this because studies have shown that men are far less likely than women to seek help for pshychological problems. I'm from Dallas and Terry Bradshaw caused me much pain as a child. Super Bowl 10 was the last time I cried over a sporting event. I like him a lot better now that he works for the FOX team. It took a lot of courage for Magic to admit he has AIDS and for Terry to talk openly about suffering from depression. By doing so they have both raised public awarness of the diseases and hopefully gotten us one step closer to a cure.