Anyone know a good graduation song?

I'm a rising senior in high school, and as a singer, I want to get an early start on finding a good song to try out with for graduation (not sure if it's the same at all schools, but at ours, students audition to perform a song at graduation). Does anyone know of a good song dealing with graduation, memories, "the good times", etc.? The only song I've thought of off the top of my head is "Time of your Life" by Green Day (I'm a guy). Oh, and PLEASE don't say "Graduation" by Vitamin C. Terrible song, and way overdone. Sorry if anyone likes it. Thanks!!

" Times Of Your Life " - Paul Anka

Here are the lyrics:

Good morning, yesterday

You wake up and time has slipped away

And suddenly it's hard to find

The memories you left behind

Remember, do you remember

The laughter and the tears

The shadows of misty yesteryears

The good times and the bad you've seen

And all the others in between

Remember, do you remember

The times of your life (do you remember)

Reach back for the joy and the sorrow

Put them away in your mind

The mem'ries are time that you borrow

To spend when you get to tomorrow

Here comes the saddest part (comes the saddest part)

The seasons are passing one by one

So gather moments while you may

Collect the dreams you dream today

Remember, will you remember

The times of your life

Gather moments while you may

Collect the dreams you dream today

Remember, will you remember

The times of your life

Of your life

Of your life

Do you remember, baby

Do you remember the times of your life

Do you remember, baby

Do you remember the times of your life

Some songs that I think appropriate (and I may be alone in my thinking here but don't dismiss them without giving them a chance:)

Across the Universe - The Beatles

Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve

Closing Time - Semisonic

You Get what You Give - THe New Radicals

The Long and Winding Road - The Beatles

In My Life - The Beatles

If I had a Rocket Launcher - Bruce Cockburn

We made a song for my Year 12 graduation. One of the boys in my year was a computer whizz and he merged all these little pieces of songs together to form this 11-minute song that we all sang along to in front of our whole school. We used parts from:

Tribute - Tenacious D ("this is the greatest and best song in the world")

With A Little Help From My Friends - The Beatles ("what would you think if I sang out of tune, would you stand up and walk out on me? lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song and I'll try not to sing out of key")

Stand By Me - John Lennon ("when the night has come, and the land is dark and the mooon is the only light we'll see, no I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid just as long as you stand by me")

Time Of My Life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes ("Because I've had the time of my life")

Summer Of '69 - Bryan Adams ("oh when I look back now, the summer seemed to last forever, and if I had the choice, yeah I'd always wanna be there, those were the best days of my life")

Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor ("rising up, straight to the top, had the guts got the glory, went the distance now I'm not gonna stop, just a man and his will to survive")

School's Out - Alice Cooper ("no more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks, out for summer, out til fall, we might not go back at all, school's out completely")

We Are The Champions - Queen ("I've paid my dues, tima after time, I've done my sentence but committed no crime. And bad mistakes, I've made a few. I've had my share of sand kicked in my face but I've come through")

Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys ("wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long, and wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong")

The Happy Days Theme

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies ("the road is long, with many a winding turn that leads us to who knows where, who knows where, but I'm strong")

We Go Together from Grease

We also wrote a poem about our year with a line about each person in it. ::

Look no further, my good man. This one is called "The Last Assembly" by the Kinks:

"As I walked to the last assembly,

There were tears in the back of my eyes,

And I saw all my friends all around me,

They were there to wish me goodbye.

As I stood in a line with my comrades,

I felt such a feeling of pride,

And I forgot all the grief and the hatred inside,

As we sang for the very last time.

Gather round, gather round,

Everybody gather round.

Come and join our last assembly,

Let us smile, wipe away all the frowns.

Everybody gather round.

As we stood at the last assembly,

All my friends came to wish me goodbye.

Everybody gather round.

As I stand at the last assembly,

I just can't keep the tears from my eyes."

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :thumbsup:

Seriously. Do the Charlie Brown one. There are no lyrics. Just walk up to the mike and stand there the whole time it's playing. Maybe tap your foot. Guarateed standing ovation afterwards, and you'll be the one part of the ceremony no one will ever forget.

Songs Used at my Graduation:

"Seasons of Love" -RENT

"Con Te Partido (Time to Say Goodbye)" -Paveroti

"The Prayer" -Josh Groban

"I Hope You Dance" -LeeAnn Womack

Other songs:

"In My Life" -The Beatles

"Time to Remember" -Billy Joel

"Bookends/Old Friends" -Simon and Garfunkle

"These Are the Days" -10,000 Maniacs

"Now and Forever" -Carole King

"With a Little Help from my Friends" -Joe Cocker

"Forever Young" -Rod Stewart (or Dylan)

"New Horizons" -Moody Blues

Seriously, if you made your own song, you could personalize it for your class...you could classalize it. The lyrics could have stuff about all the senior classes memories. Of course, if you have to make it before the senior year even starts, that could be tricky.

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot...I've gotten some great ideas. Unfortunately, I can't use the ones that mention everyone in the class...I'm in a class of over 700! :crazy: Right now I'm torn between "Stand By Me" (the soul version, though, not John Lennon...Ben E. King's is better known), Green Day's "Time of Your Life" (a classic for those of us growing up in the late '90s), and Coldplay's "Fix You" from their new album X&Y. Let me know what you think of those choices. Thanks again!

Thanks a lot...I've gotten some great ideas. Unfortunately, I can't use the ones that mention everyone in the class...I'm in a class of over 700! :crazy: Right now I'm torn between "Stand By Me" (the soul version, though, not John Lennon...Ben E. King's is better known), Green Day's "Time of Your Life" (a classic for those of us growing up in the late '90s), and Coldplay's "Fix You" from their new album X&Y. Let me know what you think of those choices. Thanks again!

Hmmm, what's "Fix You" about?