And your favorite bands and songs of the nineties (90's)....

Mike

Geez, i remember my friends getting me into Weird Al Yancovic when i was in 4th grade which was middle of the 90's and i listened to Soundgarden.

But, at this time was when i also started listening to classic music. The 90's had GREAT music! It wasnt my favorite at times, but i lived through the 90's and 90's music i know about and cant wait to tell my kids about! Something i can relate to.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I had to think on this one, being stuck in the 60's and 70's....but there are a few artists that I am into from the 90's. I love Pearl Jam, Collective Soul, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and I bought Jewel's first album and liked it. I don't care for much of her stuff after that though. Melissa Etherdige, she just rocks! And Sarah McLachlan has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard, I have 2 of her albums.

I adore Blind Melon and the Chili Peppers and Soul Asylum and Collective Soul and Kula Shaker.

I also like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Toploader, Gin Blossoms, Goo Goo Dolls, The Verve, INXS, Jane's Addiction, Weezer, Soup Dragons, Lemonheads, Suzanne Vega, REM, Stone Temple Pilots, Spin Doctors...

S-J,

Have you ever listened to Portishead? One of the best artists to emerge from the 90s in (not just) my opinion. Some people might be put off by the label "trip-hop" often ascribed to Portishead, on account that it rhymes with "hip-hop". Don't be discouraged: the only features in common, in Portishead's case, is that they make use of borrowed beats, samples and some pretty discreet "scratching". However, believe me when I say that the outcome doesn't really resemble hip-hop as you may know it; the music has more like a "smoky, jazzy film-noir soundtrack" feel. But what really sets Portishead apart is their vocalist Beth Gibbons, whose incredible voice has a "lived in" quality, if that makes any sense? She conveys vulnerability, pain, bitterness, sensuality, etc. in such a way as to convince you that she has "been there"... Words struggle to do justice to the emotional quality of Gibbons' voice, but personally I would have no qualms in suggesting she may be the best British soul-singer...well, certainly of "my generation".

For more opinion on Portishead, I believe Batman has waxed lyrical about them in his review of their classic "Dummy" album. (See "Album Reviews" thread)

i bought my mom portishead's "glory box" a few years ago, and she loved it, so trip-hop is only bad because of the rhyming with hip-hop as you mentioned.

she certianly had an amazing voice, really emotional, and their songs are great. "glory box" is definitely a masterpiece. unfortunately, they didn't stay together ofr very long

Smashing Pumpkins of course were a big hit back then as well.

I remember my youth group having a halloween themed party called Smashing Pumpkins, we blared the pumpkins music while making a ginormous huge slingshot with two trees and we literally launched, and smashed pumpkins!

Sister Hazel started up in the late 90's. Im going to see them Saturday, hopefully they put on a good show. Im going for there originally awesome song. All For You!