And your favorite bands and songs of the nineties (90's)....

Mike

^Agree totally. I used to be into the heavy stuff, but not for quite awhile. However, "JCP" is just an amazing song. "Immensity" is a perfect word for it, B-F.

Of course, "Searching With My Good Eye Closed" and "Slaves & Bulldozers" from the same album ("Badmotorfinger") are pretty amazing as well...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that when grunge was really big, I didn't get into Soundgarden all that much, maybe because their sound was too "heavy" for me. After the whole grunge thing died down, I found a few songs that I really liked and was really impressed when I read that at the time Matt Cameron liked to mess around with time signatures, making their songs sound pretty unconventional. If I knew someone with a Soundgarden CD where I lived I'd be happy to take a listen to the whole thing in its entirety.

I have to say that when grunge was really big, I didn't get into Soundgarden all that much, maybe because their sound was too "heavy" for me.

That sentence pretty much stands for me too. I wasn't into them at all at the time. I became interested in them much later on, when a friend played Jesus Christ Pose to me "in the right ambient circumstances". Later still, I picked up their albums as charity shop bargains. I'm not a devotee of theirs, but they certainly have stuff to recommend them.

I was a big Soundgarden fan from the moment I heard "Outshined". I rank their next album, Superunknown, as one of my all-time faves.

I remember getting a friend of mine hooked on them by playing "Outshined" very loud at a party we were at. The song rocks.

• 4 weeks later...

Some favorite songs from the 90's

(I'll try to limit multiple choices from the same band, unless I just can't help myself)

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings

Jamiroquai - Canned Heat

Chumbawumba - Tubthumping (you know you like it...or liked it at one point)(for those who don't recognize the name, this is the song that goes "he takes a whiskey drink, he takes a vodka drink, he takes a lager drink...")

Soundgarden - Rusty Cage

Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

Nirvana - Lithium

Nirvana - In Bloom

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box

Radiohead - Airbag

Radiohead - Paranoid Android

Nine Inch Nails - Closer

Massive Attack - Angel

Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps

Dr. Dre - F*** Wit Dre

Fu Manchu - Evil Eye

Fu Manchu - Squash That Fly!

Neutral Milk Hotel - King of Carrot Flowers

Neutral Milk Hotel - Two Headed Boy

Eminem - My Name Is

Primus - My Name is Mudd

Primus - Jerry Was a Racecar Driver

Manic Street Preachers - Yes

Manic Street Preachers - Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier

Manic Street Preachers - Die in the Summertime

Manic Street Preachers - Archives of Pain

Manic Street Preachers - All Surface No Feeling

Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness

Manic Street Preachers - to save time, let's just say every song from "The Holy Bible," "Generation Terrorists" and "Everything Must Go"

Alice In Chains - Man in the Box

Weezer - Buddy Holly

Weezer - Say It Aint So

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

The Offspring - Low Self Esteem (correct title?)

Blur - Song 2

Truth be told I'm not as much of a fan of the 90's as I make myself out to be.

My favourites in the 90s were (including the ones you mentioned):

Nirvana - heart shaped box

Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Collective Soul - she gathers rain

silverchair - freak

4 non blondes - spaceman

REM - nightswimming

Juliana Hatfield 3 - I hate my sister

Lemonheads - it's about time

Soul Asylum - runaway train

Live - heropsychodreamer

Green Day - In the end

Goo goo dolls - Iris

Offspring - self esteem

Red Hot Chili Peppers - give it away

Blind Melon - no rain

Nine Inch Nails - closer

Prodigy - Their law

Crash Test Dummies - god shuffled his feet

Alice in chains - angry chair

Soundgarden - the day I tried to live

Stone Temple Pilots - vasoline

Supergrass - alright

Placebo - Nancy Boy

Suede - the beautiful ones

The Verve - history

Oasis - some might say

Blur - beetlebum

Embrace - fireworks

jj72 - snow

Spacehog - in the meantime

Space - me and you vs the world

Mazzy Star - fade into you

Radiohead - subterranean homesick alien

Weezer - Buddy Holly

Toad the wet sprocket - good intentions

Gin blossoms - follow you down

Dave Matthews Band - crash into me

Ben Folds Five - brick

Ocean Colour Scene - the day we caught the train

Bush - letting the cables sleep

Manic Street Preachers - Australia

Guns n Roses - November rain

Faith No More - evidence

Garbage - #1 crush

Skunk Anansie - secretly

The Pixies - bone machine

The Breeders - cannonball

Prong - whose fist

James - laid, say something

Tool - stinkfist

Smashing Pumpkins - today

RATM - bullet in your head

Butthole Surfers - pepper

Hope this jolts the old memory Levi's! I've included one of my favourite songs for each artist, not necessarily all that I know or can recommend of course.

When I think of more, I'll get back to the old list :thumbsup:

wow some of those song titles made me think of songs i havent heard in a long time, most of those songs take me back to being 14 years old...ALICE IN CHAINS RULE

Let me just remind everyone who likes 6 minute long or more epic rock songs that after a drought of such songs in the 80s (I think, or at least I haven't found any), they sort of returned in the 90s. My favourites are:

Guns 'N Roses - November Rain, Civil War

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Pink Floyd - High Hopes

Queen - Innuendo

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters

• 1 month later...

Alice in Chains - Would? / Nutshell

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Bloodhound Gang

Bush - Everything Zen

Danzig - Can't Speak

Eminem - Forgot About Dre

Ethyl Meatplow - Devil's Johnson

Greenday - Basketcase / She

Jane's Addiction - Stop

KMFDM - A Drug Against War

Korn - Ball Tongue

L7

Marilyn Manson - Dopehat

Melvins - Hooch

NIN - Hurt

Nirvana - Francis Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle

Pantera - Psycho Holiday

Pearl Jam - Black

Phish

Prick - Animal

Prodigy - Smack My B*tch Up

Prong - Snap Your Fingers; Snap Your Neck

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

Rage Against the Machine - Ghost of Tom Joad

Rancid - Dope Sick Girl

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

Soundgarden - Fell On Black Days / Outshined

Stone Temple Pilots - Creep

Temple of the Dog - Say Hello to Heaven

Tool - 46 & 2

Tripping Daisy - I've Got a Girl

Type O Negative - Black No. 1

Ugly Kid Joe - Neighbor

Vandals

White Zombie - Electric Head 1&2

Rob Zombie - Living Dead Girl

• 3 months later...

We talk alot about old music...well, now the 90's are old, so lets talk 90's music.

I think the first band i actually started comprehending back then was Smashing Pumpkins.

• Rock and roll becomes an alternative taste, although it still outsells hip hop at the beginning of the decade. Popular styles include grunge (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden), post-grunge (Collective Soul, Third Eye Blind, Everclear, Creed), heavy metal and alternative metal (Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Pantera, Tool), Britpop and British rock (Oasis, Blur, Suede, Pulp, Radiohead, The Verve, Travis), pop-punk and Commercial-Punk (Green Day, Offspring, Rancid, Blink-182), third wave ska (No Doubt, Sublime, Mighty Mighty Bosstones), indie rock (Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Pavement, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse), jam bands (Dave Matthews Band, Phish), and nu metal (KoЯn, Limp Bizkit) toward the end of the decade. Singer-songwriters include Alanis Morissette, Beck, and Jeff Buckley, and the multi platinum success Jewel.

• Rap and Hip hop music gains widespread mainstream acceptance throughout the decade, starting with influential albums by NWA and Public Enemy around 1989-91, leading to the commercial success of MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice, the alternative hip-hop pioneers De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest, and the mid-90s explosion of gangsta rap from Dr. Dre, and the iconic figures of Tupac Shakur and Notorious BIG, whose success paves the way for Puff Daddy and crossover star Eminem in the late 1990s, finally putting rap on top of the pop world.

• Smoothly produced Teen pop held over from the late 1980s popular into 1991, returns with the Spice Girls and Take That in Britain and the Backstreet Boys in America beginning in 1997, ultimately leading to stars like Britney Spears, *NSYNC and Christina Aguilera, while Madonna continues to have success with her influential Dance-pop.

• R&B Music such as Quiet Storm is popular with artists such as such Babyface, Brian McKnight, Monica, Brandy, and Faith Evans. R&B girl groups such as TLC, SWV, and En Vogue are hugely popular as well. Also, artists like Aaliyah, Lauryn Hill, and Mary J. Blige combine hip hop with R&B in the 1990s. Artists like Toni Braxton, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey appeal to the Top 40 crowd with their ballad songs in the early to mid 90s. R&B Boy Bands are big throughout the 90s such as Jodeci, Dru Hill, Blackstreet, 112 and especially Boyz II Men who appealed to the Top 40 crowd are popular as well.

• Latin music becomes popular outside a Spanish-speaking audience with crossover hits by Ricky Martin and others.

• Music festivals such as Lollapalooza or Woodstock became popular; a fusing of genres from alternative rock, rap, punk rock and garage bands.

• Popular hard rock bands maintain a strong presence into the 1990s. Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, Ozzy Osbourne, and Van Halen were all still quite popular through the mid 1990s. Aerosmith and Bon Jovi's popularity and success spanned the entire decade and both were extremely popular at the turn of the new millennium.

• Music resumes its political content after the hiatus of the 1980s. Starting in 1996, the Tibetan Freedom Concert draws up to 120,000 people per year to a rock festival for the benefit of the cause of the International Tibet Independence Movement. Also, socially aware metal bands such as Rage Against The Machine and System Of A Down form.

• Club/Dance music is very popular from 1990 to 1996 or 1997 with acts like C&C Music Factory, Technotronic, Real McCoy, Corona, Crystal Waters, La Bouche, RuPaul, Black Box, & Deee-Lite

• Trance, techno and electronica music becomes widely popular at rave parties in Europe/USA and in pop culture, particularly later in the decade. The drug Ecstasy, (aka MDMA or 'X') is popularized by rave culture.

• 1980s backlash, beginning in about 1992 and lasting into the 2000s. During most of the 1990s anything "Eighties" was considered to be ultimately uncool. As a result, people start wearing straighter hair, darker clothes and acoustic music becomes popular in opposition to the bright synthpop of the '80s.

• Music becomes more profane, by end of decade a Parental Advisory sticker becomes acceptable rather than controversial.

• In America, country music becomes more mainstream with popular chart topping artist such as Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, LeAnn Rimes, Billy Ray Cyrus, Faith Hill, and Tim McGraw. The genre will also build up a more extensive audience world-wide, which sees the first English 24 hour terrestrial country station open in 1994.

I know its alot of info to process, but its what i gathered from an anonymous source *cough* wiki *cough*

So! HOW DID YOUR 90's go??

I was still in elementary school, goin into middle and jr high!

Music of Ye Olde 1990's era? Let me see if I can remember back that far...Mary Chapin Carpenter comes to mind, along with Alison Krauss & Union Station and Great Big Sea. Locally, Kalapana and Na Leo Pilimehana and Pure Heart were touring the Japan/Hawaii/West Coast U.S. triangle. (Note: Pure Heart broke up and Colón popped up for one CD release, which led to Jake Shimabukuro's speed Uke Rock solo career.) :guitar: