Tell Me About the Stones

You know, someone could offer to make me a CD with all their favorite songs... :shades:

:laughing: :laughing::

Quoting Stevie, isn´t she lovely???? :laughing: :laughing:

Peaches, I´d love to, but all I have on cd is "Metamorphosis", a rarities album (which you´d love, by the way... but it´s not the classic great songs) I had "Sticky Fingers" too but I lost it when I moved or divorced or let some friend take it... :: so I´ll have to get it for me once again.

All I have is on vinyl... :angel:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"Don't you know the crime rate's going up, up, up, up, up

Shadoobie

To live in this town, you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough, tough, tough

They got rats on the west side, bedbugs uptown

What a mess, this town's in tatters

I've been shattered

My brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan

Huh, Shadoobie"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"I got nasty habits, I take tea at three

Yes, and the meat I eat for dinner

Must be hung up for a week

My best friend, he shoots water rats

And feeds them to his geese

Don'cha think there's a place for you

In between the sheets

Come on now, honey

We can build a home for three

Come on now, honey

Don't you wanna live with me

And there's a score of harebrained children

They're all locked in the nursery

They got earphone heads, they got dirty necks

They're so 20th century

Well they queue up for the bathroom

'Round about 7:35

Don'cha think we need a woman's touch to make it come alive

Yeah, you'd look good pram pushing down the high street

Come on now, honey

Don't you wanna live with me"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

CeeCee ? Who's that... some bonehead, I bet ? Do you mean Windy ? ;) :laughing: :jack:

Kevin.....shhhhh!

Sammy knows best...for real. :afro: But I reiterate, the London Sessions really gives you an idea from where they come musically, especially with Brian Jones.

on sunday mornings our radio station plays "the acoustic storm"....playing all acoustic versions of various groups. I heard them play "country honk"...honkey tonk woman, and I never heard this version before...I mentioned it to my co-worker and he absolutely LOVES this song, and went nuts when I told him I've never heard it...lol he asked me if I liked it, and I said It's definitely different....he would like to know what you guys think of that version....Let me know. thanks

"Country Honk" is on "Let it bleed"... I wonder if it´s acoustic... I´d swear there´s some bottleneck, or electric guitar...:: I remember a piano and a cow bell at the beginning... will have to wait till everybody´s up to listen to the record. I like this version but I don´t know if this is the one you mean. I´ll check later...

Or sammy will confirm! ;) :drummer:

I believe "Country Honk" was actually the original version of "Honky Tonk Women". They played it as a slower country-style blues tune. I think they use a steel guitar, but it's mainly acoustic. They spiced it up for the "Honky Tonk Women" single, using electric guitars and heavier drums, and turning it into the classic that everyone recognizes.

It's great, but it's a little overplayed.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I have learnt heaps reading this thread!! I love the Stones, I only really got into them when I was about 18 (2 years ago) and with the disadvantage of being born 'after' the Stones time, it is hard to find out about all their other great material that doesn't appear on greatest hits albums, but this thread has provided me with a wealth of options! Thanks everyone!

I love the song 'Under My Thumb', was it a big hit when it came out, or just an album track?

I just checked the charts and "Under my thumb" doesn´t seem to be there. I remember it as a track of Aftermath, mid 60´s ...

But I remember during the 82 Rolling Stones tour (and before too...) they opened the shows with "And now ladies & gentlemen, the greatest rock´n roll band in the world... The Rolling Stones...!" and "Under my Thumb" beginning to sound. Then they started with "Start me Up".

By the way, "Country Honk" isn´t that acoustic, though it really does sound acoustic... :: And the cowbell isn´t there, it´s a horn...

I believe "Country Honk" was actually the original version of "Honky Tonk Women". They played it as a slower country-style blues tune. I think they use a steel guitar, but it's mainly acoustic. They spiced it up for the "Honky Tonk Women" single, using electric guitars and heavier drums, and turning it into the classic that everyone recognizes.

That was also the period when Mick and Keith were partying with country rock legend Gram Parsons . So maybe his influence rubbed off on them a little bit in their music.

Oh Sammy you are right!!! Country Honk was the original(and the better) version. But i'll never knock they extremely overplayed Honky Tonk Women. I believe that was one of the first songs that drew me to the Stones. :coolio: :afro: :afro:

First song I hear by the Rolling Stones was "Paint it black". I guess I was nine or so because it wasn´t a new song but it had a couple of years, not more.... My parents gave me the money to buy the single and in the face B there was "Under the boardwalk" (strange combinations they make in South America...) I decided it could be better than the Beatles, who were releasing "Sgt Peppers" by then...

Oh Sammy you are right!!! Country Honk was the original(and the better) version. But i'll never knock they extremely overplayed Honky Tonk Women. I believe that was one of the first songs that drew me to the Stones. :coolio: :afro: :afro:

CeeCee....my co-worker i swear was gonna start throwing things at me when i told him i never heard of country honk....that was one of his first favorites of the stones also! :thumbsup: