Tell Me About the Stones

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did indeed have a functional zipper. (Sorry, no...nothing under the zipper). I'm hoping it will be worth mucho soon. One of the greatest albums and album covers ever.

BTW...Under My Thumb received tons of airplay here in the US. It must've been released as a single and it had to have charted. I'll check it out. Katie, you are the first girl I've ever heard who likes that song.

A lot of girls I know like that song. However, at my first Stones concert in Philly in 1981, there was a riot by several women's groups who were protesting outside the concert. They disliked the fact that the Stones wrote tunes like "Under My Thumb" and "Brown Sugar" and the like, saying that those and other Stones songs were meant to hurt women. I guess some people have nothing better to do than find things to protest about.

Anyway, they got hosed down. That was cool. It was only like the third concert I had ever gone to, and two of them had ended up with rioters getting hosed down outside....the first was Blue Oyster Cult.

Rock riots rock! :jester:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Thanks Uncle :)

I'm not into feminism either. I think 'Under My Thumb' has a great sound, it is kinda mellow and rockin' at the same time. A song is about much more than lyrics, and this is one of my fave Stones songs too! And to think, if I hadn't heard 'Angie' on a tv commercial and decided to investigate this band.... ::

I love "Under my thumb", just as "Back Street Girl", as I´m less a radical feminist than a Stones fans. And I had the original SF cover when it was released, you just unzipened and there was the white slip of D´Alessandro... nothing.

When I got that record in 71 I asked my dad if he could get me six more Stones albums, I was thinking of six of the previous records I still didn´t have. But as it was their first record for their own label, the distributor (don´t remember if it was Philips or Warner or what in Argentina) only had "Sticky Fingers". My dad was a journalist and he had promo copies, so they gave him six copies of Sticky Fingers...

I made six friends happy the day after.

And I got the money to buy the complete Stones collection till 1971.

I remember that in '74~'75, there were also protests in L.A. over the promotion of the album and coming tour for "Black and Blue" which featured huge billboards with a woman all bruised and beaten , but smiling .

While I love "Sticky Fingers" , I'd have to choose "Let It Bleed" followed by "Beggar's Banquet " as being their best .

I bought Honky Tonk Women as a 45(yes I'm that old)I swear Brown Sugar was on the flip side. What a bargain!! :rockon:

In America (North as well as South) they make strange copies... I have some albums which were never released nowhere else, I guess I´ll sell them one day.

I also bought the "Honky Tonk Women" single... I don´t remember what was on the other side but I remember it was in 1969.