2012 Olympics site ?

Kevin

edna! they were in athens last year!!!! and it was amazing, one of the best experiences of my life! i handed in my masters thesis 2 weeks early to go back and watch, i got to go to 2 track and field events and the beach volleyball final. i think i was even on tv for one event because i was sitting behind the flags!

That´s what I mean... if you had the Olympic Games every four years it would bring more money and it would follow a beautifull tradition... older than Christmas!!! :) :) :) :) :) The debt... well, with all the money Greece will earn being the site of the Games ALWAYS , Greece could pay and have benefits.

According to President Chirac it can't be London because of our cuisine. His adult, constructive comment yesterday was that the only contribution the English have made to Europe is mad cow disease!

Now I am not normally racist or francophobic, but thats rich coming from a garlic-eating surrender-monkey....

In this country we don't mind who gets the games (if we don't), provided it isn't the French. Old prejudice runs deep and comments like that only serve to remind who the 'old enemy' really is.

Apologies to anybody French. I don't have a problem with the French really, except when they try to feed me horse instead of beef, and give me that Gallic sneer when they pretend not to understand my Franglais.

Oh, Monsieur le Président!! :doh: :laughing: :laughing: He won´t run for another re-election so he can show how stupid he is.

The point of British-French being enemies is that we still didn´t pardon you for burning Joan of Arc!! :laughing: :laughing:

Diggs, we don´t eat that much garlic... we drink a lot of red wine and eat saucisson et fromage... et baguette! :beatnik:

I'm just joshing, Edna. I'm sure you know. We do have this long-standing animosity its true, which is odd in a way given our countries share so much in terms of DNA. If the French haven't forgiven us for burning Joan-of Arc, they should remember they all thought she was barking mad as well.

I have spent many happy weeks in France over my lifetime, and only as an adult have I felt the anti-English sentiment. I can understand resentment particularly in the countryside given us Brits are inflating property prices by buying second homes over there, but nowadays that is about it. We gave the French Bovine CJD, they gave us the Golden Delicious and Plastic Bertrand....fair swap if you ask me.

Oh, they gave us Eric 'seagulls' Cantona too, which was a good thing until he defected to the Munics.

"well muse, the cure and placebo were in paris, that's not really french poplar music, is it ? :P" - I'm just joking here too Invisible. I'm sure the BBC were totally unbiased in deciding which of the multitude of talent to show on the telly. Remember lots of it went out on the radio too and lots was shown on the telly the day after, so perhaps the Paris show was included then?

Regards

I'm just joshing, Edna. I'm sure you know.

You´re right. I know.

:laughing:

Frenchs are said to be the most chauvinistic people. Maybe there´s a bit of truth... but I must say it´s also a country who gave papers to many foreign people and the melting pot there is amazing. I haven´t been in France for years now, I think I´ll go maybe by the end of the year. I miss the feeling of being just one more...

England gave us The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and some others. What did we Fench give? Gainsbourg, Françoise Hardy, Polnareff, Gréco, Piaf... and also Plastic Bertrand!! :doh:

I never felt any anti-British feeling in France (just the old joke about Joan of Arc...) Maybe some anti-German feeling, as there are still many people having suffered from the occupation. You still can find people with the tattooed number on their wrists... I guess we need time. My grandad was half-German.

But Berlin isn´t running for the Olympic Games site, so now I guess Chirac can hate Blair and be a friend of Schroeder... time makes funny friends.

i always hated german music and assumed it was all crap until i moved here - now i can appreciate that there are some decent, in fact some great bands! understanding the lyrics definitely helps though!!

i love piaf! mainly jeff buckley's influence - also my big brother is a big fan too!

At the recent 'staged' battle to comemmorate Trafalgar, we had the good grace to not refer to the loosers as French, but to describe the navies as 'Red' and 'Blue' instead. This magnanamous display took place days prior to Jack 'i'm off to jail' Chirac's remarks about English cuisene. The man needs a different job methinks - sewing mailbags and playing 'find the Euro' with Big Gerard of D Wing should fit the bill.

Gisela, I don't underestimate the contribution of France to contemporary music.....

Regards

It's down to Paris and London , now ...

Diggs , any "St.Crispen's Day " speeches at these crucial final moments ? ::

St. Crispen's Day SpeechWilliam Shakespeare, 1599

Enter the KING

WESTMORELAND. O that we now had here

But one ten thousand of those men in England

That do no work to-day!

KING. What's he that wishes so?

My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;

If we are mark'd to die, we are enow

To do our country loss; and if to live,

The fewer men, the greater share of honour.

God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.

By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,

Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;

It yearns me not if men my garments wear;

Such outward things dwell not in my desires.

But if it be a sin to covet honour,

I am the most offending soul alive.

No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.

God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour

As one man more methinks would share from me

For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!

Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,

Let him depart; his passport shall be made,

And crowns for convoy put into his purse;

We would not die in that man's company

That fears his fellowship to die with us.

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.

He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,

Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,

And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,

Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,

And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'

Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,

And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,

But he'll remember, with advantages,

What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,

Familiar in his mouth as household words-

Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,

Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

I still think that Paris will still take it ...

Kevin, if we gave enough in bribes to the IOC members, I'm sure we will get it. I don't know whether the Agincourt spirit counts much when the brown envelopes are passed.

If the French get it, jolly well done to them. I hope the competitors like offal, amphibian limbs and crunchy invertebrates stuffed with slime!

If we get it, I hope the competitors bring pushbikes to get around, as London's transport network may just struggle...., but at least they will get a decent pie and chips for fuel!

Regards

What do you mean??? madrid if off??? Oh, that would be great!!!!:D

YES!!!!! YEEEEESSSSS!!!!! Madrid is off!!!! :happybanana:

Hope it will be London as it seems you would love to have the Games there. :bow:

Anyways, I doubt I´d be living in Madrid in 2012... but this city can´t be the site for such games, they are building stadiums in a hurry... we have been asking for a decent place to hold rock concerts since 1976 and rien, so now they can cry over sports. It´s a pollitical trick and I´m glad the right wing won´t be re-elected due to this.

Go, London, go!!!! Give ´em pudding!!!!!!! :drummer: