Live 8 Boosts Record Sales of Artists

RonJonSurfer

Live 8 Stars See Record Sales Soar

Live 8 stars who saw their record sales rocket following their performances at the London leg of the charity extravaganza on Saturday are being urged to donate the extra profits to charity.

The figures, released by British music retailer HMV, fuels cynics' claims that many acts played Live 8 to boost their own careers.

Pink Floyd's reunion prompted a massive 1,400% sales hike of their 'Echoes: The Best of' album while Madonna, Joss Stone and Dido saw their CD sales more than double.

Pink Floyd has answered critics by refusing to profit from the event.

Guitarist David Gilmour says, "If other artists donate their extra royalties to charity, perhaps the record companies could do the same. This money should be used to save lives."

HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo says, "Like it's predecessor 20 years ago the Live 8 concert is having a marked effect on sales."

guilty, i bought the scissor sister's album and the best of REM from hmv on sunday.

One has to bear in mind that the cds from bands that appeared in the LIVE 8 gig were on sale though (in HMV at least); I'm sure that helped alot! pink floyd albums are normally ridiculously expensive

I watched Live 8 on MTV, and saw an advertisement for Echoes. I thought that it was strange, to see a PF ad on MTV. I guess that goes to show how good Pink Floyd is. One performance on two teenybopper music channels, and look how much their sales go up! Of course, it was on TV all around the world, but still, 1,400% is pretty awesome.

Oh, yes, I´m getting too cold too... ::

:laughing: :laughing: It´s just a thought I had at 12.30 AM after watching "Desperate Housewives" and smoking a J.

Anyways, I love Pink Floyd. I guess they must feel old for rock...gigs, rehearsals, album, tour, promo...But they can feel free to do what they want now, they gave us such a great time with their great music for so many years... ::

invisible_r wrote:

guilty, i bought the scissor sister's album and the best of REM from hmv on sunday.

One has to bear in mind that the cds from bands that appeared in the LIVE 8 gig were on sale though (in HMV at least); I'm sure that helped alot! pink floyd albums are normally ridiculously expensive

Don't you guys have places that sell used cds? I haven't bought a new cd in a couple of years. I buy from Amazon vendors; there's also Amoeba in LA and Rasputin in NorCal :coolio: Some of their used cd prices are ridiculously low. I think the cheapest cd I bought was a Naked Soul e.p. which was out of print at the time... it cost me fitty cent :beatnik:

we do have used cd stores, i have 2 across the street as a matter of fact, but it just don't want used cds, does that make me spoiled? i do have cds i've "stolen" off my brother (like "dark side of the moon") but that's different, i was young and wanted to be educated!:)

I rarely buy from these stores but when I do, it´s good. They are in good shpe, usually. At least in Madrid, where most of the people selling their records (I must have sold maybe 5000 albums&singles in the last twenty years...) are rock critics, dj´s, even people working in labels, people who have promo copies and they don´t even listened to it once. Journalists use to listen to it just to see if they like it and then sell it in case they don´t. You have to get rid of that many records, otherwise there wouldn´t be room for the ones you really like.

we do have used cd stores, i have 2 across the street as a matter of fact, but it just don't want used cds, does that make me spoiled? i do have cds i've "stolen" off my brother (like "dark side of the moon") but that's different, i was young and wanted to be educated!:)

I think it's nice to have new CDs, but I have my fair share of used CDs, feels like they've got more history!!