lose yourself - eminem (sample used)

elayna

OK, I believe that this is NOT a sample. I think someone actually played it.

It is somewhat similar to part of the "Kashmir" riff. It's even in the same key. The first chord in each is actually a standard guitar "power chord", utilizing the notes D and A (the first and fifth scale degrees in the key of D). The second chord has a D and a Bb (the first and flatted/minor 6th scale degree). The top note in "Kashmir" goes up chromatically two more half steps (to B natural and C) while maintaining the pedalled root note of D. "Lose Yourself" simply rocks back and forth between the top A and top Bb, with the pedalled D root note.

The rhythm is different in each song (eighth notes in "Lose Yourself" and 16th notes in "Kashmir), and the guitar tone and actual guitar used are different. "Kashmir" was played on an open-tuned Danelectro guitar, probably on the bridge pickup (a thinner, brighter tone) and "Lose Yourself" is most definitely a Fender Stratocaster-type guitar, using the neck pickup (a fatter, warmer tone). The distortion on each guitar is different as well.

I can't believe I just theoretically analyzed an Eminem song...but just trying to help!