Tuesdays With Morrie

PSYCHOcatholic

This is a great TV movie about a retired teacher named Morrie Schwartz who is slowly dying of Lou Gherig's disease. Instead of being miserable about his inevitable death, Morrie has accepted it. An old pupil of his, Mitch Albom, has come to visit Morrie after hearing of his sickness on the news. Morrie starts to teach Mitch about his ideas on the meaning of life.

It is made very clear from the very beginning of this movie that Morrie is going to die. Knowing this makes you dread the ending of this movie, but not as much as watching Morrie in such pain, especially at night. There were great acting jobs by everyone in this movie, including Wendy Moniz and Hank Azaria. But Jack Lemmon steals the show.

Well, i havent made a post in awhile, ive been busy, but when i get to sit down and watch a movie and relax, ill do it. I was takin a stroll through Blockbuster one night lookin for something for me and my girl to watch, and i just sighted Tuesdays with Morrie. I heard the reviews and heard about the book and knew...hey...if Oprah liked it.

So, i went home and popped it in and wanted to fall asleep at first, but then i started really listening to what Morrie was saying. He says "When we learn to die, we learn to live." When you can accept that you will die someday, you live life differently. He also says to always forgive everyone before it's too late and to love everyone. "We must love one another, or die."

He talked about an old Buddhist belief or tradition. When you wake up, you pretend there is a bird on your shoulder and you ask...is today my day to die? SO, you can really take those things to heart. Sociology seems very interesting to me. I dont know, knowing more about the meanings of life, could help you live differently. I loved the movie personally, and yes, it did make me cry. I remember a post being made about life changing movies...i think i made it. I guess i just wanted some thoughts on this movie. We are gonna watch it at church, and i need to throw out something good...maybe even something for them to think about.

THanks....PEACE!!! PAUL!

i read the book but haven't seen the film yet and i'm looking forward to it. jack lemmon is a great actor. last october i was leaving ireland to move here, having been bursting into tears at the drop of a hat for over a week. in the airport that morning my mum asked me if i had a book to read on the journey and i said 'yes, tuesdays with morrie'. mum said 'ooooh no! you're in a bad enough state as it is, you're not reading that' and bought me harry potter instead! a couple of months later i read the book and while i found it touching and true i was kind of thinking, what's the big deal... til i got to the end. it was about 4.30am when i finished reading it, i had this choking lump in my throat and i had to sob for half an hour to be rid of it. i'd highly recommend it to the few people left who haven't read it yet!! my favourite quote is: 'death is the end of a life, not a relationship'

I used a clip of that for my Gerantology project last semester. It was the part where is talks about needing people for everything now but goes on to say we always need help especially in the middle of life. It was a really moving scene and I got A.