A '70s Blast from the Past

MuzikTyme

Good morning world!

In another thread I was reminded of how today's TV commercials lack originality. I've always thought a TV commercial should have a catchy, original jingle. It seems today that advertising creativity has been replaced with copy and paste.

Anyway, besides classic music, nothing stirs my memory like an old TV commercial. The following is one of my favorites of all time. A lot of you are too young to remember this commercial for Levis blue jeans but those of you who do, my wish is that you enjoy hearing it again as much as I did.

This commercial featured a spinning man wearing levis as a collage of different pictures and animations flashed in the background. The following song was played during this kaleidoscope of a commercial.

Haw, haw! ::

Le-he-he-he-he-vis

I'm not sure why, but silliness in the 70s commercials was rampant and I, to this day, still get a kick out of 'em. Take this next one, please! No, but seriously, this next one was a cheerioes commercial where a man couldn't eat his cheerioes until he yodeled. Now, not everyone wants to yodel the first thing in the morning and the guy in the commercial was no exception. ::

Just, cheeri-yodel!

I'd like to build the world a home

And furnish it with love

Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow-white turtle doves

I'd like to teach the world to sing

In perfect harmony

I'd like to hold it in my arms and keep it company

I'd like to see the world for once

All standing hand in hand

And hear them echo through the hills "Ah, peace throughout the land"

(That's the song I hear)

I'd like to teach the world to sing (that the world sings today)

In perfect harmony

Sorry no endoresements until the check clears -- ok, they will have to mail it in first, then if it clears ... ::

It was for toilet tissue and I'm pretty sure it was "Cottonelle." It's really early 70's and all I recall is a little kitty cat chasing the roll down the stairs. But it was the music that always caught my attention for it was dreamy-like.

If anyone can find the link to that tune, I wouldn't mind hearing it again.

:guitar:

• 2 months later...

Some of my favorites include:

The Life cereal commercial with Mikey in it.

"Let's get Mikey to try it! He won't eat it! He hates everything!" "He likes it! Hey Mikey!"

The Purina Cat Chow commercial?

"Purina Cat Chow, chow-chow-chow?"

The 9-Lives cat food commercials with Morris in them?

"Morris! Time for din-din!"

And of course all those 7up commercials with Geoffrey Holder in them.

Plop plop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is

Two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun

It walks down stairs, alone or in pairs, and makes a slinkity sound.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

There's a few.

Nice ones mentioned. What ever happened to original jingles like that? It's amazing how, even after 30 years, those commercials still ring clear in my memory.

Now, instead of hearing an original jingle, most of what I hear on new commercials today are classic rock songs. Instead of being reminded of my first french kiss I gotta see a classic song played behind someone selling a bar of soap.

It's bad enough that many songs are destroyed by lousy covers but I'll never get used to seeing songs I grew up with used to sell a product.

What ever happened to originality?

It's because of the overwhelming amount of liberal arts majors at schools nowadays - most of those grads go to ad jobs. Before, it was about hiring able people. Nowadays, all they hire you on is solely based on what's written on a piece of paper. A lot of those kids played with their computers to make visual effects (easier than drawing storyboards, writing scripts, and animating), so that's what commercials (and a lot of movies) are all about currently.

Remember Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World and his description of modern entertainment being about bells and whistles and no substance? We're witnessing that now :beatnik:

Now, instead of hearing an original jingle, most of what I hear on new commercials today are classic rock songs.

If you watch Nickolodeon (my brother does all the time) you still hear a few jingles. Like for gator golf "What could be greater than golf with a gator? Gator golf!" But on that chanel its mostly rapping cartoon characters.

How about Sleep Country's? "Sleep country, USA! Why buy a matress anywhere else?" or Mattress world "Its not too late to sleep like a baby, Matress world!

It's because of the overwhelming amount of liberal arts majors at schools nowadays

Actually, its Cyberdemon's fault.