LIVE 8

Danielj

Discuss.

Canada And England were the two best by far. Pink Floyd comes together, The Who kicked asssssssssssss. Anyone catch the Canadian finish? Neil Young got about everyone involved onstage and played rockin the free world. What could be more appropriate? Everyone in the country I'm sure singing along with all of their hearts.

Amazing.

I Say we campaign Bob Geldof for King Of The World.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it on VH1, and the funniest moment was when they cut off Elton John in the middle of his first song (saturday night's allright for fighting), to air Maroon 5 play 3 songs. I'm glad they gave Pink Floyd 4 songs, even if they did cut them off during Comfortably Numb.

Got home from the club at 2am and started watching Live8 on Fox8 here. Bloody time differences!! I saw Greenday, Good Charlotte, Audioslave, R.E.M, Tina Arena & Craig David, Stereophonics, The Black Eyed Peas, Travis, Bryan Adams, Bjork, Keane, Bob Geldof & The Boomtown Rats, Dido, Elton John, Duran Duran, Faith Hill.

They are showing a highlights package tonight so hopefully I will get to see Pink Floyd then.

I saw the beginning and then I left, but we came back home soon and I saw the rest. I loved Pink Floyd... The Who were old and tired... Madonna was alright. But I recorded the missing part on video and I saw it later. Snow Patrol were very good, and I even liked Linkin Park, which I didn´t know. They said The Guess Who played too but I didn´t see them.

And I saw The Killers for the first time and they are good!! I just had heard one of their records...

Anyways, it´s good to have some live music on TV, it´s rare in this olive oil country.

ok so i went to hyde park, could hear music so i got really excited but we could only get to a certain point where there were bariers, and there were loads of people just sitting there listening. some people jumped the fence but the actual venue was so far away i don't think they would have gotten too far.

anyway, i heard the first three acts live then decided to go home. apart from mariah carey, which i purposely decided to miss, everyone else was really good! as soon as pink floyd came on i thought i was going to cry, i just sat there transfixed on the tv, didn't even sing along...

yeah, they did look old and tired, in fact it was a bit shocking because they looked like my dad and other people's dads rather than this supercool band.

anyway sorry for rambling, bob geldof king! i'd like to go to the march too but i have too many important things to do on the same day that i don't think i will.

I think all in all it was a huge success! I was glad we didn't go as it was a very long day and alot of standing which I can't do anyway. But it was well worth it for those who got to see so many great bands live and campaigning for a good cause.

I think the only disappointments were Madonna and Snoop Dogg swearing when they were fully aware it was a family event, LIVE on TV and the crowd were amped and excited enough to not have to resort to swearing to get a reaction. Bad taste.

Other than that, nearly all the acts we watched on TV were great! Mariah, Miss Dynamite, Babyshambles(I wanted to smack the lead singer for looking stoned, putting zero effort into the performance and wasting Elton John's time) and Black Eyed Peas were terrible, but the rest were really good! Kaizer Chiefs rocked the Philly crowd - that was immense to watch!

I think the only disappointments were Madonna and Snoop Dogg swearing when they were fully aware it was a family event, LIVE on TV Bad taste.

Totally agree with you. Was it Greenday (Berlin) the other band that used f******s here and there? Bad taste, yes.

But I wouldn´t have been there even if I was in London or Philadephia or wherever it took place... I´ve had my share of Woodstock style and I love to watch it on TV since I have a large comfortable sofa.

I can understand how they would get wound up being on stage, but it really isn't any excuse when you are a role-model to millions!

and Rach, I felt the same as you did when Pink Floyd were on - tears in my eyes!!

Well I see it as being disrespectful to the folks and families who went there to support the bands and to the cause. It didn't add anything to the performances and I found it to be in bad taste, even though Madonna apologised for it later. It was a family show and broadcast all across the world, not a personal gig for any of the artists, they can do what they like at their own shows. Just my opinion :D

the swearing didn't bother me too much either - lots of people did - greenday, jay-z, madonna, snoop dogg, the who, i noticed some others as well. i thought madonna was a bit scary when she telling the crowd to sing along though - reminded me of the teacher in the opening credits of 'fame' - right here's where you start paying, in sweat! otherwise i really liked her performance - it reminded me that she's not just a wannabe english caricature in tweed but that she's the queen of pop for a reason! and her breakdancers were amazing!

i thought mariah carey, although she played a terrible song, turned in the best vocal performance from what i saw! craig david and tina arena were terrible - two vocal divas singing together barely rehearsed is always a recipe for disaster, they were doing totally discordant melismas the whole time. also, i've sung 'come together' live before and i know the lyrics are tricky but they couldn't take their eyes off the teleprompter - how embarrassing!

michael stipe's blue shirt was nicely coordinated with the blue facepaints... what was all that about?? someone should tell him that no amount of facepaints will cover up those crow's feet! rem played well though, and i love a band that's not afraid to play their iron lung in a situation like that.

dido sang quite well and held her own in 'seven seconds' with youssou n'dour, who's pretty cool. annie lennox looked and sounded fantastic! chris martin seemed to be struggling with his falsetto, which was a pity. robbie williams and billie joe armstrong both need a stern talking-to about trying to cover freddie. however greenday's performance in berlin was pretty good. michelle and kelly from destiny's child need to be fed, lots. beyonce sang brilliantly. stevie wonder was fantastic as always! i thought black eyed peas were fun and it was cool when the marleys came out and sang 'get up stand up'.

saw some german bands too, there's a spate of bands with female singers. wir sind helden are a cool band but the singer was awful live and the same goes for juli! don't know if it was a monitor problem or what but they couldn't do it! the soehne mannheims were pretty good though! can't believe the stupid german tv station didn't show faithless though, i was dying to see them! my friend in ireland said they rocked the WMD song! they showed brian wilson though, and although he looks a little old and tired, he sang perfectly and the backing band are great!

the concert in joburg looked like great fun - i only saw snippets but it was nice to hear something new and different for me!

bon jovi gets my award for biggest ponce of the day! of all the performers who were on all day he was the only one i noticed waiting for the band to be onstage before he marched on last to tumultous applause. wanker! then he only managed to squeeze out one 'oh-oh living on a prayer' for the whole song! someone should tell him that stupid sunglasses and skin-tight pants do not a rockstar make. even sir paul, who's twenty years older than him, can still reach the notes in his own songs!

speaking of skintight pants, tim mcgraw looked like he was sewn into his - disturbing!! he couldn't even straighten his legs! the italian ground seemed altogether quite unimpressed with him!

best vocal performance from a male goes to simon le bon - he sang perfectly! he needs to lose the scarily plucked eyebrows though!

the weirdest show was the one on tokyo! the hall it was in looked pretty small! i only saw good charlotte, who seemed pretty unhappy and bjork who looked suitably bizarre and sang my favourite song of hers 'all is full of love'.

the camera work was pretty awful - i mean i understand how difficult it is to coordinate such a huge event with little rehearsal. but there's only so many times i want to see that girl in the front with the union jack bikini top. i'd rather see the bands, thanks! i feel like there were some people in the crowd i'd recognise now on the street, especially that cool rocker couple who knew lyrics to all the good songs. my favourite shot was the random close up of slash's bellybutton ring - ew! that man needs to stop wearing leather from head to toe - it's not attractive!

i thought it was quite naughty of the pet shop boys to go to the centre of the former ussr and sing 'go west, life is peaceful there'. otherwise their performance was gorgeously tacky and fun!

there were loads i didn't get to see unfortunately but i begged my brother and boyfriend to tape what they could so i hope to catch most of what i missed when i get home. i didn't catch u2, even though they should have been playing my favourite u2 song ever, one. so hopefully i'll see that when i get home. they played 'st pepper' well with sir paul and the four brass players dressed up was funny!

sadly, after waiting up til 5.30 am to see pink floyd, which the announcer kept reminding us was coming up, they only showed one song!! so i have to watch it when i get home.... so long to wait!

sir bob's performance of 'i don't like mondays' was understated and it was very sweet how at the end he said 'thank you for letting me do that'. he's a truly amazing man. the sheer scale of what was organised for yesterday was immense and of course the main thanks goes to the people who built the stages, worked security, all the necessities. but without bob's influence it would never have happened and i'm very proud of him. it makes me very proud to come from such a small nation, ireland, and see bob and bono, two of our countrymen, at the helm of such an amazing important historic event.

I so agree with your destiny's child comment, beyonce looked fat compared to them which is totally wrong! i also thought annie lennox was well cool, and the scissor sisters performance convinced me to buy the cd, plus i love the way ana matronic carries herself!

you know i'm feeling a bit depressed after yesterday, i really really would have loved to have been there, and i really really want to go to a gig asap! unfortunately, there's nothing i want to see, or the things i do are already sold out :(

yeah, i'm gutted i missed the scissor sisters - i love them! ana matronic is feisty!! my brother met her in melbourne and had his photo taken with her and she is positively skinny in it which is surprising because i would have thought she was fairly plump!