Luther Vandross has died

Crazy Don

I kind of expected it after his stroke last year, poor guy had so many health problems. I'm not a huge fan of his, having only heard whatever songs he had on the radio, but he had such a smooth and expressive voice. Today's American Idol "oversingers" could take a lesson or two from him. One of my favorites by him was "Here and Now". What a loss.

How do I love Luther? Let me count the ways...

What an amazing voice...what a wonderful songwriter...what a fabulous stage presence...what a talented man.

Here is some info on him. He had such a great way of interpreting lyrics...you haven't heard anything until you've heard him sing "A House is Not a Home", which is a beautifully haunting song no matter who sings is...God bless Burt Bacharach.

A chair is still a chair

Even when there?s no one sitting there

But a chair is not a house

And a house is not a home

When there?s no one there to hold you tight,

And no one there you can kiss good night.

A room is still a room

Even when there?s nothing there but gloom;

But a room is not a house,

And a house is not a home

When the two of us are far apart

And one of us has a broken heart.

Now and then I call your name

And suddenly your face appears

But it?s just a crazy game

When it ends it ends in tears.

Darling, have a heart,

Don?t let one mistake keep us apart.

I?m not meant to live alone. turn this house into a home.

When I climb the stair and turn the key,

Oh, please be there still in love with me.

But I digress. "Never Too Much" is on my favorite songs of all time list, "Here and Now" is the ultimate wedding song, and I firmly believe that Ruben Studdard's note by note rendition of Luther's version of the Carpenters' "Superstar" is what won him American Idol.

I'm rambling, but I'll stop now. I understand that we all don't listen to the same type of music, but Luther is too important for me just to throw a couple of RIPs at.

Piano_and_rose.gif